Been thinking about doing these mirrors for a while

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
I like the OBS mirrors but when you are towing 25'+ trailer they suck
I've got the factory tow mirrors and love them for towing. Not the best looking, but I've gotten so used to them that I can't see anything when I drive my girlfriends grand Cherokee.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bryanlindborg600
Do it man! If your thinking of doing it you will he stoked as he!! When your done! I did it About a yr. Ago give of take and love it!! Such an improvement!! I had a buddy fill my old holes and roll body filler into the small gap your gonna have between the mirror and body, but even before that they looked killer IMHO! Maintain the wing window and have a better then any stock option mirror! Can't beat it!!
U wouldn't happen to have any pics would ya? Did u actually weld a triangle plate infront of the wing window? U know like on the inner side where the plastic of the mirror covers it. Thas what the other guy seemed to do.
In this pic

I have a general idea of how just need to get a set of these mirrors an start messing with them. After I get my bellowed uppipes in and the rig put back together of course.
Some pics and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks brother!!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 AM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
I got pics somewhere... That write up is very similar to how I did my set up, when you get your mirrors you will see you have two options to go with as far as body lines, from what I can tell the guy in the 2nd link you posted chose to keep the mirror level with the door/window line where as the the first link you put up he went with the windshield line.. I fought with what to do when I was holding them up And playing around but went with the first. It slightly backgrades the lower section of the mirror causing a place for water to sit so after my body work of filling the holes I used a black silicone to create a path for water to roll out rather then sit, but blah blah blah... I can post some pics and give you any kind of info you want when you get going!!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Dutch Semi
Senior User
Keep the mirrors, I'll take the truck! But seriousy, I like the OEM mirrors for our trucks. The style that mount half way down the door. I have some sort of sporty mirror on my truck that are sun faded, don't fold in, and the thing I hate the most is, they are not comfortable to rest my hand on while driving. The old style acted as an external OH $hlt! Handle!

-Joseph

Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bryanlindborg600
I got pics somewhere... That write up is very similar to how I did my set up, when you get your mirrors you will see you have two options to go with as far as body lines, from what I can tell the guy in the 2nd link you posted chose to keep the mirror level with the door/window line where as the the first link you put up he went with the windshield line.. I fought with what to do when I was holding them up And playing around but went with the first. It slightly backgrades the lower section of the mirror causing a place for water to sit so after my body work of filling the holes I used a black silicone to create a path for water to roll out rather then sit, but blah blah blah... I can post some pics and give you any kind of info you want when you get going!!
Did u use the older model flip up or the newer one. I read somewhere that one has a smaller plastic triangle piece. Seem to be a pretty easy install from what I have read and seen. The holes from the old mirrors shouldn't be too bad since my rig aint no "show" truck. Lol. She has been places we will just say that. Ha ha ha

Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Splatts
The holes from the old mirrors shouldn't be too bad since my rig aint no "show" truck. Lol. She has been places we will just say that. Ha ha ha
Holes left in sheet metal will rust a work truck, a "go" truck and a "show" truck all at the same rate.....

Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Some stainless Allen bolts would look good in the holes till body filler time. Nylon flat washers for seals.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
I was thinking just fill them then maybe some sort of international emblem or something over the top. Idk. Or just throw a touch of primer over it to keep it from rusting for the time. It will just match the rest of the cab, scratches and dings. Lol. She ain't purdy but she is a beast!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:30 AM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
Originally Posted by Splatts
Did u use the older model flip up or the newer one. I read somewhere that one has a smaller plastic triangle piece. Seem to be a pretty easy install from what I have read and seen. The holes from the old mirrors shouldn't be too bad since my rig aint no "show" truck. Lol. She has been places we will just say that. Ha ha ha
Yes sir, the 2nd gen. Mirrors are smaller at the mounting point! If your not worried about the old holes in your door the install will be very simple! Go slow at tacking your medal to the door as not to tweak the door metal and you'll be good to go!!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:34 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
That guy in the psn link did a good job with the project overall, but he lined them up horribly. If you mess around you can find a sweet spot where the curve of the mirror matches the door/wind window curve as well as the top diagonal piece lines up with the wing window edge.

If you guys need more info I've done a write up on 3 or 4 sites now.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Did u use the mirrors from 94-01? I just ordered the ones from 02-?? I hope I didn't make a mistake. Btw those look good man. Hoping mine turns out that good

Old 06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Yes, the newer dodge mirrors are too fat on the base. Thanks, and just go low and slow and you will be good to go.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by glovemeister
Yes, the newer dodge mirrors are too fat on the base. Thanks, and just go low and slow and you will be good to go.
Are u a rapper? Lol. Thanks again for the info I contacted the guy to change my order just waiting for a return email. Keep u fellas posted and post up some pics. Thanks

Quick Reply: Been thinking about doing these mirrors for a while