Sponsored by:

Exhaust leaking into cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Kallie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust leaking into cab

I have a 89 302 auto with about 160k. The tailpipe comes out on the passenger side just behind the rear tire. It is a single pipe. I have only had it a few months and the exhaust leaks into the cab with rear window open, even if it is only open a little or all the way down. So I took it to the local shop and the mechanic said it just needed to bent a little more forward so actually pointed away from the truck completely. It originally pointed just a little toward the back. It was just leaking into the rear window at that time now it is both. They told me they could bend it back and just don't roll down the rear window. They said the Bronco and the Blazers have same problem and that is why they don't make them with rear windows that roll down anymore. Can't wait for input. My dogs would not be very happy if they can't hang out the rear window this summer . That is why I traded my Ranger for this so when the weather is good they can a lot of air and when the weather is bad they will be dry ( it rains a lot here).

Thanks,
Kallie

Old 05-06-2003, 07:22 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Exhaust leaking into cab

Do you have either of the front windows down, or the vent on with the fan blowing when you have this problem? I remember reading somewhere (maybe owner's manual?) that you needed some positive ventilation from the front in order to keep the fumes from coming in. I never had a problem with mine with either the stock or upgraded exhaust systems I had on my '85.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Kallie
Senior User
Exhaust leaking into cab

Yes, I have tried rolling down the front windows to vent the fumes but it didn't work. I have never tried the fan though. I will try that. THis the reason I sold my Blazer 5years ago 2 months after I bouhgt it. The other thing I thought of was maybe my exhaust is just so bad because it needs work.

Thanks,
Kallie

Old 05-06-2003, 08:17 PM
drittler
New User
Exhaust leaking into cab

I have duals that come out 90 degrees behind the tires on my 91.
I don't get any exhaust unless I really get on it. I usually have at least one front window down or the suicide window, otherwise the airflow is back in the rear window. I don't know if it matters, but I have a small visor/wind deflector thing mounted above the rear window. It was there when I bought it and I never pulled it off, maybe that helps? I don't know.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:41 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Exhaust leaking into cab

If your exhaust system has any leaks that could be your problem. I never had a problem on mine.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:01 AM
Bodyman Chuck
Senior User
Exhaust leaking into cab

the wing on the back of drittler's truck is the key.it helps push air down the back of the truck.with all new exhaust you could still get fumes.the air from under the truck is coming up the back,that's why the rear window gets dirty when it rains or snow etc.the wing or spoiler directs air down.the better the truck runs the less you would smell the exhaust.find a spoiler the dogs will thank you,they smell it too.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Kallie
Senior User
Exhaust leaking into cab

Thank you to all of you all your suggestions are good. I will definitely look for rear deflector. Unfortunately I found our my Bronco is not worth puuting too much money into. It has a tweaked body. I guess I should be glad it turned out not to be a tweaked frame. The previous owner used to jump it at the bayfront, now he is jumping th Ranger I traded him for the Bronco. As for the dogs they wont go near the back window if it is open.

Thanks again,
Kallie