EFI 460 Build questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EFI 460 Build questions

I'm going to try to keep this short, though most of my posts end up long.

I'm looking for advice on a 460 build for the truck in my sig. I'm going to first acquire information and then over the next year or two buy components as money allows.

I've got an '03 Focus as a DD, but I'd still like to build the engine as a more powerful version of the stock personality so that the truck could still continue as a daily driver in the future if need be (well, as much of a daily driver as a 460 equipped vehicle will ever be). While I don't plan for it to be a road queen, I do cover a fair share of miles hauling around hand tools and small amounts of materials (basically unloaded), but I also pull a 28' 5th wheel (may upgrade in the future to slightly larger) and it's used on the farm. I've got a '93 Dana 60 axle that I plan to swap in in the future along with a Gear Vendor OD unit. When the GV goes in, I'm going to re-gear both the front and rear axles (and add limited slip/lockers) to maintain the same highway RPMs or slightly lower than my 3.55 give me now depending on what will give me the best highway mileage. I'll probably also step up to a 33-34" tire (385 75r16 or similar on 17" or 18" rims). Here are some things I'd like to set as goals:

Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
              nebechanezer
              Tuned
              Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
              Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
              DIYiT
              Posting Guru
              Originally Posted by nebechanezer
              Thanks for the link to the Rein"Car"nation. I've been around their site but never seen the price list.

Some other information I forgot to put in my first post:
              • I have a complete 460 from an '88 F-250 with the E7TE heads. I'll be able to build the block over time on the stand while still driving my truck as is.
              • I think I'm going to go with a set of Tri-Y headers such as the Doug Thorleys for best low and mid-range torque output
              • I live in Iowa so there are no smog checks, and I'm already running without a catalytic converter through a 3" single exhaust; I use a straight through Magnaflow & straight pipe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2w3DBEsN0

I know that the F3TE heads have a larger intake valve and a different sized (smaller???) chamber than the E7TE heads. If I plan to install larger valves and new pistons (for a bored block), can the E7TE heads on the '88 block be made equal to the the F3TE heads, or should I find a set of F3TE heads at a JY? Would it be better to use aftermarket heads and intake (carb version) and install the EFI components to that?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
              Finger__Rachet
              Senior User
              I'll toss in another bookmark related the the rein Car nation info. The Mad Porter, owner of rein car nation, posted on this thread in the 460engine.com forum. He lists what is needed to add horsepower to an EFI 460 in priority order.

EFI rebuild handholding... - 460 Ford Forum

I'm just starting a rebuild of an 88 F250 with a 460. I can't answer your F3TE vs E7TE head question.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
              DIYiT
              Posting Guru
              Originally Posted by Finger__Rachet
              I'll toss in another bookmark related the the rein Car nation info. The Mad Porter, owner of rein car nation, posted on this thread in the 460engine.com forum. He lists what is needed to add horsepower to an EFI 460 in priority order.

EFI rebuild handholding... - 460 Ford Forum

I'm just starting a rebuild of an 88 F250 with a 460. I can't answer your F3TE vs E7TE head question.

Thanks for the link; I hadn't seen that post by the Mad Porter yet (though I have read many of his others).

It looks like I'm going to want to go with the F3TE heads for the better intake runners and a much better quench area. If anybody has a spare set, I'm in the market now .

I'm going to quote the linked post and ask a few questions I have:
              Originally Posted by Mad Porter at 460ford.com

In order of importance:

Headers and free breathing exhaust
              I think the Doug Thorley Tri-Ys with a single 3" exhaust are going to be my exhaust choice on this build. I like the way the exhuast sounds now when straight piped and from what I've read, the tri-y design is going to yield the widest power band.

Low restriction air intake
              Is this everything before the intake manifold? I know that a lot of people recommend the BBK throttle body, and on stock vehicles, the 460/I6 intake is the swap of choice, but do I need to think about reworking the intake box when the power level starts increasing?

180 degree t stat.
              Shouldn't be a problem.

Computer compatable cam change. We use the 207/213 voodoo ground on a 113 lobe sep. This will pass Ca emissions. Factory double roller timing set is not retarded.
              Since I'm going to ditch the entire Ford ECU, is there a better cam choice I should be looking at?

Port factory intake which will increase flow significantly
              Are there instructions online for this for the DIYer? I'll probably end up purchasing the pass at the rein"Car"nation site for their porting instructions when the time comes; I just want to know if the information I need is there, and if it's fairly simple.

Budget ported cylinder heads with 2.11" intakes and std exhaust as well as better valve springs and topping the guides. The EFI castings have good exhaust ports and somewhat limited intakes especially the E7TE castings.
              Like I said above, it looks like I'm probably in the market for another set of F3TE heads. I want to be able to build the motor on the stand without having to take my truck out of running condition, so I'll have another set of F3TE heads I could sell off once the new motor is built.

Deck heads .030" to get static c/r up to 9 to 1 with the stock replacement efi pistons.
              In the comments at 460ford.com, it sounds like decking the block would also be an option to increase torque and detonation resistance. Would I be correct that these decisions need to wait until a set of heads are procured and a cam has been chosen?

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator to allow richer WOT operation.
              Definitely on the list of upgrades

piggy back chip for the ecm for additional power via more agressive timing tables and greater injector pulse width. (optional)
              I'm going to go with Megasquirt 3, sequential injection.

The above will net 100 RWHP.

The stock fuel pumps and injectors are limited to about 365 HP.
              I'm hoping to do the Bronco tank swap in the future and will probably be upgrading to a higher pressure/volume pump at that time to support a higher horsepower level.

If the changes net 100 RWHP, will this be enough (or too much.... like that's ever a problem though) to accomplish my goals in the first post? I don't have enough experience with different horsepower ranges to know what numbers I'm looking for; the higher horsepower vehicles I've been around have always been cars, which is a whole 'nother beast compared to what a truck needs.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM
              Finger__Rachet
              Senior User
              Thanks for the header info, looks like a good choice. I'll do likewise. Regarding the air intake I took it as a kn or something simple before the throttle body. The mad porter will port your intake manifold for $200, per his website.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 PM
              DIYiT
              Posting Guru
              Bringing this thread back from the dead. It's been a busy last few months. Finishing up my work at the construction site in NW MN, moving home, getting married, moving to the next construction site (and stocking a house how a wife lives rather than a "bachelor"), and a few weeks of short term traveling work in the area so I've neglected my truck entirely for the last few months.

A little bit of reality has settled in and I'm sure I can't afford to upgrade to any type of aftermarket aluminum heads and convert the system to EFI, so I'll be sticking with the F3TE heads for sure (I'm looking for another set if anybody has some). Since I'm sticking with the EFI heads, I will utilize the stock intake manifold. I have the F3TE heads and manifold on my truck currently, but I'd like to get another set of heads for machine work and engine building since it's going to be a long term project. What I don't know, is there any difference between the '95 intake manifold on the F3TE heads and the '88 intake on the E7TE equipped block I'm going to rebuild?