1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

MII Front end coil spring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Tyler, I would expect that if you compress the spring with a pair of the typical threaded rod with 2 C hooks spring compressors, enough to allow it to be fully seated on the lower seat and then into the upper pocket so the lower ball joint can be tightened up without any effort then slowly release it allowing it to expand into the upper pocket it should stay in it's proper place. I'd place one compressor towards the side of the spring closest to the frame, the other near opposite. Release the outermost compressor first then the inner one, this will cause the spring to arch like it needs to do in place.
AX, I'm not well versed on spring compressors. Do you have a pic of the type you are describing? The one I have has a threaded rod that runs down inside the spring, passes thru the middle of a sturdy plate (not threaded) that lays across the width of the coils then thru a set of two hinged fingers or hooks (these ARE threaded) that engage the coils. As I crank I down the fingers pull their coil toward the plate and it's coil. Are you talking about something different? It sounds like what you are describing maybe is on the outside of the spring?

Thanks for all your help on this!

Tyler

Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

AX, is this what you are talking about?

or maybe this?

I looked on the internet and I don't see a picture of what I have been using. I borrowed it from an O'Reilly auto parts store.

Tyler

Old 06-03-2012, 03:05 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The real question is why the Balljoints are allowing such articulation. When the spindle is connected properly the spring should be seated on both sides, and should NOT be able to extend as far as what you've shown us.

Sam

Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by sdetweil
The real question is why the Balljoints are allowing such articulation. When the spindle is connected properly the spring should be seated on both sides, and should NOT be able to extend as far as what you've shown us.

Sam
I can't answer that one. The ball joints were all preassembled/installed when the front end kit came.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyler S
AX, is this what you are talking about?

or maybe this?

I looked on the internet and I don't see a picture of what I have been using. I borrowed it from an O'Reilly auto parts store.

Tyler
Yes that's the type I was referring to (both pix are variants of the same design) Harbor Fright sells a set of those for 13.00. I think I have a set in the garage along with the bear trap style. I have used them for coilovers (what I'm usually compressing) but I finally built a hydraulic compressor that works really slick for COs. I know the type you are talking about, seems they would be really difficult to use unless you have a large enough hole in the center of the spring seat to take it out thru.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Yes that's the type I was referring to (both pix are variants of the same design) Harbor Fright sells a set of those for 13.00. I think I have a set in the garage along with the bear trap style. I have used them for coilovers (what I'm usually compressing) but I finally built a hydraulic compressor that works really slick for COs. I know the type you are talking about, seems they would be really difficult to use unless you have a large enough hole in the center of the spring seat to take it out thru.
It comes out through the bottom. It works ok I guess. I've got nothing to compare it to though. It's the only one I've ever used.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I see one end of the spring is flat, and the other is not. Are you sure you don't have it upside down? Typically one seat is shaped to fit the cut off or not straight across end. It also keeps the spring from rotating. Did the order or kit not specify the spring stiffness? It should be spec'd in lbs./in.
I like carnut's hint that the wheel and tire should be on the other side when jacking the lower A arm, it will put a lot more weight on that side. If you don't have the other spring in yet you should be able to put a block in to support that side temporarily.
Another hint, try disconnecting the sway bar first, while both sides at relaxed or sitting even. it will fight you when you jack up one side so it is quite possibly the actual source of your issues. Reconnect it after your done and the truck is sitting evenly on both wheels.

The correct side of the spring is down as there's a "step" in the perch to accommodate the end of the spring. You're right about the sway bar having to be disconnected on both sides.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
As I recall, you have a TCI frame and other stuff don't you? My frame is original, but TCI MII and other components.

t
Yes, I have the entire frame, but the set up is the same. Can you lower the a-arm enough to muscle the spring up onto the perch on the engine side? If so, clamp the Vice-grip onto the the a-arm (from the bottom with the handle at 6 o'clock) to provide a bump to keep the spring from jumping off of the perch as you tighten the ball-joint nuts on the spindle to compress the spring.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Tyler, I would expect that if you compress the spring with a pair of the typical threaded rod with 2 C hooks spring compressors, enough to allow it to be fully seated on the lower seat and then into the upper pocket so the lower ball joint can be tightened up without any effort then slowly release it allowing it to expand into the upper pocket it should stay in it's proper place. I'd place one compressor towards the side of the spring closest to the frame, the other near opposite. Release the outermost compressor first then the inner one, this will cause the spring to arch like it needs to do in place.
Ax, I did that and it was nearly impossible due to clearance issues. Sam is correct in that the only spring compressor worth wasting your time on is the one with the threaded rod the goes up through the center of the spring. It would be relatively easy to fabricate one from threaded rod and some steel plate.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:46 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
springs

Be VERY VERY carefull when playing with springs !!!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

I can't answer that one. The ball joints were all preassembled/installed when the front end kit came.
Hey Sam,
Do you think maybe once I install the steering rack it will restrict the spindle/ball joint/A arm movement a bit more, thus helping keep the spring seated?
Just a thought.
Tyler

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Sam
Hey Sam,
Do you think maybe once I install the steering rack it will restrict the spindle/ball joint/A arm movement a bit more, thus helping keep the spring seated?
Just a thought.
Tyler

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Sam,
Just a thought.
Tyler
No, the rack really has no impact on travel

Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

No, the rack really has no impact on travel
Hm. Dang it.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 PM
slowcruser
Freshman User
Ben thier ...

I to ran in to this problem, and was told by my father-in-law to skip it till I got the rest of the body on for weight to fully compress the springs to drop into the spring perch pocket. And I did till several year have passed by and I forgot to re-address the issue.

Driving back from DMV just getting my licens plates , first half mile driving. (good times) " TILL " the speed bump in the mini mall parking lot. First time I crawled over not problems. second one hit it a little faster, And then it set.

I went from 3 1/4 inch cross member ground clearance to 3/4 inch cross member ground clearance in a instant.

My advice is to skippit for now. But red tag it after you have more weight to compress the springs at ride wieght. You could add misc. sand bags, bar bell weights , tires filled with dirt, scrap meral and water tubs to weight the frame for now. Just don't do what I did, I don't recommend it!

Quick Reply: MII Front end coil spring question