1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air Ride Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Air Ride Suspension

The air suspension is GEM controlled and uses inputs from the transfer case, VSS etc.
I really dont think there would be any way to add a switch to override all that.....not easily anyway.
I wonder if there is any aftermarket module available for doing that?

Old 05-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Jimmygunz3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Ride Suspension

I had the same problem with my expo sitting low in the rear, so I spoke to a friend of mine who works in ford and he told me to move the sensor in the rear. So I did it and the truck sits at a nice height now. The sensor is located above the rear axle, all you have to do is move the nut up, and the truck should raise up alittle.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:40 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Air Ride Suspension

Originally posted by Jimmygunz3
I had the same problem with my expo sitting low in the rear, so I spoke to a friend of mine who works in ford and he told me to move the sensor in the rear. So I did it and the truck sits at a nice height now. The sensor is located above the rear axle, all you have to do is move the nut up, and the truck should raise up alittle.
JACKPOT! - a guinea pig! Have you noticed any difference in the overall quality of the ride after you messed with the sensor? It makes sense that your truck would ride fine, but I'm curious about someone who will move the sensor in order to jack the truck up as far as it will go. I would think that they'd get a lumpy ride...

XXL

Old 05-21-2003, 12:05 PM
averygenosi
Freshman User
Air Ride Suspension

I couldn't tell a difference at all.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:11 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Question Air Ride Suspension

Originally posted by averygenosi
I couldn't tell a difference at all.
Cool. One more question: in your experience, does the sensor allow you to overadjust either way (make it overfill the bags or completely deflate them)? In other words, are there any positions for that sensor that are dangerous/unusable/etc.?

This could really help us all out.

XXL

Old 05-21-2003, 07:24 PM
averygenosi
Freshman User
Air Ride Suspension

Do not worry about over inflating the airbags because the adjustment range is not large enough to put the airbags in any kind of danger. If you move the sensor all the way down then the truck lowers all the way down until it hits the bump stops on the rear axle. The bump stops protect the airbags from getting crushed under the trucks weight. As it rests on the bump stops you have no suspension. So either way your are safe. Unless you are doing a lift like I did, the 1.5" of adjustment on the track bar really cannot cause any problems either way.

FYI. Fabtech makes a 3" rear lift that relies ENTIRELY on the air bags inflating an extra 3 inches. No blocks, not a new air bag, but the stock air bag inflating another 3". So beleive it or not there is absolutely no way to over inflate the bags by using the stock adjustment on the track bar when the truck is stock.

AND when I used the Fabtech 3" airbag set up by inflating the airbags another 3" I couldn't tell a difference in the ride then either.

In my experience I didn't notice any positions for that sensor that are dangerous/unusable/etc.

When I first got my truck a year ago I noticed my rear end was sagging a little compared to all the other Expys (coil sprung ones). That's when I went to the dealer and they told me what to do (track bar adjustment). Since then I've put three different variations of lifts on it and to be honest with you. I love the air bag set up so much for the ride quality and the adjustability.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:54 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Exclamation Air Ride Suspension

Gentlement - I think I figured out how to rig up the sensor so you can select the ride height from the cabin. If you could somehow rig a 2nd sensor up to the brackets of the 1st sensor, and then put in a switch that allows you to select which sensor the system gets its info from, you could theoretically have 2 selectable ride heights, one of which is dynamic. By installing the 2nd sensor so that it fools the computer into thinking that the truck is loaded down, it will allow you to select the super-high ride (for snow/rocks/offroading/etc.), but still drop the truck down for better handling, rollover safety, etc.

I already called Ford; they want $85 for a sensor. I can get it through NTB for about $50.

It's crazy enough it just might work!!!!!

Any thoughts?

XXL

Old 05-23-2003, 12:07 AM
averygenosi
Freshman User
Air Ride Suspension

Not a bad idea. Would require some deep thinking on how to rig it up from the track bar to the under carriage but its got potential. I wouldn't suggest using a switch while the truck is on (could short or trip out the computer) but it would be easy to have a manual switch do the negotiating between the sensors. I guess if you put the switch right next to the ON/OFF switch under the dash you could turn off the system, switch sensors, and turn it back on while it is running. Good thinking. Has potential.

