6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Is there many high mileage low issue 6.4s out there?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there many high mileage low issue 6.4s out there?

Hi I'm looking at buying a 2008 F350 KR. I really like the 6.4s just scared of the big problems I've heard about. I'm a 6.0 owner and my '05 has 317,000 on it and it's time to swap her out. I don't have a problem with deleting the DPF and EGR at all. I'm just curious about other major problems Ive heard fuel system, radiator how common are these problems?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Do a search on this topic. This was discussed a out a week ago. Plus mileage is an important piece of info. Radiator issue is common but they've had a fix that seems to work for most. Maintenance records are important but read up on other posts. Alot of info already discussed.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Fuel system issues are water is a killer. Any High pressure fuel system out there post 2008 is going to sensitive to water.

Radiators are or were an issue but not too much anymore. I still have my orginal.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:41 AM
strokin83
Senior User
Hmmm. I think the Fuel system one scares me. That's what keeping me from considering a 6.7. I might just try to find a low mileage 6.0 and bulletproof it like I did my current one.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
It doesn't matter if you buy a Duramax, Cummins, or Powerstroke, any one of the CR fuel systems will cost a substantial amount to replace the fuel system.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Plus the amount of money that you have to put into a 6.0 liter isnt worth the differences that the 6.7 has on it. Way too many really nice options not to mention fuel consumption is unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, I liked my 6.0 liter but when stuff starts to go it is a time bomb of replacing parts.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
4X4 IN REFUGIO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking that Strokin83 may be looking for a different answer than he is getting. Instead of a rundown of problems that have occurred with the 6.4 (can be found by searching the forum).... I think he is looking for folks to chime in that have had very little or no problems and have already run up a lot of miles.
There are hundreds of post with problems..... But how bout no problems?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
He has asked several questions within this thread. The first is about the 6.4, I have 80,000 miles on mine and it has run pretty well. I do maintenance on time and oil changes every 3500. Very important on this model to do this. Comparing a 6.7 to a 6.0 liter is the second comment. I would choose the 6.7 over the 6.0 liter every day. I believe he had a rare 6.0 liter that was one that could be bulletproofed. We have had several of them and they were all bad. Once parts start to go it is a flood from your wallet to the shop. As for the 6.7, I have been really impressed with it so far. I do not believe that removing anything is necessary on this truck. It was built a lot better than the 6.4 and the 6.0 liter. At the end of the day, the 6.4 was a pretty good build too. I just think Ford improved upon it on the 6.7. I would not go back to 6.0 liter if it was up to me.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
strokin83
Senior User
Honestly I'm aware any make model has it's own demons. With me I could care less about luxuries of a newer vehicle. This is my work truck. I put a lot of miles on it and most are very hard miles. My biggest concern is reliability and affordability when repairs happen. My biggest scare on the 6.7 is the fuel system failures and Ford's lack of responsibility when they fail. In the 317,000 miles I've put on this 6.0 I've had all the 6.0 problems. Head gaskets, Egr delete, oil cooler, Stc fitting, cracked injector cups. 2 injectors, all for a grand total of about $12,000 or so when you consider what I pull the terrain I work in I'm not too unhappy with that. I've been tuning it since 100k and It runs from sun up to sun down when I'm working hence the 9346 engine hours on the clock. And honestly the drive train on my truck is solid. But the body and other little things are nickel and dimein me to death. But one thing I can't have with a 6.7 is a $20,000 bomb go off and Ford tell me to pound salt. I'm a small businessman and I do pretty well. But there isn't a lot of the year I have a surplus of $20k or more. And if it's a continuing problem in the same amount of time I've had this truck well I'm out of business. I really wonder how ford justifies a repair a third the price of their most loaded Superduty just on the fuel system...but when your passing the buck I guess it's no huge concern. I'm a Ford man but this is sickening. I refuse to own a dodge after wearing out 2 of them inside of 160,000 miles. I like the Duramax but they are smaller and I'm not a fan of IFS. So I guess I'll keep pondering. I guess I need to keep pondering and pick my poison. Thanks for all your input guys. If anyone has some good stories about the longevity of the 6.4 I would like to read up.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by 4X4 IN REFUGIO
