1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering float

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 PM
mlis
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering float

I have a 1950 F1 and when I get over 40 mph the steering really seems to get loose and floats as you drive down the road. You have to keep making adjustments to the wheel just to keep it straight. At slow speeds it is fine but not as you go faster. I tried to tighten the adjusting screw on the steering box but it only moved about 1/4 turn and then it would not move any more. this helped a little but I want to fix this so it is safer to drive. Any suggestions what I can do to remedy this problem.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Do a search on setting the adjustment on the steering gear. Don't turn the adjustment too much or you can damage the gear. Your box maybe worn out. Have you checked the internals any?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
IMO, check your kingpins for "play", too.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a toe problem to me. Not enough and the steering will be vague.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Make sure everything is tight first then have it aligned by someone who know how to align a beam axle. Have you changed or softened the springs, lowered the truck?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by mlis
I tried to tighten the adjusting screw on the steering box but it only moved about 1/4 turn and then it would not move any more. this helped a little but I want to fix this so it is safer to drive. Any suggestions what I can do to remedy this problem.
Every thing others said and: If you tighten this mentioned adjustment too tight, the box will bind, you've exacerbated the problem. Steering will not return to center on its own. Got grease? And bias tires drive differently than radials.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You have been given alot of sound advice, so I wont repeat it but I will let you know that in my truck, it turned out to be a little of all the things mentioned plus a broken spring and worn spring studs. So do not get frustrated if you try one thing and it dosent fully resolve your problem, your truck may require more. Its some thing you can do a piece at a time (if you plan on keeping the stock suspension like I did) starting with checking toe in as that requires no money if you do it yourself. If you do not like to do your own work and are thinking of taking it to a shop, I would sudjust taking it to a large truck repair shop because they are well versed in straight axels. Personaly I am a novice and found all the repairs and adjustments were not hard with the help of FTE members and a good book ( I did have a friend do the king pins ). Last Ill just say that once done my truck drives and steers pretty good with exceptible play. Good luck to you, were all here to help.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
mlis
Freshman User
I have new king pins in the front suspension and had the springs re-bowed to original specs. I have put on new shocks as well. I rebuilt the steering link with new springs and cups. I filled them with grease and installed per the manual. I still have some float when I drive over 35 MPH. I tried to adjust the steering box but it did not do much as it only turned about 1/4 of a turn before it stopped. I am thinking it is the box because when I am sitting in the driveway I can turn the wheel about 10 degrees to each side and it does not move the wheel. Does anyone make a kit to rebuild the steering box?

Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Mid Fifty sells both the rebuilt steering boxes and the internal parts to rebuild your self. I built a few and they're not complicated to rebuild just be sure to make sure the preload on the bearings along with the worm and sector gear lash is adjusted properly.
Mid Fifty F-100 Parts - Steering Box Bushing And Bearing Kit

Old 07-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another place to check for play is the tie rod ends.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Smitty the kit you linked to is for the '53-56, I think that's a different set up and won't fit the earlier boxes. Classic Haulers, their sister company aimed at '48-52 trucks has a slightly different part number, 2741-4852SE for $260. In the other post Ilya mentioned you can have the box rebuilt for around $300. By who, I don't know.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Smitty the kit you linked to is for the '53-56, I think that's a different set up and won't fit the earlier boxes. Classic Haulers, their sister company aimed at '48-52 trucks has a slightly different part number, 2741-4852SE for $260. In the other post Ilya mentioned you can have the box rebuilt for around $300. By who, I don't know.
Your correct, My Bad. Got the 53-56 models on my mind.
You can also get the rebuild kits from the The Early Ford Store-
FORD STEERING BOX REBUILD KITS & PARTS - EARLY FORD STORE OF CA

Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Just more food for thought, but the shackle bushings and brackets can wallow out over time as well. may not cause a steering issue too much, but it's one more thing to look at when all else fails.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
First jack up the front end in the center of the axle. Next lock the pitman arm by putting a large c clamp on the frame on each side of it. Now try turning the steering wheel. If it has more than 1" to 1 1/2" of free play, the box needs adjusting or rebuilding. After 60 year of likely neglect (the box was supposed to have the grease changed and adjusted regularly but they seldom were.) most are worn out. if the box is tight, grab a wheel and try forcing it side to side. If you can move it at all, have someone watch and see what is moving. Are you absolutely sure you put the parts back in the drag link correctly and adjusted it right? The parts order is different in each end. Are you running radials or bias ply tires?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 PM
mlis
Freshman User
I wil have to check out the tie rod links later this week. I did double check the assemble of the drag link and they are installed correctly( different at each end). I am running brand new 215 70 15 radials. I put new shackles pins and bushings in the front springs. I did not change the upper pins on the shakles. I just got the truck road ready and it has not been driven for many years. I am learning all new fun stuff on these old beauties. It has a Merc Flathead V8 and is 6 volt positive ground so all this is new territory for me. It has the 4 speed crash box and is a blast to drive. Just having fun driving it around town but I would like to sort out the steering so it is safer to drive at 40 mph.

Quick Reply: Steering float