Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has a dually with 3.55 gearing? did ford offer this or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
who has a dually with 3.55 gearing? did ford offer this or not?

im starting to think ford only offered the 3.55 and 4.10 ratio in the SRW sterling axle,and 4:10 option only for the DRW.
im checking on car-part.com anywhere in the US and whenever i e-mail or call to have them confirm a DRW axle ratio listed as 3:55 it's always been a mistake and it really has 4:10's.
so the question is.......does anyone own a DRW truck built 1997 or older,with 3.55 gearing,or has anyone actually seen one?
im thinking they're a unicorn and i may need to buy a DRW 4.10 axle and pay to have my 3.55 gears from my srw axle (if possible?) put in.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have one or ever seen one. But to me it doesn't really make sense for Ford to put and 3.55 gear in a truck axle like the DRW, because it is ment to be pulling a trailer most of the time or heavy loads.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Yes. Ford made them. Try and look for an older dually axle(down to 86) remember the late 80-early 90s did all have OD so alot of them had higher gears.

What made you want to ditch your SRW axle and get a dually axle?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
And YES, you can have your 3:55s from your SRW axle put in a DRW axle

Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
interesting.thanks Brad.i guess i'll keep trying then.
well about the older axles 2 things;
1.i need the tone ring for VSS due to having the E40D trans,and i "think" 87+ had those and will work.
2.i was hoping to stay into the 2nd gen sterling,which is 93+ .though,i guess it's not such a big deal,cus really,how often do we hear about problems/failures with any year sterling 10.25? i shouldn't be "too" picky,and probably wouldn't if i could score any DRW/3.55/ring toned sterling 10.25 axle.

id like to ditch these rear adapters for a true dually axle just because id feel more comfortable hauling the weight i do with one rather than like this. iv got a dang aggravating rear hop because when you put the spacers on a SRW axle,the center hub section there,or whatever it's called is tapered downward.as this tapers down,this means your rim center hole doesn't sit and stay in position and it was causing a large hop.a tire shop helped me find the issue,so i installed a thin metal strip (gas tank strap exactly) cut to fit to fill in this center hole section.it keeps the wheels alined mostly,but of course its not perfect and it's just starting to oval out the lug nut holes in the rims....very slightly.it doesn't help with fuel economy either.
then of course id like to have the increased brake thickness as well.another 1/2 i think it was on both sides iirc.

the guy at the tire shop who found the issue for me,had a buddy with the problem,and he said he had used dodge rims to fix this,because they have a smaller center hole.....he set on one for me,and sure enough....perfect.but i don't want that mess of 4 dodge rims out back,that can't fit on front for easy,full tire rotations (which is very important with the d50 as you know)

just a whole lot better deal all the way around by bolting up the correct axle.like to have it done right ya know? just be done with it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
lets say i can only score a 4.10 drw axle to fit this truck with the ring tone,preferably the 2nd gen sterling.
is this something i can install myself without special tools?
FORD 10.25", 10.5" STERLING POSI TRACTION LIMITED SLIP POSI TRAC-LOCK F250,F350 | eBay

or would i need to have it setup properly by a shop just the same as i would my R&P?

in the end,ideally:
93-97 DRW pickup axle with 3.55's limited slip with a budget of hopefully 1k or less (but im kinda doubting this one) ........sounds so simple doesn't it? lol.

the traction sure isn't what i was hoping for with the DRW,so limited slip all at the same time would be icing on the cake.

Originally Posted by SCRebel
I don't have one or ever seen one. But to me it doesn't really make sense for Ford to put and 3.55 gear in a truck axle like the DRW, because it is ment to be pulling a trailer most of the time or heavy loads.
the problem with that is,my effective gear ratio due to undersize tires (to help keep the truck low for fuel economy and ease of loading my bed) would set me down around 4.45 ratio.....not so bad i suppose since i have the E40D and mainly only cruise around 45mph......but,then id have to swap out my front axle to match.....ugg.don't really want to go so low.
you sure are right though,ford didn't give many options 97+ back.
3.55 gearing w/ stock 215's is roughly the perfect compromise of around fords current 3.73 ratio,so its shame it's not more common.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
taking the day off to hit the salvage yards hard via phone across the entire US in search for this unicorn.wish me luck fellers lol.

really looking forward to completing this truck.im so close.
this unicorn: DRW pickup axle 93-97 w/3.55 & LS.my red head steering box (that i might put in today too if i have time)
and intercooler for my turbo,will draw a close to any larger mods and make everything real nice for years to come hopefully.

