6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Overhead Console Compass Reading Wrong Direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Overhead Console Compass Reading Wrong Direction

I have an 04 F-250. The overhead console compass started reading the wrong direction. I went to Ford and they told me to hold the two buttons and drive around in circles to reset. Well that worked for a little while. It is back to reading wrong again. Any ideas on how I can fix the problem for good?

Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compass Zone Adjustment
Compass Calibration Zones

The zone setting is factory set to Zone 8. Check the Compass Calibration Zone map to verify the correct compass zone setting for your geographic location.
Gently press both buttons for three to four seconds until ZONE is displayed.
Release the switches. Zone and the current zone setting will be displayed.
Press either switch to cycle through all possible zone settings. Stop cycling when the correct zone setting for your location is displayed.
Release the switch to exit the zone setting mode. After five seconds of no button activity, the module will store the current zone and leave the mode

Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
East cost of FL you are zone 9. West FL you are zone 8

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Compass Calibration
For optimum calibration, turn off all non-essential electrical accessories (rear window defrost, heater/air conditioning, map lamps, wipers, etc.) and make sure all doors are shut.
Drive to an open, level area away from large metallic objects or structures and high voltage lines.
Press both buttons for six to eight seconds until CAL is displayed.
Release both buttons and drive slowly in a circle until CAL disappears from the display (about two to three circles).
The compass is now calibrated.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Vehicle Demagnetizing
CAUTION: During demagnetizing, the demagnetizer coil will be pulled toward the vehicle. Place a cloth over the vehicle's roof to protect the vehicle's surface if contact occurs. Make sure the cloth covers the front third and the entire width of the roof.

NOTE: The demagnetizing process requires the use of a demagnetizing coil commonly used by television service technicians to demagnetize television tubes.

NOTE: To demagnetize, use a constant circular motion over the vehicle's roof. Do not turn off the demagnetizer while sweeping the vehicle's roof to prevent remagnetizing ferrous materials contained in the vehicle.

NOTE: During the demagnetizing process, make sure the phenolic surface of the tool (the side opposite the handle) is closest to the vehicle's surface.

Demagnetize the front third of the vehicle's roof.
Turn on the demagnetizer at least 1 meter (3 ft) away from the vehicle.
Holding the demagnetizer no more than 2.5 cm (1 in) from the roof and starting on the passenger side, demagnetize the front third of the roof closest to the windshield using a constant circular motion. Keep the circle's radius within 30 cm (12 in) while sweeping across the entire surface of the roof closest to the windshield. Continue the circular motion four times.
After the fourth pass and without stopping, move the demagnetizer at least 1 meter (3 ft) away from the vehicle.
Turn the demagnetizer off.
NOTE: The demagnetizer must be located over the outside of the windshield no greater than 2.5 cm (1 in).

Demagnetize the inside rear view mirror mounting pad.
Turn on the demagnetizer at least 1 meter (3 ft) away from the vehicle.
Using a circular motion, pass the demagnetizer over the outside of the windshield near the inside rear view mirror mounting pad. Without stopping, move the demagnetizer at least 1 meter (3 ft) away from the vehicle.
Turn the demagnetizer off.
Perform the Compass Zone Adjustment procedure; refer to Compass Zone Adjustment .
Perform the Calibration Adjustment procedure; refer to Compass Calibration .

Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Thats ok!! Because in your home you may have something already that will perform the same task. You see the mask on your CRT can become magnetized, be it by shifting it's position in relation to the earths magnetic poles (moving the game) or even someone previously replacing speakers near the monitor with unshielded magnets. Whatever the reason the results are generally ugly and if you can't wait for the built in degaussing coil to do the work, you may have another way out without having to spend any money.

You see all you need to do to demagnetize something is expose it to a fluctuating current field. In a degaussing coil this is accomplished by pumping current through a coil fluctuating at 60 cycles per second (60Hz) which comes from your standard American wall outlet.

Now how can we expose your magnetized CRT mask to a fluctuating magnetic field without the degaussing coil?

How many of you own a power drill that runs on AC? Simply plug in the drill, remove any bits!, turn the drill on full blast and hold it sideways very close to the face of the CRT. Now wave it around in circles as you would a hand held degaussing coil. Around and around it goes moving it farther from the face of the CRT in a circular motion as you go and when you get about 5 feet away, release the trigger. The fluctuating current in the AC motor provides the effect.

For a non-moving part experience, how many of you own a soldering gun? It should be a trigger style gun type iron true to form. Use it the same way as the drill, but watch the hot tip! The transformer in the iron provides the effect.

I have not verified any others to work, For example I have not tried a cordless drill and cannot verify the power yield to be great enough. Maybe you can experiment? Post back with your results for others!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Do you have a XM or GPS antenna? If it is stuck to close to the OTC it will mess up the compass

Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
A5 CHECK FOR CORRECT OTC MODULE OPERATION
Check:
for corrosion
for pushed-out pins
connector seated correctly
Connect any disconnected connectors.
Make sure all other system connectors are fully seated.
Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.
Is the concern still present?
Yes
INSTALL a new OTC module. If Excursion, REFER to Message Center—Excursion in this section. If F-Super Duty, REFER to Message Center—F-Super Duty in this section. TEST the system for normal operation. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the OTC self-test.

No
The system is operating correctly at this time. Concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the OTC self-test.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Thank you. I will let you know the outcome. I appreciate your time.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Not a problem, Glad to help.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
Thank you. I will let you know the outcome. I appreciate your time.
Hmm... I just tried the drive in circles... didn't show a direction, still shows "Cal" with nothing for direction in the box on the display.

What did you end up doing, and did it work?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Obviously your driving in the wrong direction!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Obviously your driving in the wrong direction!
I did standard circles.... not metric.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:26 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
I did standard circles.... not metric.
CW or CCW?

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Compass Reading Wrong Direction