Sponsored by: DP Tuner

trans. rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
trans. rebuild kit

Well the trans in my truck is gone and Mark confirmed that for me. Now Im on the hunt for a master rebuild lit for my truck. I know most of you are thinking get a BTS or JW trans, Im looking into it but the prices and my budget are far apart. I know later down the road its probably going to go out again and then hopefully Ill be able to step up and get a BTS but for now its not in the cards... at all.

I dont want to cheap out and buy cheap parts, I want good parts at a good price. Ive never been inside of a trans before but Ive got friends who have that are willing to help. Does a master rebuild kit include EVERYTHING I will need? What should I replace to insure it doesnt happen again anytime soon. Ive read that when rebuilding a trans that you/I should always replace the TQ, true or not? Links pics advice bring them all on

Im hunting in the dark here so any and all help is needed . Im laid off right now and have been for months and I need my truck when I get the call to go back.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:59 AM
corpuspits
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rebuilt mine 4r100 the overdrive went out ..had to buy another sprag for it ,,new clutches and torq converter. I rebuilt it for about 450. all home made tools are a must or its going to cost you alot of money. This was my first tranny rebuild

Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by corpuspits
...rebuilt mine...had to buy another sprag for it ,,new clutches and torq converter...about 450...my first tranny rebuild...
Good man. When did you rebuild it? Where did you get the instructions?

Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
A master rebuild kit will contain everything you need unless hard parts are broken. You won't know that until you take it apart. I have used Transtar several times with good results. Transmission Parts - Transtar Industries Inc..

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is a heavy duty rebuild kit 4R100 Rebuild Kit Super Heavy Duty 1998 & Up 4 Wheel Drive Regular And Super Duty (Gas & Diesel) :: 4R100 ---- E4OD4R100.COM :: Ford Rebuild Kits :: Pro-Built Automatics that contains a thorough selection of parts. It's not just a "paper & rubber gasket kit and clutches". It contains a Tugger VB kit, TransGo TC "on-off" lock up valve, new sprags, bushings, thrust washers, and Torrington bearings. Other than torque converter, any damaged hard parts, or "mechancial diode" upgrade to early direct drum, you'd have pretty much all you'd need. There are a few other upgrades you can do. But like anything else, "it's gonna cost ya extra". PM me, if you have any questions. There are other kits with good quality clutches that are less expensive, but don't contain the same number of parts. It all depends on what you want to do and your spending limits.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 05-30-2012, 01:14 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
I think Im going to go with the one Roland posted and keep my fingers crossed, I like the idea of the tuger kit and the price looks good for my budget.
Mark from what Ive described to you what are the chances that I may have hard parts that are bad?
How can I tell if I have the mechanical diote or not?
Should I get a new TQ too?
I called a shop not too far from me and they quoted me 595 to rebuild it if I pull it

Old 05-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
$595.oo to rebuild it will mean it will be done in a year I'd guess. Sorry, I just don't trust that kind of shop. Rolands kit seems cmplete. If you can do it, I'd give it a try. Myself I've never done a auto trans so would be leary. Lot of sticks in the sixies, and gas motors, auto would be new to me.

Chet

Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Trans work is going to be new to me all together. A year is about what I figure too, but like you said youd be leary too and I am. If it were the engine Id be all over it. Im at the point I need it to work NOW

Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Mark from what Ive described to you what are the chances that I may have hard parts that are bad?
It MIGHT be the forward clutch seals, or it could be the low one way clutch. You'll have to tear it down to find out.
How can I tell if I have the mechanical diote or not?
You'll need a picture to be able to tell if you have a mechanical diode or not. I wish I had one to show you, but I don't.
Should I get a new TQ too?
YES!

Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
You'll need a picture to be able to tell if you have a mechanical diode or not. I wish I had one to show you, but I don't.
Here is a picture of a failed mechanical diode in this thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...cal-diode.html Also, the direct drum will have splines on it like the second picture. Both parts, along with a thrust washer, have to be upgraded to get rid of it.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM
corpuspits
Junior User
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM
corpuspits
Junior User
I also bought the rebuild manual $30. so I could have the specs..I bought a kit but dont remember which one it was but i got bearings clutches gaskets filter. Also bought a torque converter. this was my first one to do so didnt want to send alot of money.works great..take lots of pics and take your time ...I thought it was easy.finding the hard parts where the hardest thing about the rebuild...I pulled the tranny off with a floor jack and put it back in by myself . Made a home made stand to go on my jack this tranny is HEAVY.....If i can help in any way just pm me ...glad to help u out.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well John I am in the same boat as you as far as NO job and needing rebuild my trans myself due to cash flow. In my case the the Over Drive return spring retainer came off. It chewed up the OD/IM cylinder . I am also going to do a center support upgrade. Not the top of the line up grade but an improvement over stock. And if you are going in it I would consider it.
Transmission parts & Transmission kits

Now I wish I had the $$ to buy the kit Roland posted but I have only $500 and that is including hard parts. So I am going with a BorgWarner Clutchs and steels FORD 4R100 '98+ TRANS SUPER REBUILD KIT W/ BORG-WARNER FRICTIONS, STEELS & BAND | eBay
Also I am replacing all thrust washers and bearings and a Sonnax Sure Cure from E4OD 4R100 Transmission Parts E4OD 4R100 Transmission Kit
And I am also going to replace or have t.c. rebuilt. I would not reuse old t.c.
Just my 2 cents. And if I had a job and a line of credit I would be going with a BTS or JW but I do have faith I will be able to get it done with the help of the brotherhood.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
jerem0621
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Well John I am in the same boat as you as far as NO job and needing rebuild my trans myself due to cash flow. In my case the the Over Drive return spring retainer came off. It chewed up the OD/IM cylinder . I am also going to do a center support upgrade. Not the top of the line up grade but an improvement over stock. And if you are going in it I would consider it.
Transmission parts & Transmission kits

Now I wish I had the $$ to buy the kit Roland posted but I have only $500 and that is including hard parts. So I am going with a BorgWarner Clutchs and steels FORD 4R100 '98+ TRANS SUPER REBUILD KIT W/ BORG-WARNER FRICTIONS, STEELS & BAND | eBay
Also I am replacing all thrust washers and bearings and a Sonnax Sure Cure from E4OD 4R100 Transmission Parts E4OD 4R100 Transmission Kit
And I am also going to replace or have t.c. rebuilt. I would not reuse old t.c.
Just my 2 cents. And if I had a job and a line of credit I would be going with a BTS or JW but I do have faith I will be able to get it done with the help of the brotherhood.
BadDogKuzz,

How did the rebuild go?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Quick Reply: trans. rebuild kit