2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at F150, Need you opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:59 PM
crawdad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at F150, Need you opinions

Hi folks, my old 92 F250 has had it and I'm looking for another truck. I saw one yesterday that a guy has for sale, but he wasn't there so I couldn't see inside, other than looking in the window.
The truck is a 2006 F150, 4X4, 5.4 Triton engine, auto, power everything, looks like leather seats and it is also the stepside (flareside?) model.
It is a very sharp looking truck for sure.
My questions are how do you tell what the trim level is without looking at the paperwork? All it says on the outside is "F150 5.4 Triton". How can you tell if it's a XLT, Lariat, etc.?
Also, I've heard horror stories about these Triton engines and their sparkplug issues? Should I just walk away from this one or is this an issue that can be dealt with by a good mechanic that knows what he is doing?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:10 PM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

I love my 05 this body truck is great, If its power windows and all with a 5.4 I'd bet it's an XLT maybe more I don't think there all labeled. Only way I would say it is higher for sure if it has the digital climate control then it's got to be an FX4 or Lariat and higher. The plugs can be rough but with the tool they make for that issue it's do able for any descent mechanic. Oh and yes it's a flareside now a days LOL.... Good luck on the truck hunt..

Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 PM
crawdad
Senior User
Originally Posted by SCRWDRVR
I love my 05 this body truck is great, If its power windows and all with a 5.4 I'd bet it's an XLT maybe more I don't think there all labeled. Only way I would say it is higher for sure if it has the digital climate control then it's got to be an FX4 or Lariat and higher. The plugs can be rough but with the tool they make for that issue it's do able for any descent mechanic. Oh and yes it's a flareside now a days LOL.... Good luck on the truck hunt..
I stopped by today and got a good look at it and was able to test drive it. The owner wasn't there but he left keys with his wife. The truck drives great and it does have the digital climate control...at least I think it's digital. You turn the **** and it has the degrees in numbers, etc. Has the powers seats and windows, CD changer, all the bells and whistles. It has 90,000 miles on it and he is asking $9500.00. According to the blue book that is a very good price for one in very good condition as this one seems to be. What do you think?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by crawdad
I stopped by today and got a good look at it and was able to test drive it. The owner wasn't there but he left keys with his wife. The truck drives great and it does have the digital climate control...at least I think it's digital. You turn the **** and it has the degrees in numbers, etc. Has the powers seats and windows, CD changer, all the bells and whistles. It has 90,000 miles on it and he is asking $9500.00. According to the blue book that is a very good price for one in very good condition as this one seems to be. What do you think?
that would be a steal, that same truck at a dealer would be priced way higher(don't know how high, you didn't mention if it is crew, supercab, reg cab, etc.) but it would not be 9,500. And even though I don't care for the bed style myself, it'll always be a stepside to me!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am no expert, seeing as I am so young, but in my personal opinion, and basing of what I got my 06 for (mine was an FX4) that is an excellent price. If it is an FX4, at least with mine, and assuming it hasn't been modified, on the back side it should have a big FX4 sticker on it. Again, this may vary, but it should say FX4 in the bottom middle of the instrument panel like in this picture: http://www.f150online.com/galleries/...817-145055.jpg
Lastly, an FX4 should have fender flares/trim. Some of the lower models have them as well, so that is not a surefire way to test it. Lariats and King Ranch's should be fairly easy to spot as the badges on the outside below the mirrors will say either "Lariat" or King Ranch".

Anyway, that is my two cents. Take it as you will. Hopefully you can get the truck!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
crawdad
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigunit54
that would be a steal, that same truck at a dealer would be priced way higher(don't know how high, you didn't mention if it is crew, supercab, reg cab, etc.) but it would not be 9,500. And even though I don't care for the bed style myself, it'll always be a stepside to me!
The truck has four doors on it. I don't know if that's a supercab, crew cab or what, but I kinda like it after having just two doors all these years. Stepside is what I've always called them too. If I'm not mistaken, the Flareside, is what they use to call the full bed style (no step, etc.)..
I'll be going back again tomorrow to talk with the owner and get more information on it and will probably go for an extended test drive. If everything checks out, I'll probably go for it. The only thing that bothers me is that nasty sparkplug issue.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:17 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Supercab has the two half doors on the rear. Supercrew has 4 full doors. Fleetside is what they call the standard bed. If that is a crew cab it is an excellent deal. Those are hard to come by in my area as everyone wants the 4 doors.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:11 PM
crawdad
Senior User
Originally Posted by cb_13
Supercab has the two half doors on the rear. Supercrew has 4 full doors. Fleetside is what they call the standard bed. If that is a crew cab it is an excellent deal. Those are hard to come by in my area as everyone wants the 4 doors.
They're not half doors. They're full size doors for sure.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 PM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

Definitely a good price for a supercrew and I'm betting it's an FX4 from what your saying....

Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
02transam
Senior User
If it's a 2006 f150 4wd supercrew with leather and only 90k miles you sir have yourself one hell of a deal............ A dealer would prob be asking 14k+ for that same vehicle. Do you have any pics?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 PM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:48 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
Originally Posted by 02transam
If it's a 2006 f150 4wd supercrew with leather and only 90k miles you sir have yourself one hell of a deal............ A dealer would prob be asking 14k+ for that same vehicle. Do you have any pics?
Dealer would easily ask 16+ for that kinda truck. Don't be scared of the plug issue. At that price you can pay a ford dealer to do it, and yeah it will be more than it should, but you would still come out way ahead. If you're not gonna do the plugs yourself I would have a dealer do it, they know what they are doing and can get them out. You def. don't want a mechanic who hasn't dealt with them before.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 PM
crawdad
Senior User
Pics coming in a couple of days.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM
02transam
Senior User
Let me know if you decide not to get it, b/c I'll buy and flip it for 16k.... lol I am serious though.......

Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM
crawdad
Senior User
It's an

Let me know if you decide not to get it, b/c I'll buy and flip it for 16k.... lol I am serious though.......
Sorry 02, I just forked over the cash and pulled into the driveway a few minutes ago. The truck is an FX4. I don't know how I overlooked it yesterday, but today I was looking at the odometer and there it was, right below the gauges, spelled out bigger than spit "FX4".
Now I only have one other question...what is an FX4?

Quick Reply: Looking at F150, Need you opinions