I'm thinking that Strokin83 may be looking for a different answer than he is getting. Instead of a rundown of problems that have occurred with the 6.4 (can be found by searching the forum).... I think he is looking for folks to chime in that have had very little or no problems and have already run up a lot of miles.
There are hundreds of post with problems..... But how bout no problems?
If that is the case, I'd buy mine again.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokin83
Honestly I'm aware any make model has it's own demons. With me I could care less about luxuries of a newer vehicle. This is my work truck. I put a lot of miles on it and most are very hard miles. My biggest concern is reliability and affordability when repairs happen. My biggest scare on the 6.7 is the fuel system failures and Ford's lack of responsibility when they fail. In the 317,000 miles I've put on this 6.0 I've had all the 6.0 problems. Head gaskets, Egr delete, oil cooler, Stc fitting, cracked injector cups. 2 injectors, all for a grand total of about $12,000 or so when you consider what I pull the terrain I work in I'm not too unhappy with that. I've been tuning it since 100k and It runs from sun up to sun down when I'm working hence the 9346 engine hours on the clock. And honestly the drive train on my truck is solid. But the body and other little things are nickel and dimein me to death. But one thing I can't have with a 6.7 is a $20,000 bomb go off and Ford tell me to pound salt. I'm a small businessman and I do pretty well. But there isn't a lot of the year I have a surplus of $20k or more. And if it's a continuing problem in the same amount of time I've had this truck well I'm out of business. I really wonder how ford justifies a repair a third the price of their most loaded Superduty just on the fuel system...but when your passing the buck I guess it's no huge concern. I'm a Ford man but this is sickening. I refuse to own a dodge after wearing out 2 of them inside of 160,000 miles. I like the Duramax but they are smaller and I'm not a fan of IFS. So I guess I'll keep pondering. I guess I need to keep pondering and pick my poison. Thanks for all your input guys. If anyone has some good stories about the longevity of the 6.4 I would like to read up.
I think you have a good one now but that will not continue. We went through three 6.0 liters and we tow heavy up and down the mountains in WA. We put all of the aftermarket bolts, gaskets, turbos, injectors, etc. etc. and they just kept crapping out. We used them for work and not daily drivers. I have had a radiator issue on my 08 6.4 which was fixed early on ( I bought my truck in June of 07) and I have had a sensor on the exhaust go out twice (I now have deleted the whole thing) Other than these issues, the truck has run well. On my personal 6.0 liter, I had headgaskets, turbo, injectors, egr twice, all within 36,000 miles. I would have to say my vote goes to the newer vehicles. The 6.7 has a locking rear diff, 6 speed tranny finally with shift capabilities, a strong tranny and a motor that gets almost 20 unloaded and 17 loaded. I am a believer in the 6.7 but we won't know for sure on it for a few years even though our 2011 is doing well.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, the fuel system problems on the 6.7 are not what people are making them out to be at this point. I would buy a 6.7 in a heartbeat. Better filtration can ease your mind with the CR fuel systems. I put an Air Dog on my 6.4 just for peace of mind with Donaldson filters. I have 6 buddies with 6.4s all ranging from 160k miles down to 50k miles. They are all satisfied with them. All of them run Air Dogs and have had no fuel system issues. Just typical radiator issues. If I were goin to drive a truck for work, the 6.7 would get the nod. Better fuel mileage and like mentioned above, they are way more reliable with all the emissions stuff still on them.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Jolly Mon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Strokin,
I'm selling my 2008 if you are interested. Never any real problems. I just had the radiator and EGR replaced on the recommendation of my friend; a FORD service manager. I mentioned to him that I was planning on selling it, so he suggested we do those items. I would keep this truck but the new house I just bought doesn't have enough room in the garage for a long bed crew cab. It has roughly 40k miles on it. FX4/4x4/White/tonneau cover/spray-on liner, etc... send me a msg if interested. I just put brand new Good Year tires on as well. ($1900) Also has a FORD extended warranty that is transferable. It's a California truck and has always been garaged. Thx!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
I personally know of a few 6.4's that are climbing in mileage and no major breakdowns. 80,000 miles, 84,000 & 101,000. Typical radiator leaks and one AC leak. I'm only at 41,000. Had upper rad hose replaced.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ours (job 1) will be hitting 5 years and 100K this month, Oasis was clean when bought around 72K miles, after that had a turbo and some coolant leaks (some warranted some not no radiator trouble), belt tensioner and fan go bad. Hellova lot better than the 6.0L we had. I'd definitely take a 6.7L over the 6.4L if it wouldn't cost anything.

Quick Reply: Is there many high mileage low issue 6.4s out there?