Sponsored by:

V10 ATF Flush Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:06 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
There is a plug in the bottom of the pan. you are supposed to fill it while it is running and then when it dribbles out of the plug it is full. the best way to do this is with a flush machine.
On the Explorer?? There is no way to add fluid to the transmission that I can see. I don't even have a way to tell what condition the current fluid in it is in. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
If the explorer trans is like the pos that was in my lincoln LS the "drain" plug is the fill plug....

There is a tube that runs up into the trans from the "drain plug" which sets the fill level of the trans. You would have to drop the pan to drain the fluid in the trans. Then reinstall the pan and fill threw the "drain plug" hole, up threw the tube.

Stupidest **** I ever saw!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I was part of the design/development team on the pos in your Lincoln LS. There was a reason it was built without a dipstick - there wasn't enough room to install one. The original transmission design had a dipstick. It had to be deleted because it didn't fit. I know you'll say that there is plenty of room, and it does look that way. It doesn't fit per Ford standards. Those standards are they to prevent things from hitting the body,which causes knocks, thumps, and other things customers hate.

The drain plug in the pan is in the center of a standpipe. Remove the plug and pump fluid up the standpipe. With the trans warm and the engine idling in park the level is right when the fluid stops running out. Early 5R55N transmissions had a fill plug on the extension housing. You could fill there with the plug removed. Once it stopped running out it was at the right level. The fill plug was deleted when we found dealers were filling the trans to the level of the fill plug. This caused the trans to be overfilled by more than a gallon. What a mess that caused!

You can remove the standpipe and plug together to drain the pan before removing it.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Sigskydiver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, how quickly the room quieted down....

Old 08-17-2012, 10:29 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And having said that. You can't tell me there is no room on the Explorer. Anyone can make anything fit anywhere! Look at the supercharged motor they stuffed into the mustangs! Cant tell me there was no room for a 1/2 inch (or 13mm for the manuf.) tube next to the engine. Maybe on the LS, but there is always a way!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I was part of the design/development team on the pos in your Lincoln LS. There was a reason it was built without a dipstick - there wasn't enough room to install one. The original transmission design had a dipstick. It had to be deleted because it didn't fit. I know you'll say that there is plenty of room, and it does look that way. It doesn't fit per Ford standards. Those standards are they to prevent things from hitting the body,which causes knocks, thumps, and other things customers hate.
I dunno how many times over the years, while wrenching on one of my vehicles or a friends vehicle, I didn't cuss out the engineer and his family tree wondering what the hell he was smoking when trying to wrench on a certain part, or get to a certain part.

Heh, thanks for reminding me of the other point of view, and the unbeknownst to me limitations, standards, and restrictions engineers had to work with.

Stewart

Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
And having said that. You can't tell me there is no room on the Explorer. Anyone can make anything fit anywhere! Look at the supercharged motor they stuffed into the mustangs! Cant tell me there was no room for a 1/2 inch (or 13mm for the manuf.) tube next to the engine. Maybe on the LS, but there is always a way!!!
I haven't looked at the Explorer. It might fit.

A half inch tube needs over an inch of room to allow for engine movement.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:41 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry. Wasnt attacking you. Just the idea of no dipstick in general. I reread my post and it sounded like i was attacking you, which i wasnt. It just came out that way.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't looked either. I don't do much of my own service anymore. But let's assume the dipstick would fit for a second.... do you suppose Ford just wanted to insure that people would be forced to bring the vehicles back to them for service?

I have 60,000+ miles on my 2004 Explorer now. I would like to change the fluid the old conventional manner, drop the pan, let what will drain fall out, and put pan back on. But I have no idea where to put fluid back into the transmission. If I take it into the dealer will they do it in the old conventional manner for me? As per our previous discussions, I am just not a big fan of a total flush, seen too many problems with it.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by VaSheriff
do you suppose Ford just wanted to insure that people would be forced to bring the vehicles back to them for service?
No, because any auto shop can do it. The thought process was to save the cost of the dipstick and tube.

Originally Posted by VaSheriff
But I have no idea where to put fluid back into the transmission. If I take it into the dealer will they do it in the old conventional manner for me? As per our previous discussions, I am just not a big fan of a total flush, seen too many problems with it.
I don't know what your dealer will do. Dealers are independent businesses and do what they want. Ford can suggest what to do, but they can't control it.

Here's how you would fill the trans in your 2004 Explorer.
The drain plug in the pan is in the center of a standpipe. Remove the plug and pump fluid up the standpipe. With the trans warm and the engine idling in park the level is right when the fluid stops running out.

You can remove the standpipe and plug together to drain the pan before removing it.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:44 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can just drain and refill, but my procedure changes more of the fluid. A drain and refill won't get the fluid out of the coolers, the clutches, the accumulators, or the valve body.
But it gets 90% which is good enough without going to more trouble.....right? (I plan to do mine soon). Also, I am seeing different amounts of ATF needed and it looks like I will need 16 quarts if I just drain the converter and pan, right? I don't plan to drop the pan and change the filter since it is supposed to be a lifetime filter.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 PM
ot1
New User
Originally Posted by EXv10
But it gets 90% which is good enough without going to more trouble.....right? (I plan to do mine soon). Also, I am seeing different amounts of ATF needed and it looks like I will need 16 quarts if I just drain the converter and pan, right? I don't plan to drop the pan and change the filter since it is supposed to be a lifetime filter.
Well if you dont have a drain plug in the Tconverter, then you would only get about a 35% percent change if you only drained the tranny pan. Major fluid holders are the two coolers and the Tconverter
Anyway no where near 90%. If you read this thread they discontinued the Tconverter plug by mid of 2002

Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Nosedive1
Junior User
Is there a type of ATF fluid that is preferred for the X. I just installed the 6.0L tranny cooler and went back with Motorcraft for what I put back in but I am getting ready to do a fluid change on the tranny and not looking forward to paying the dealership price for 20 quarts of Motorcraft MerconV.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Use any MERCON V fluid. If you want to go to synthetic I recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ot1
Well if you dont have a drain plug in the Tconverter, then you would only get about a 35% percent change if you only drained the tranny pan. Major fluid holders are the two coolers and the Tconverter
Anyway no where near 90%. If you read this thread they discontinued the Tconverter plug by mid of 2002
M
Mine is 2000 and it should get about 90% of the oil which is fine with me. The oil cooler doesn't hold much and I doubt if it stays full all the time. There is just some thin channels in there and the converter is the big player not the cooler.

Mark; how much oil is in the v10 cooler and when is it all in there?

Quick Reply: V10 ATF Flush Experience