6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Customer Satisfaction Program 12B34

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:13 PM
jim48
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Customer Satisfaction Program 12B34

I just got a letter in the mail today with customer satisfaction program 12B34 for my 2011 diesel chassis cab. I called the dealer and the truck goes in Thursday. This marks the first time since I took delivery that my truck has been at any dealer.

I've got 12,000 miles as of this week, and never had a check engine light or any thing else. The letter says the following:

Ford motor company has authorized your dealer to reprogram the PCM and NOS module, and if necessary, replace your nos and or turbocharger. Have any of you chassis cab guys had this recall done yet? I know our engines are different than the big boys with the pickups.

Jim

Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
hay is for horses
Junior User
no letter for me yet, mine chassis cab is a 2012

Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
jim48
Elder User
Maybe the 2012's won't be affected the letter. The dealer said they have only reprogrammed the PCM and have not replaced any parts under this letter. My truck seems to be AOK, but I don't drive it much, sits in the garage most the time. I thought I remember some of the pickup guy's having this situation also, could be wrong.

I guess the cc's have different turbo and some other differences, not sure what they are.

Jim

Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Us pickup folks have had the nos calibration done which involves a flash and I don't know what else. I'm sure it's emissions related and a refinement of how the system makes changes in boost, fuel mixtures/injector pulses/regen/urea injection/EGR percentage, and whatever else you can think of like mass air flow calculations.

It appears that they have addressed the chassis cab engines too. Your turbo may be fine but could be problematic with the new calibration so they may need to change it? I have no idea but I know it's a hard decision. I resisted the calibration for a long time because I didn't want to fix something that wasn't broken. But after doing it my truck runs better, so it's all good.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 AM
jim48
Elder User
Yeah, I also am worried about changing a truck that is running perfectly. My dealer's young diesel mech is VERY GOOD, and he knows I am VERY VERY picky about my truck. He knows better than to do something that would change it's current perfect running. I'll have a talk with him prior to any changes, if I don't feel comfortable with the changes, they won't be done.

I think us cc guys have a different turbo that makes less boost and is a simplier design. I'm sure the engine programming is also different, and perhaps the emission requirements are different too. I know the pickup guys get more hp and torque, though I have never found I needed all my puny engine has. When you drive like a old grandma, you have no idea what these engines are really capable of doing. You young guys with the 400 hp beasts are much more knowledgeable about these engine's performance capabilities than I ever will be.

Anyhow, if any of you fellow cc guys have participated in this program I sure would like to know all about what is involved!!! Happy Travels......

Jim

Old 06-05-2012, 06:04 PM
96bigblueford
Junior User
Jim I just recieved my letter saturday but have nor called about it yet. I might get a chance to call the dealership tomorrow.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
jim48
Elder User
I rode the cycle over to the dealer today and had a talk with the diesel tech. He said if it was his truck he would perform the update as it tweaks the nos and turbo. This dealer sells a lot of chassis cab diesels and they have not replaced any chassis cab turbos. Almost all the chassis cab diesels are heavy farm use vehicles with flatbeds and usually hydraulic hay hooks. Actually they have had very few 6.7 diesel incidents of any kind. A few nos replacements and two fuel pump issues both of which involved large amounts of water in the fuel tank.

Anyhow, this is what I know about the 12B34 customer satisfaction letter as it concerns the chassis cab diesels.

Jim

Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm taking mine into the dealer in the morning to have it flashed,I asked the service manager before that I didnt want to fix something that wasn't broke and he stated then it will only make it better. So mine is headed in for the flash in the morning and will report back the results...

I'm willing to bet it has to do with all the high altitude testing Ford has done recently that we are getting the calibrations for...

Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 PM
jim48
Elder User
Thanks for the info. I don't know if this program is the same as what was done on the pickups. Like I said I know there are differences in the turbo, emissions and maybe pcm and def usage. I am a little nervous about letting anyone touch a great running truck. That is why I rode to the dealer today to talk personally to the tech. He knows me and my finiky ways. He said to do it so it goes in Thursday. Maybe one of our moderators know if 12B34 is the same program for pickups or chassis cabs...............

Jim

Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Just got mine programmed,it updated the TCM,PCM,NOX and GPS on mine.. Took about 45min,headed out for the day. Will report back..

Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 AM
jim48
Elder User
Rutcutter, I guess the truck in the signature is the truck you are referring to. I wondered if this specific program 12B34 is chassis cab specific or pickups and chassic cabs? I guess I'll get that answer Thursday afternoon when the truck goes in.

Jim

Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
jim48 I got the letter awhile back and was just hesitant to bring it in for the flash when I havent had any problem's with it... So far the truck seems better but will know more when I put some more miles on it this afternoon.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
smallcandle
Junior User
Originally Posted by jim48
Rutcutter, I guess the truck in the signature is the truck you are referring to. I wondered if this specific program 12B34 is chassis cab specific or pickups and chassic cabs? I guess I'll get that answer Thursday afternoon when the truck goes in.

Jim
Jim,

I believe my letter stated 12B33 for my 2011 pickup. It would appear that 12B34 refers only to the chassis cab trucks such as yours. In any event, I had the dealer in Winfield perform the work on my truck last week and all seems fine. I've put about 400 miles on it since then and everything appears to be working as it should.

Let us know how your experience turns out tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
jim48
Elder User
Thanks Smallcandle. My truck going to Winfield also. Shane is the best in my opinion. Two years ago I spent a lot of time with him on the phone while I was broke down on the side of I40 in Arizona trying to get my 04 running. Long story short, two dealers messed it up, I patched it with duct tape and help from Shane, and limped home so he could fix it. Believe it or not the other two dealers apologized for their mechanics and one of them reimbursed me the money for their service. That is why Shane is #1, also why the truck is going to him before the next tow. I'll let you know about 12B34 after tomorrow's work.

Jim

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM
smallcandle
Junior User
Sounds good, Jim. I suspected Shane was the diesel tech you were referring to. He has been great with my trucks as well and is quite honestly the reason I return there for service. Hope all is well after today's service.

Brian

Quick Reply: Customer Satisfaction Program 12B34