Notices

How to tow and make money, without all the paperwork?

 
  #1  
Old 06-02-2019, 11:33 PM
FinallygotaOBS
FinallygotaOBS is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 25
FinallygotaOBS is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to tow and make money, without all the paperwork?

If this isnt the place for this question, or this site isnt then this can be deleted, but its the only place i know that has people that knows their rear end from a hole in a ground.

HOWEVER
two months ago, i bought a CCSB 7.3 powerstroke, OBS.
Its needing a driveshaft because its vibrating, ive cleared it up alot with a new carrier bearing housing, im currently working a job to pay to fix it how i want ( im 19, going to college so i dont have alot of bills )
anyways, besides my life story, i was wanting to ask you all how do i tow 1-2 vehicles a few times a week locally or just near me, for cash.
i dont care if its hours of driving either, thats fine with me
i know about central dispatch, but i dont have CDL's, or million dollar insurance.
my friends dad does something similar for this, he does it daily, and is home by the night.
he said he would give me what he couldnt get ( 1 - 2 cars at once ) but if he falls through for whatever reason, how do i go about doing this.
i have the 18ft double axle trailer, appropriate tie downs, trailer brakes, lighting, all that. I have the whole setup ready to go, i just dont know how to go about getting the work.

If anyone knows anything like that i can checkout, please let me know, Thank you!
 
  #2  
Old 06-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Chuck's First Ford is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: very South Texas
Posts: 4,372
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
its done.... as an underground business..... so not legal and NO insurance coverage...

to earn money hauling.. requires a CDL....

not difficult or costly.. except for doctor visits ...

I had one for years.. and drove for a company...

I hope you do not have a family or own a home...as you could loose both

my opinion.
 
  #3  
Old 06-03-2019, 03:31 PM
Tedster9's Avatar
Tedster9
Tedster9 is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Waterloo, Iowa
Posts: 15,662
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
"Subrogation" is a term nobody wants to find out what that means the hard way. Basically, if you are charged with an at fault collision they will come after you for everything over and above for whatever insurance doesn't cover, bodily injury, property, everything. House, garnish wages etc.
 
  #4  
Old 06-03-2019, 04:37 PM
TrucksNCoffee
TrucksNCoffee is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Rio Rancho NM
Posts: 99
TrucksNCoffee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TrucksNCoffee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm a retired CDL driver who started driving commercially more than 49 years ago. The following are my opinions, for what they are worth.

"i dont care if its hours of driving either, thats fine with me". Wrong. Wrong information, wrong attitude. Hours of driving is not okay. There are laws that dictate how many hours you may drive in a given period of time. They have been established for very good reasons.

"i know about central dispatch, but i dont have CDL's, or million dollar insurance." If you're involved in an accident that is entirely the other person's fault, but you don't have the required CDL endorsement, medical card, and insurance, guess what? IT'S YOUR FAULT, because you should not have been on the road with your trailer and load. You don't have the required insurance? Who is going to pay the medical bill for that injured child in the other car that you hit because you followed too closely for a just a moment?

Are you aware that many states have a lower blood alcohol level for truck drivers on the job, than is the standard for regular automobile drivers? Good for you if you do, not so good if you don't. Do you know which medical conditions, illnesses, eyesight correction, over-the-counter and presription medications, are acceptable, and which are not? Ditto.

Hauling the odd load for friends and family and getting reimbursed for gas/diesel expenses is cool. But, if you're charging your customers for your service, you're a commercial driver, and law enforcement cracked down hard a few decades ago on drivers not having their commercial driver's license and current medical card.

May I respectfully suggest that you reconsider what you are contemplating, and be willing to pay for the training required by law before going any farther? Everything that Chuck's First Ford and Tedster9 posted above is true. A court of law can make your life a living hell for a very long time. Driving any truck/trailer combination, large or small, for a living, for any period of time, is serious business.
 
  #5  
Old 06-03-2019, 10:36 PM
FinallygotaOBS
FinallygotaOBS is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 25
FinallygotaOBS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
I'm a retired CDL driver who started driving commercially more than 49 years ago. The following are my opinions, for what they are worth.

"i dont care if its hours of driving either, thats fine with me". Wrong. Wrong information, wrong attitude. Hours of driving is not okay. There are laws that dictate how many hours you may drive in a given period of time. They have been established for very good reasons.

"i know about central dispatch, but i dont have CDL's, or million dollar insurance." If you're involved in an accident that is entirely the other person's fault, but you don't have the required CDL endorsement, medical card, and insurance, guess what? IT'S YOUR FAULT, because you should not have been on the road with your trailer and load. You don't have the required insurance? Who is going to pay the medical bill for that injured child in the other car that you hit because you followed too closely for a just a moment?

Are you aware that many states have a lower blood alcohol level for truck drivers on the job, than is the standard for regular automobile drivers? Good for you if you do, not so good if you don't. Do you know which medical conditions, illnesses, eyesight correction, over-the-counter and presription medications, are acceptable, and which are not? Ditto.

Hauling the odd load for friends and family and getting reimbursed for gas/diesel expenses is cool. But, if you're charging your customers for your service, you're a commercial driver, and law enforcement cracked down hard a few decades ago on drivers not having their commercial driver's license and current medical card.

May I respectfully suggest that you reconsider what you are contemplating, and be willing to pay for the training required by law before going any farther? Everything that Chuck's First Ford and Tedster9 posted above is true. A court of law can make your life a living hell for a very long time. Driving any truck/trailer combination, large or small, for a living, for any period of time, is serious business.




i didnt really mean that " hours and hours " of driving as in driving for hours on end, i was just saying that if it was a bit out, like all day driving that i would be fine with it, im pretty familiar with not driving while tired, and doing it for hours on end is not a good idea i agree. i knew that there was laws behind it.

