1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

alternator, double tensioner, ex. manifold, starter, etc. all done thread. Few pics added

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
There isn't a donut between the exhaust manifold and up pipes. The only donuts are up by the turbo.

If you have soot back there its probaby your exhaust manifold leaking. Mine leaked on the last few bolts before it goes into the up pipes.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Oh, nice, I thought there was. Thanks Glenn. Gonna go see what it looks like in a few. Figured I'd stop home and check in here.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I didn't know that Nate. I didn't get near the good help the last time I ordered something there as I used to.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SHOpar mentioned it in this thread. Not sure what is going on or if Ed is still in the business and just changed to a different dealership, or what.

Here is the post:
Originally Posted by SHOpar
Yeah, I think you're right. I messed with the new pulley some more last night, still couldn't stop it from rubbing and heating up horribly, so I gave up and reinstalled the old one.

I took the new pulley inside, got online, and tried to figure out what I got. The new pulley has no parts markings on it whatsoever and it's obviously the wrong part and not even a Motorcraft piece! The box it came in is right, but it looked like it was previously opened, so someone must have pulled a fast one and returned the junk I got to the dealer.

Just so I can be done with this nightmare, I am picking up the correct pulley tonight from the local dealer and paying full MSRP. This would have been an easy job if I had gotten the right parts the first time around!

I am so mad about my order through Horizon Ford (the place where Parts Guy Ed used to work), as this is the third time they have screwed up on this one order! First time I got sent someone else's parts; that delayed me a week. Once they finally arrived, the turn signal switch was the wrong one. Called them back, ordered the right switch and added the upper idler pulley. Those show up last night; the switch works, but the pulley is wrong!!!!

Needless to say, I'll be giving Horizon Ford a piece of my mind and demand a full refund for the defective pulley and all my shipping costs. I also will never buy from them again, as they obviously can't get it together now that Ed has left!
And here is a link to the thread. Sounds like they've let things go down hill since Ed left.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-pulley.html The post above is from page 2 if anyone cares.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well, I called Clay and left a message for him to return my call. I got the manifold off, that was a LOT easier than I though it would be. Dad's going to Mitchell where our machinist is and he can drop it off today. Just need to get parts now. Alternator and starter will be here Thursday finally, get these parts ordered and I'll have it done this weekend then.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad to hear it came off alright. I take it you're having the manifold machined? Are you going to run a gasket then or no? We had this debate with Glenn a few months back...

Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Yep, getting it machined. Yep, running a gasket. I feel more comfortable since I can't machine the head at this time.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glenn, you used the gasket didn't you?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Dad snuck away on me before I got to talk to him so I took it in to get machined. Still waiting for Clay to call me back, he's a busy guy I'm sure.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Bill, I'm not gonna mess with the bellows for now. I'm gonna order them, and make it one of the winter projects. It does need to get done then, I noticed a small bit of soot on the firewall on the passengers side. Not bad at all like the manifold was, but its there.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Bill, I'm not gonna mess with the bellows for now. I'm gonna order them, and make it one of the winter projects. It does need to get done then, I noticed a small bit of soot on the firewall on the passengers side. Not bad at all like the manifold was, but its there.
I don't blame you! If you can put off messing with up pipes, I would. Maybe, when you get ready to do them, you'll have time to go ahead and drop the trans out. If you build them like I did, it will be sooooooo much easier! I'll be pulling the engine from the black/red '97 soon, so the next set I build will be a fitted on that engine........on a stand......so I can stand up......

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

You got that manifold off already?????????? Man, your good, maybe I wasn't brave enough to apply a lot of force on those bolts like maybe you did. I just didn't want to break one and have to deal with that. Your smart to leave the up pipes along until next winter.

Yes Bill, I used a gasket and so far no leaks.

I also had some trouble with Horizon Ford but, for example, the exhaust manifold bolts thru them were $2 a piece and at the local Ford they were $8 apiece. So, if your shopping and not in a big hurry its worth the time to check their web site for a price. On this last time I dealed with them the ac high pressure switch and pigtail were a third of what a local Ford dealer wanted but they sent it to the wrong address. I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well, Clay answered my email last nite and said he could help me out, just kinda waiting for him to call to order. I guess I could go check if horizon answered me yet for curiousity.

I broke 4 loose with just a 3/8 ratchet. 3 took a 1/2", and the 4th took a breaker bar, and I was a little worried, but it came without snapping. I just cut the manifold to uppipe bolts.

I'll do the uppipes and other manifold this winter. I should do headers.

Horizon is where you got your stuff Glenn?

edit: No answer from horizon.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Yes, I got a few new manifold bolts and the gasket from them. Call them and Wyatt is a good guy. I never did have any luck with email to them. I don't know how you got a breaker bar in there, LOL! Did you take the plastic fender liner out?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Nope, just took the tire off. Short 6pt. socket, swivel, and 16" or so of extension. Fiddle between a couple lines and it went right in there.

I hope to hear from Clay soon. I really need the stuff by the weekend as I'm gonna have to work a little harder next week..should be this week...

Quick Reply: alternator, double tensioner, ex. manifold, starter, etc. all done thread. Few pics added