Old 05-23-2003, 12:39 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Air Ride Suspension

Even as I'm working on this, it has occured to me that you could probably get a new program burned into the chip. I heard somewhere (it was probably on this thread; I'm too lazy to re-read) that when you're in 4Lo and under 20MPH, the suspension jacks itself up to give you maximum clearance. I suppose that's probably good enough - here in Maryland, I put the 4WD to negotiate what little snow we have (I have AWD as well, but I like to work the 4WD system now and then. Besides, better safe than sorry) which is usually a few inches. If it's bad enough that I'm in 4LO, then the included suspension lift will probably suffice. I don't know if I need this suspension manipulation bad enough to start experimenting with all this expensive equipment.

Maybe somebody will catch a whiff of this thread and offer a chip reprogram (hint: KEN...) that could be made available through the superchips programmer.....

XXL

Old 06-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Sturge
Senior User
Air Ride Suspension

First time on this board...lots of great info here - I've had my truck for 3 years and never knew about you guys! I have a '98 EB with about 100K miles (warranty just expired - figures). Just last week the air suspension went out on it. Checked fuses, on-off switch etc. but found nothing wrong. Strange thing is that the idiot light never lit up either. No sound of compressor at startup (and you KNOW you can hear that if it's working right!). At this point it is bottomed out on the rubber stops and rides like CRAP.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if maybe the mount for my sensor has loosened and it has just PHYSICALLY moved it's position - this would make it think that the compressor does not need to come on. It would also explain why the "check suspension" light does not come on. I'm checking this out tonight.

Based on this, any ideas?

Old 06-02-2003, 03:29 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Air Ride Suspension

Originally posted by Sturge
First time on this board...lots of great info here - I've had my truck for 3 years and never knew about you guys! I have a '98 EB with about 100K miles (warranty just expired - figures). Just last week the air suspension went out on it. Checked fuses, on-off switch etc. but found nothing wrong. Strange thing is that the idiot light never lit up either. No sound of compressor at startup (and you KNOW you can hear that if it's working right!). At this point it is bottomed out on the rubber stops and rides like CRAP.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if maybe the mount for my sensor has loosened and it has just PHYSICALLY moved it's position - this would make it think that the compressor does not need to come on. It would also explain why the "check suspension" light does not come on. I'm checking this out tonight.

Based on this, any ideas?
I had the same problem all of a sudden - air suspension just took a vacation for a few days! I pulled fuses, worked the switch, and disconnected the battery for a half hour. I think the battery might've reset the computer, because the LLS kicked back on. Give it a shot anyway!

XXL

Old 06-03-2003, 06:02 AM
Sturge
Senior User
Air Ride Suspension

Well...checked the rear sensor and it seemed ok. Unhooked the bottom end and ran it up and down and I could hear solenoids at each "air bag" clicking which indicates to me it's working. Even tried the negative bat cable to "reset" but no luck. Drove it to work (30 miles) this morning and will drop off at dealer to see what they can find. Had a real hard time even drinking my coffee I bounced around so much!

Old 06-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Air Ride Suspension

Originally posted by BigMattXXL
JACKPOT! - a guinea pig! Have you noticed any difference in the overall quality of the ride after you messed with the sensor? It makes sense that your truck would ride fine, but I'm curious about someone who will move the sensor in order to jack the truck up as far as it will go. I would think that they'd get a lumpy ride...

XXL
Matt, Just in case you need yet another quinea pig's opinion, I did this very adjustment myself (prior to my knowing of FTE's existance even!) just crawled under, looked around and figured the worst I could do was adjust it to far and then have to get back under to fine tune it.

This is really very simple and the only effect it had on the ride was in the ride height. I could not detect ANY change in the ride qaulity at all.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Sturge
Senior User
Air Ride Suspension

Got the word from the dealer...relay is shot and compressor is seized. Estimate is $770(us), they need to order the parts. Never saw a relay in the owners manual or Haynes manual...all I saw were some fuses & they checked out good. Hopefully they are not BS'n me - I asked them to save the old parts just to satisfy my "questioning attitude". I'll let you know how things end up - thanks for the replies.

Old 06-03-2003, 02:03 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Air Ride Suspension

Originally posted by Sturge
Got the word from the dealer...relay is shot and compressor is seized. Estimate is $770(us), they need to order the parts. Never saw a relay in the owners manual or Haynes manual...all I saw were some fuses & they checked out good. Hopefully they are not BS'n me - I asked them to save the old parts just to satisfy my "questioning attitude". I'll let you know how things end up - thanks for the replies.
Bummer...

Could I ask you to us all a favor while you're at the dealer? Ask them about lubricating the compressor. Is there some way to add oil/lubricant to keep the system from siezing up?

Sorry to hear about that.

Keep us posted-

XXL

Quick Reply: Air Ride Suspension