And i mean, i dont really want to make a insane amount of money or make it a permanent thing/career or whatever, if that was the case i would get CDL's and do just that.

i was wanting to make a little money with the truck so that i could help build it, thats all.

i still dont think that you would be at fault for someone hitting you, for you hitting someone though, that wouldnt make a difference whether you had insurance for cargo or not, about it being your fault anyways, because with or without it, it would be.
 
  #6  
Old 06-03-2019, 10:39 PM
FinallygotaOBS
FinallygotaOBS is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 25
FinallygotaOBS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford View Post
its done.... as an underground business..... so not legal and NO insurance coverage...

to earn money hauling.. requires a CDL....

not difficult or costly.. except for doctor visits ...

I had one for years.. and drove for a company...

I hope you do not have a family or own a home...as you could loose both

my opinion.


i thought it was insanely expensive, for CDL classes, and the insurance to hual, not even with a rig.
 
  #7  
Old 06-03-2019, 11:00 PM
jetjockey99
jetjockey99 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,045
jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Even doing this on a part time local short trip basis you can and most likely be stopped and checked if you are pulling a trailer big enough to haul 2 cars. I have been when pulling my own trailer and moving my own equipment, fortunately I was able to prove that I was only moving my own stuff, not for profit. I do have a Class A CDL with over 5 million miles of OTR experience and do follow the rules, other wise the fines could/would have been substantial, and if an accident had happened without all the correct license, permits and other paperwork charges of criminal vehicular operation could have been filed. It is not worth the risk to not do it the right way.
 
  #8  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Tedster9's Avatar
Tedster9
Tedster9 is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Waterloo, Iowa
Posts: 15,662
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by FinallygotaOBS View Post
i thought it was insanely expensive, for CDL classes, and the insurance to hual, not even with a rig.
CDL isn't that bad, for some values of "insane" I suppose.
 
  #9  
Old 06-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Chuck's First Ford is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: very South Texas
Posts: 4,372
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
  #10  
Old 06-06-2019, 08:38 AM
EDC8008
EDC8008 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 613
EDC8008 has a good reputation on FTE.EDC8008 has a good reputation on FTE.EDC8008 has a good reputation on FTE.
I've seen the aftermath of just what people are warning you not to do. If you get pulled over hauling for hire if you are lucky then you just get a ticket. I remember years ago when I started pulling generators around for my company I had to put a commercial insurance policy in place to be able to tow. Wasn't cheap. I found out it was cheaper though than to have something happen and they wouldn't cover anything for mine or the other vehicles. You have to remember that when you haul for pay you are 100% responsible for the customers goods good and especially bad.

You have to be aware of the possibilities of what this can cost you if things happen.

It sounds like you've already convinced yourself that it is alright to do something that is not a good idea and illegal as you are currently able to but the recommendation is to stop and not do this.
 
  #11  
Old 06-07-2019, 01:51 PM
xrated
xrated is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 398
xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Uh Oh.....this ain't gonna have a happy ending! And to think, I'm only one state away from him......Stay North please if you decide to do this!
 
  #12  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:26 PM
First Dually
First Dually is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 428
First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.First Dually has a very good reputation on FTE.
You may very well get caught. When I pull an equipment trailer with my personal tractor-loader-backhoe on it authorities stop me all the time to verify I'm not commercial.

If you don't get caught, you have taken your young age and future college degree and gambled it. Possibly losing everything you have. And possibly for a L-O-N-G time. Your friend's dad is showing you a path to a potential nightmare.

I wouldn't tow/haul for hire without the required equipment/licenses/insurance on a bet. Not even around the block.

"They" say advice is worth what you pay for. Not true. The folks in previous posts discouraging you from doing this are giving really sound advice.
 
  #13  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM
cob1181
cob1181 is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 85
cob1181 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You dont necessarily need a CDL. Google FMCSA CDL spreadsheet. This will tell you if you need a CDL. You will need a Medical Card, triangles, fire extinguisher, a paper log or eld depending on how many days you drive a month over 100 or 150 air miles. You will need operating authority, DOT numbers, $750,000 insurance, IFTA or other state fuel tax depending on your weight and the list goes on. You can save yourself a lot of money and administrative problems if you lease on to someone else's company. That way, they basically pay for everything and you fall under their authority but you are then at their beck and call. There are so many regulations, it's tough to list them all.
 
  #14  
Old 06-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Edkajo
Edkajo is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,382
Edkajo has a great reputation on FTE.Edkajo has a great reputation on FTE.Edkajo has a great reputation on FTE.Edkajo has a great reputation on FTE.Edkajo has a great reputation on FTE.
Not sure if it's even possible to get a CDL for a pickup and a 18' trailer either. There doesn't seem to be a CDL requirement for any combination under 26k lbs/10k on a trailer.... in my state anyway. BUT...small, light hauling for payment should be run by your tax man and the insurance company at the very least. Your insurance agent should know what you would need to do in your state to be legal on the road with something as small/light as a p/up and a 18 footer and your accountant would know what you need to keep record track of for uncle sam. With anything under the table, you're running a risk on several levels, CDL requirement or not .
 
  #15  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:39 PM
cob1181
cob1181 is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 85
cob1181 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your truck would be a commercial vehicle if you are using it for commerce/ compensation and the GVWR of the truck or GVWR of the truck and trailer is over 10,000 lbs in interstate commerce or over 17,000 lbs in intrastate commerce. You dont need to have a CDL for you to be in a commercial vehicle based on the GVWR or GCWR. A lot of people get CDL and commercial vehicle mixed up.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.