1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Replace Whole Tensioner or Just Pulley?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Whole Tensioner or Just Pulley?

Since my idler pulley literally fell out of the truck on my trip to California in March, I thought it might be a good idea to replace the pulley on the tensioner since it's original as well.

I was curious what most of you do when replacing this part: Do you replace the entire tensioner or just the pulley itself? Whatever way I choose, I'll probably be picking up the part at Napa early next week to install it before my Memorial Day trip.

I'm assuming it's a pretty easy job, right? I have to change the oil, air and fuel filter, too, so I thought I'd knock everything out at once in an evening after work.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your tensioner is the stocker I would replace it. I would go with the Ford / Motorcraft part though.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by pjwoolw
If your tensioner is the stocker I would replace it. I would go with the Ford / Motorcraft part though.
X2 on that. And yes its not very difficult to change it. The bolt of the tensioner is T50 IIRC.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
50 is correct.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
Do you happen to have a part number handy? I looked them up on Rock Auto yesterday and there were several Motorcraft tensioners listed, and I want to make sure I order the right one. I'm sure I don't want to pay dealer prices!

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Ford part number F7TZ-6B209-AA. Motorcraft BT-44. Double check those numbers just to be safe. About $90.00 from Silverstate Ford Parts. Saw a few on ebay too. But not cheaper.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
Ford part number F7TZ-6B209-AA. Motorcraft BT-44. Double check those numbers just to be safe. About $90.00 from Silverstate Ford Parts. Saw a few on ebay too. But not cheaper.
Thanks PJ! I called two local dealers and they are trying to take me for $180, or about double Silver State or Horizon. NOT going to happen!

Are the Ford tensioners that much better quality that I should avoid the parts store ones? If so, I'll put in an order through Horizon simply because they are much closer to me and I should have the part in hand within two days.

Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
I would be ok with a good quality daaco piece for myself. As well as ford.just no off brand parts store crap for me

Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Originally Posted by SHOpar
Thanks PJ! I called two local dealers and they are trying to take me for $180, or about double Silver State or Horizon. NOT going to happen!

Are the Ford tensioners that much better quality that I should avoid the parts store ones? If so, I'll put in an order through Horizon simply because they are much closer to me and I should have the part in hand within two days.

Thanks again!

When I did my dual tensioner I had to do it twice. Once with aftermarket parts. Then again with OEM parts. So in the long run its best go with the OEM stuff. It may cost you a bit more but you wont have to do it twice.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
RockAuto has Motorcraft tensioners for just over $70.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
O'riellys has a motorcraft for a 100 bucks

Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
I went out to install my new tensioner pulley last night and realized for the first time the truck has two idler pulleys as well as the tensioner. The dealer in Salinas replaced the lower, ribbed one, but the upper, smooth one is still original, so I figured I might as well order that one up before diving into the tensioner so I don't have to do the job twice.

I got a part number off the top idler pulley, but I wanted to confirm with you guys that it is the right one before ordering:
F6TE19A216GA
Also, do you guys typically have to remove the fan shround to replace the tensioner? I tried getting my T50 socket on there last night and it seemed like the shroud was going to get in the way real quick. Is it pretty easy to remove, or do you have to remove the fan as well?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went out to install my new tensioner pulley last night and realized for the first time the truck has two idler pulleys as well as the tensioner. The dealer in Salinas replaced the lower, ribbed one, but the upper, smooth one is still original, so I figured I might as well order that one up before diving into the tensioner so I don't have to do the job twice.

I got a part number off the top idler pulley, but I wanted to confirm with you guys that it is the right one before ordering:
F6TE19A216GA
Also, do you guys typically have to remove the fan shround to replace the tensioner? I tried getting my T50 socket on there last night and it seemed like the shroud was going to get in the way real quick. Is it pretty easy to remove, or do you have to remove the fan as well?

Thanks in advance!
When I changed mine I didnt remove the shroud or fan. One note: the bolt of the tensioner pulley is left hand thread.

I cant help about the number

Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

F6TE19A216GA

Thanks in advance!
You should be good. A number of Ford part numbers cross to the Motorcraft YS267. The number you posted is one of them.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Changing belts and pullies is SOOOOOOO easy with no fan on the motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Whole Tensioner or Just Pulley?