1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Toyota Steering Question Using 4spd on floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Toyota Steering Question Using 4spd on floor

Alright guys,

I have read hours and hours of threads and havent sumbled apon the answer.

My truck is a 56 f100 (crew cab) with a 272v8 and a 4spd on the floor.

I just aquired a toyota steering box and am starting to figure out what else I need as well as some pictures for reference.

We will be making our own mounting bracket with the pictures I have found from previuos posts.

I know we need a centering bracket for the stock column.

I know the stock horn will not work unless we use Mid Fifty's horn tone ring kit, or we put in a remote horn button.

I know we will need a bracket to secure the stock column to the floor plate.

I know we will need a new pitman arm. I like the look of the one from CCP the best, and you cant beat the price compaired to mid fiftys.

The question is in reference to the comment hightlighted in mid fiftys catolog refering to the "Some Modifcations Needed if Using Clutch"

"Kit is intended for Automatic floor shift or flat single arm Auto shift, To use clutch replace U-Joint with Coupler, some modifications required if using clutch assembly."

Anybody to the Toyota conversion using the stock 4spd.

If so what had to be Modified?

They say in the catalog that you have to use a coupler instead of the U-Joint as the coupler give you more room for the clutch.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that they are referring to column mounted shifters

Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished up a Toyo conversion on my truck so I will share some of my experience. I fabbed up a bracket with the assistance of Axracer. Overall it went ok and I had the material/skill to fab it so it was fine. When I built my bracket I used the stock steering column so I made sure to keep the angle of the box and the steering column was the same.

With the 4spd floor shifter, you will not have the column shifter part located at the end of the stock steering column to deal with. Not having that extra piece will allow you either to use a steering U-joint (about $75) or a steering coupler (Borgeson #312500 11/16-36spline) (about $19 from Summit). If the angle is maintained I would use the coupler otherwise the u-joint will allow more angle adjustment. I had the column shift so I had to use the coupler because there is no room for a u-joint. The biggest modification was figuring how long to make the steering shaft and make everything work right. I also used a polyurethane suspension bushing I had left over as a centering device to hold the steering shaft centered inside the column tube. I never had to mess with clutch pedals. The stock floor plates worked fine also because the column angle stayed the same.

The pitman arm from CPP is the same as Mid-fifty. Mid-fifty buys their pitman arms from CPP. You save big bucks buying directly from CPP.

Good thing you have the hoses. I ran into some problems because my used box arrived without hoses. These boxes are oddballs and I ended up buying the hose kit ($75) from CPP after spending days trying to source it locally.

If you have further questions, just ask.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks gang,

you answered my question.

I was able to aquire the correct power steering pump and brackets for my Y-block this weekend from a 55 ford car. Along with a spare add on crank pulley.

I also picked up a spare power steering pump from 61 thunderbird.

I did notice that the line off the back of the tank was angled different from 55 to 61. I guess I can pick and choose which one will work better for me.

Here is a picture of the pump still installed on the donor.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Dynamic:

I am lifting an old thread...

Did the passenger car brackets fit straight away without any mods?

Do you have any after pictures?

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

The brackets are identical. However I have since changed my engine plans and no longer need any of the parts I found.