nice hydraulic lift gate and hydraulic winch wouldn't hurt my feelings sometime down the road either though i suppose.always something to make 'em a more handy tool hey guys.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
ok so seems it's worthwhile to take the day off so far.
a couple have verified axle ratios they claim.
now they're checking to see if they have the true unicorn,that with it also being LS!
fingers crossed.
quite a few more checking on both ratio and open or ls too.
i sure hope ford built it,and someone knew better to special order it.i really,do not want to have to pay to have ls put in an axle latter on top of buying the axle having it shipped.that's a sting as is.
im focusing on the 2nd gen sterlings only right now.93-97.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
wow this is no easy task i tell ya what.i think a sterling 10.25 DRW with 3.55 AND LS option is a unicorn.
however i found one 1st gen and one 2nd gen with 3.55's at least....thank the maker.
going to spend another hour or two on the phone then im giving up and going with the 2nd gen 3.55 open diff.
axle code is 69
i'll just have to bend over and pay to have a LS added latter down the road i guess.not what i was hoping for.least it's a correct axle though with proper gearing for time being,just no more added traction help dangit.

yeah,you know what.look here,and you can see based on the capaicity to tell a SRW and DRW axle apart.you don't see the higher rated ones w/ 3.55 and LS.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...de_Chart_.html

so looks like im ordering up the 69 axle code i found and calling it good.save myself the time and trouble looking for something that probably doesn't exist.

so that's interesting.the first gen sterling 10.25 DRW axle w/ 3.55's i found (pre '93) was axle code 49.

so that goes to show ya just how beefed up the 2nd gen updates over the 1st gen are with the nice increase in capacity of the '93+ axle.hmmm.i didn't know this so much,as i knew there was some nice upgrades though....but have forgotten what they were now lol.
anyway,2nd gen DRW 3.55 NL pickup axle with code 69 headed my way for planned budget.
that was like working all day still or something.........id of rather gone fishing.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Sound like you have some incorrect spacers. Who makes them?

As for the difference between a 92 and older and 93+ axle, the only real difference is the length of the pinion and yolk.

For setting up a the Limited slip you posted, it needs to be setup just like a new set of gears would be

Old 06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
im not sure who made 'em.they were on a srw axle that was listed as a drw axle,but i didn't know not to take the axle then.i realized my rookie mistake once i got the axle home.that's why this time i had the yards giving me all the info i could shake out of 'em.
ah well,i'll have to pay someone to setup a limited slip unit in there for me latter on.maybe before winter or something would be good.i'll be happy to get the correct axle.
not sure how anyone would make the spacers any different.it's just the result of putting a spacer in there and having the axles hubs tapered downward.there's nothing for the center hole in the wheel to ride on.
with the true DRW axle,you don't have the issue because the rims set all the way in of course,before the center hub tapers down.
drw adapters suck.too much vibration and hurts economy.it's mostly at 25mph i feel it,but again slightly around 45-50.it's not cool.
plus it's a pita to change tires because of the rigged up spacer metal i slid between the center hole of the rims,and the hubs.it makes for a real mess.nothing beats having the right axle.this will be some nice.the way i wanted it in the first place,but didn't know any better.

when the time comes,what do you think of these Brad (or anyone)
http://completeoffroad.com/i-7602936...t-915a550.html

same basic idea of the stock ls "trac lok" but just without clutch discs to wear out? works nice and street friendly just the same though? looks like the same basic pricing too.
i don't want to be clunking and hoping when loaded up heavy turning corners down the road or anything.

edit,they sure sound good from these guys here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...f-upgrade.html

and an e-locker would be ideal!!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Sounds like you do NOT have a hub centric spacer like what is needed. They have a lip on the center of the spacer to center the wheel, just like ford designed the axle to do

Arrowcraft makes this sytle spacer to make a SRW axle in to a DRW axle and they also offer similar spacer to push the rims out further for different offset wheels

Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
now thats interesting Brad.I'v looked at those magnum rear adapter pics several times and iv never noticed that center lip.that's exactly the issue right there.mine lacks that.
i went with arrowcraft in the front,and those have been issue free/100% perfect.
should have just went with those rear back along too.but i thought i was going to pickup a drw axle for even less.now knowing the price,and of course knowing what to look for,i would have left that axle there lol.i didn't research and just trusted a salvage yard to sell me the right part...haven't done that again lol.
i'll be happy to have the true axle though now,but for sure arrowcrafts rear would be the way to go for adapters out back too.
i could never figure out why my e-brake works for crap on this axle either,plus i'll be getting the wider brakes.i dunno,hauling heavy it's always bugged me not just having a true drw axle.im going to feel better about it now anyway.the idea just always stressed my mind a bit.im sure being a full floater it's fine,but man.i'll be at peace now with axle 69,ya know.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Its a shame you didnt get the 4:10 axle you would of loved the added power it would of given you

Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah,but then id have more expense paying a shop to swap out the front R&P.....that or buying another D50.but i just went through this one with all new balljoints and tie rods.
ahh.just don't want to get into that.plus i just don't need more power really.i take off and drive so easy im sure you'd be laughing and calling me an old man hahaha.these fuel prices kill things.im running 3.84 effective ratio now anyway,with a turbo.she goes far easier than i even push her really.
had i not done this before the turbo however.........hmmm.i might have been tempted to swap over to 4.10's.not now though.

Quick Reply: who has a dually with 3.55 gearing? did ford offer this or not?