Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 PM
RobertJohn
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure

I'm running LT265/7516/E1 Yokohama Geolander tires on my veh..
I'm currently running 60psi all around.
Does the front tire pressure need to be more than the rear because of the weight of the 7.3 diesel ?
When I bought these tires Discount Tire put 70 psi in the front and 60 psi in the rear.
Like I said I'm running 60 psi all around but wondering if I should put 70 psi in the front ..
Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I run 55 on all four corners and get pretty even tread wear. It will depend upon your driving habits and whether or not you tow/haul. Just watch your tread wear pattern at the 60 and see if that takes care of your needs.

TIP... To keep from having to just "watch for uneven wear" over a thousand or so miles, here's the way I keep my eye on the situation. Whenever you go to fill up your vehicle, look at the dusty dirt pattern on your tires while you're filling up. By having to drive slowly into the station and up to the pump, your ties will pick up dirt/dust wherever they are making contact with the pavement. If the dirt/dust is not all the way to the edge of your tread, you have too much air pressure, and if it wraps around the corner treads, you have too little air pressure.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I have a dually so I put less air in the back. Can't remember right off hand but I've always used higher pressure in the front. I don't carry a lot of weight most of the time so don't need high pressure in the rear.

Chet

Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 PM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F250 has it right. It will be different for every truck/tire/load combo. I use his method at every fuel stop. It may also high light uneven wear.

To come up with the pressures you fill up to max psi, get some chalk and find a parking lot you can drive a few hundred feet in straight line. Mark a line across the tread and drive forward 50 foot or so and check your lines. You want them to wear off evenly across the tread. If you cant tell adjust the distance you drive. Since you are at max pressure it should wear off in the middle first. Lower your pressures until the line comes off evenly. Go with the lowest pressure on each axle for that axle, unless you want deal with 4 different pressures.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Interesting. I have always ran my pressures from the recommendations on the door, 65 front, 80 rear. The only time I had uneven wear was when my alignment was off. I do tow quite often (why else would I need a truck this big) so I feel more comfortable with 80 psi in the rear. It does make rotating the tires a bit more work when I have to adjust the pressures every time. I keep my spare at 80 and I can drop it if I put it on the front.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GonzoCSU
I do tow quite often (why else would I need a truck this big)....
Well.... there's always people like me. I wanted a bigger boat, so I bought the bigger tow vehicle first. I then proceeded to use all of my boat-purchasing money on modding/repairing/upgrading the truck. My hitch was hit this weekend and now I can't even tow the boat I own during boating season. Big L on my forehead.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by F250_
I run 55 on all four corners and get pretty even tread wear. It will depend upon your driving habits and whether or not you tow/haul. Just watch your tread wear pattern at the 60 and see if that takes care of your needs.

TIP... To keep from having to just "watch for uneven wear" over a thousand or so miles, here's the way I keep my eye on the situation. Whenever you go to fill up your vehicle, look at the dusty dirt pattern on your tires while you're filling up. By having to drive slowly into the station and up to the pump, your ties will pick up dirt/dust wherever they are making contact with the pavement. If the dirt/dust is not all the way to the edge of your tread, you have too much air pressure, and if it wraps around the corner treads, you have too little air pressure.
I agree, If I put more than 55 in the front and 60 in the rear my tires wear out in the center. I keep them around 55 but if I tow heavy i'll bump up a bit.