Sponsored by: Moser

common sense is not so common.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:35 PM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
common sense is not so common.

So i just saw a nissan commercial and had to comment on it. Apparently the new nissan's will beep the horn when you air up the tires so you know when to stop so you don't over inflate them. What happened to common sense, and basic knowledge? If you are driving a vehicle you should have the basic knowledge to know what to fill the tires to, how to change a tire, what type of gas to put in it, and how to change the oil. These aren't hard tasks to be able to accomplish, and should be known by all drivers. Is today's society that dumb that they need the vehicle to tell them how to do everything? I mean, there is a reason they give you an owners manual, isn't there?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
if people had common sense we wouldn't have things like traction control, roll stability control, trailer sway control, beepers to tell us that our seatbelts aren't on or our tires are low. Unfortunantely people are getting dumber every year and the rest of us have to suffer with this stupid stuff to accomodate them.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
if people had common sense we wouldn't have things like traction control, roll stability control, trailer sway control, beepers to tell us that our seatbelts aren't on or our tires are low. Unfortunantely people are getting dumber every year and the rest of us have to suffer with this stupid stuff to accomodate them.
I agree 100%.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You make an assumption there is a norm for people, where certain knowledge or abilities should be universal. Bad assumption. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well....

Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
awq134
Elder User
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy
You make an assumption there is a norm for people, where certain knowledge or abilities should be universal. Bad assumption. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well....
I couldn't agree more... While in boot camp my instructor told us that there is no such thing as common sense... what may be common to you may be uncommon to others... I am beginning to believe this more and more as my life progresses! It makes me feel smart!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Well, we are all paying for tire pressure warning systems because the idiots at FORD didn't have the common sense to pull the plug on the tippy, darty Exploder, but instead to spec'd a too-low tire pressure to make it wallow instead of tip. So since we are paying for this, why not hook it up to the horn so you can know when you hit your target pressure? Brilliant idea IMO. Necessary? No. Convenient? Yes.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
I think grumpy bear needs a nap.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Personally I think this will be benefical, most ladies (an a lot of guys) don't have an idea of how to properly inflate a tire, even more measure the tire pressure. This will improve the safety on the roads, the economy and mileage of the cars, who knows? it could even improve fuel prices in your country (Every cent counts, right?).

Old 06-23-2012, 12:58 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Not to be grumpy, but when you talk "common sense", we could go back and forth all night. I do not disagree with the OP. But, when you take the next step, and another perspective, some additional or different things become "common sense". If a manufacturer has roll stability control technology available, it could be said that it is "common sense" to put it in vehicles, as we all know vehicles, even with good drivers, sometimes get out of shape, out of control and crash. More often when there is driver error. And "common sense" tells us there is a lot of driver error.

There is no end to this, it will only go in a circle.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 AM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me, I've been traveling before and needed to visit a air station, go to check the tire pressure and find no gauge in the vehicle....the gauge on the air station wasn't working so I had to go with a best guess of how much sag the tire should have....a beeping horn would have been great.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 AM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ding fries are done ding fries are done.....

That's what keeps going through my head as I think about this. I get what you're saying about convenience, but for better or worse I can't help but think that the unintended consequence of technology will be a generation populated with a lot of fry guys. Just look what's happened to our national capability to compete in math since the advent of the calculator.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 AM
jkclark
5th Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what happens when our society is driven to higher education. College is good for certain fields but most just need common sense. They are taking wood shop, metal shop etc out of schools and everything is reading writing and math. My dad made me help around the house as a kid and it paid off. Those skills we have where passed down, and there not being pass as much anymore. We are getting weaker every generation, I know I will never be as tough as my dad or grandpa. At 41 I feel our young are getting worse. Heck truck market may change a lot more young boys want cars not trucks. I'm done.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 AM
awq134
Elder User
Originally Posted by jkclark
This is what happens when our society is driven to higher education. College is good for certain fields but most just need common sense. They are taking wood shop, metal shop etc out of schools and everything is reading writing and math. My dad made me help around the house as a kid and it paid off. Those skills we have where passed down, and there not being pass as much anymore. We are getting weaker every generation, I know I will never be as tough as my dad or grandpa. At 41 I feel our young are getting worse. Heck truck market may change a lot more young boys want cars not trucks. I'm done.
couldn't agree more.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:00 AM
awq134
Elder User
To everyone, I'm sorry.

Had a few beers in me last night when i posted this thread. I should have known this thread would have went in circles. I'm sure if i would have saw the same commercial yesterday with my morning cup of coffee i probably wouldn't have given it another thought.

Having said that, i'm going to leave this topic alone for now!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
How exactly does it work? Beeping when it gets to say 40 psi by the time you stop there is no telling if it is 43 or what. Which to me you would still have to know how much pressure to put in your tire anyway. Te me it is another useless gadget (and I am all for gadgets for sure).

Quick Reply: common sense is not so common.