1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Order Help Needed

Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 AM
user 367865976
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Order Help Needed

OK, I do need help on this...
Bought a 1950 F1 3 weeks ago here in Albuquerque, NM. I accepted a job transfer to Jacksonville, FL...to report in Early September. I have to stabilize the truck to sit safely in the garage for about a year, so sometime I can return the 1800 miles and tow it to FLA.

Problem is, the order of the build, and the cost of things to get it stabilized:

Have engine permanently mounted, tranny in, but using angle iron to hold in place at the mount. I just bought wheels, need tires this weekend, so it will roll.

Here is what the dilemna is: Back glass broken out, all front and rear window seals need replaced, I have a driveshaft (possibly original, but I have an AOD transmission), door windows are difficult at best to operate. No brakes.

So with having limited time and money, where should I go next? I figure tires will let it roll, so I need to go for a driveshaft so it can be placed in park and not roll. Safety first.

Then securing the truck with a back window and roll-em-up window rebuild kits?

THen the hydraulic brakes, then get er started?

THen I have all the take off old parts that I need to dispose of...like I iwll have 5 wheels to get rid of and they are large.

I do not want to waste any effort or money doing something twice...meaning putting a band aid on something, then buying the real part later.

Thoughts?

Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 712 Likes on 256 Posts
so ? You plan on driving it to Fla ??? braver man than me. If it were me (and I'm glad it isn't) Before I'd invest the money in the vehicle that won't see the road for a while... and you not quite sure of your build plan before Id invest in the parts/time/trouble I'd drive back to NM... rent a u-haul trailer and tow it to it's new home in Fla . Tarp it if you need to keep the weather out or just tape plastic over the open windows.

If the tires are good enough to hold air for a while... push, pull or winch it up on the trailer, tie her down and drive south till you hit I-10 then east till you see the Atlantic... you'll enjoy it much more and so will the truck

that's all assuming you have a vehicle that will tow it... but you're probably only looking at 5K including the trailer.. most of the way is fairly flat along the coast... no major mountains or anything to strain the tow vehicle..take pictures along the way of the truck admiring the Texas landscape... you sitting on the tailgate eating shrimp and mudbugs in La. Winning enough in Biloxi Ms to pay to have someone finish the truck for you... and admiring the sugar white beaches on the Ala gulf coast... this is a memory maker tour for sure !!

later
John

Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya. What he said

Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 604 Likes on 376 Posts
Are you permanently moving to FL? If so, I'd consider just selling the truck here, and buying a new one down there, or somewhere close. I bet the money would be close to the same. I can't imagine you getting it to FL for less than $1500. In 3 weeks you can't have put too much into it?

One thing about desert iron, as soon as you leave the SW with it, bare spots that were fine for years here suddenly start turning orange. In a place like FL, it could dissolve pretty quickly.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Unless you have a trailer and a suitable tow vehicle to use, it would be cheaper and easier to have it shipped to FL rather than fly in and rent a truck and trailer. Shipping cross country can be done for < 1000.00. If you are going to store the truck in a garage in NM, I wouldn't do anything to it except maybe tires until you get settled in and decide for sure what you are going to do with it. Seal all openings in the engine including carb, exhaust to keep mice out, cover the truck with a tarp or cover.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 288 Likes on 166 Posts
So between now and the end of August, you would propose to start a rebuild while winding down your work and living arrangements in NM and setting up operations in FLA. I'm all for optimistic scheduling, but be sure to have a Plan B that allows you to stash this beauty in a storage location for an eventual trailer ride to Florida. With unlimited funding and very dedicated time commitments, anything is possible - with reality potentially intruding - follow John and AX's advice.

DW

Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 PM
user 367865976
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the idea of the travelling F-1, kinda like a gnome vacation! I forgot that the plan to leave a rusty exterior would probably deteriorate in FLA...but it would be a garage truck, and USED as a truck.

I would have to drive my truck (tow vehicle) from here to FLA with a small uhaul, then make the return drive to get my dogs here in Albuquerque and drive them back. I would consider buying a trailer in Missouri (my home state). I can get an excellent car trailer 18' dovetail with ramps and tires (NEW) for $1,365. I have bought two like that, and sold in ABQ for a profit of 300-400 each. So a pit stop back home on the drive here. Get the F-1 on the trailer, and take to the coast.

I do have to come back to get my dogs, and they are about 100 pounds each, so there is not really an option other than driving back to get the dogs and truck...people would think I was getting a divorce...get my truck, and my dogs...left her everything else!!! hahahaha. That is funny sounding.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by straws
OK, I do need help on this...
Bought a 1950 F1 3 weeks ago here in Albuquerque, NM. I accepted a job transfer to Jacksonville, FL...to report in Early September. I have to stabilize the truck to sit safely in the garage for about a year, so sometime I can return the 1800 miles and tow it to FLA.

Problem is, the order of the build, and the cost of things to get it stabilized:

Have engine permanently mounted, tranny in, but using angle iron to hold in place at the mount. I just bought wheels, need tires this weekend, so it will roll.

Here is what the dilemna is: Back glass broken out, all front and rear window seals need replaced, I have a driveshaft (possibly original, but I have an AOD transmission), door windows are difficult at best to operate. No brakes.

So with having limited time and money, where should I go next? I figure tires will let it roll, so I need to go for a driveshaft so it can be placed in park and not roll. Safety first.

Then securing the truck with a back window and roll-em-up window rebuild kits?

THen the hydraulic brakes, then get er started?

THen I have all the take off old parts that I need to dispose of...like I iwll have 5 wheels to get rid of and they are large.

I do not want to waste any effort or money doing something twice...meaning putting a band aid on something, then buying the real part later.

Thoughts?
Correct order would have been to accept job first, buy truck second.

How about some pics of what shape it is in? Perhaps some better advice could be given.

From your description you have a frame and body with motor and tranny out. I would put it in the garage, chock the wheels (just as safe as brakes), and shut the door. When you are ready to pick it up bring a 3/4 ton truck and a flatbed trailer. Engine, tranny, and any parts in bed, truck on trailer secured with straps. Start the build when you get it to FLA. And if you change your mind and want to sell it, you don't have any thing into it other than what you paid and storage.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There are also a number of car trailer builders outside Atlanta (check ebay) where you could pick up a trailer cheap. Indiana and GA are the trailer capitals of the country.