Fuel Sender Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Fuel Sender Woes

Ok gang,

I finially got my 78 Supercab 4x4 351m C6 on the road this year.

And like many of us it took me way longer than I ever expected to get her done.

Ive driven the truck about a dozen times now and have been working out the bugs as they occur.

steering issues, exhaust issues, emergency brake issues, and now.....

Fuel Tank issues!!

The truck was running at idle in the drive way couple weeks ago and just stalled out. I thought it was strange, cranked her over and got no startup.

I then switched to the rear tank and cranked her over again and it started right up. I switch back to the front tank and the truck idled for an hour or so with no problems.

Couple days go buy and I take the truck to work. Leave the house on the front tank, get to my second turn and the truck stumbles and dies. I coast into a parking lot, switch to the rear tank and vroooooom, starts right up.

All this would be fine if the sending unit in the rear tank was working.

I cleaned and made sure both senders were working before I installed them during the finial steps of my build, along with testing the floats.

So, yesterday I pulled the sender out of the front tank.

The first thing I noticed was the Red tank liner the PO installed was pelling off from inside the tank.

Does ethenol not like the old style tank liner?

The sender and the float looked good, but in my haste to assemble the truck I forgot to install a fuel sender sock (filter in tank), and I think the floating/pelling/flaking liner was clogging the pickup.

Hopefully a sock will help the front tank work. Id replace the fuel tank all together but they dont make the supercab 4x4 fuel tanks.

First I took the sender from the front tank and plugged it into the rear tank harness. Switched the valve, and the gauge worked. So my rear tank sender is having issues. But the question is....was it the sender or the float acting like a boat anchor.

I then pull the rear tank so I can see if the float or the sender is my rear tank sending unit issue. I pulled the sender and ....

where the hell is the brass float????

I sloshed the tank around and hear a slight ting sound. After some josteling .... this fell out!

The good float in the picture is one of my spares. The remnants in the front are of the float I had to fish out of the rear tank!!!

what gives.

The rear tank was clean when I installed it, no liner, a good sock. a good sender. Now I find that my Brass float has been eaten alive! and the Brass rivet that holds the wire to the resistor pickup on the sender was also eaten.

Any body ever seen this?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 AM
thatsrealnice
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Wow, you sure you didn't fill up with acid one day instead of gas? I've never seen anything like that. How much time are we talking here since you installed it? You didn't treat the inside of the tank with any kind of rust remover did you?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The tanks were installed last fall.

The front and rear tanks was filled with fuel and stabil to keep them from rusting(big help that was).

I didnt start driving the truck until april of this year.