6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

BP Bio Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 AM
jack_pine
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BP Bio Diesel

Brand new BP station opened by work and they have bio. First time I have seen it in northern Il. Said could be between 5 and 20% bio.

What I found interesting is that there was a a sign that said "this is not a BP branded product and BP does not warrant the quality". That seems ridiculous to me. If they sell it at one of their pumps they should have to stand behind it like any of their other products. Sure some lawyer knows better than me though..........

Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
Not surprising. Isnt bio required in IL?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
whiteywhip
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BP does not warrant the quality".

i dont think i would use it then to be on the safe side

Old 05-25-2012, 08:39 AM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by whiteywhip
BP does not warrant the quality".

i dont think i would use it then to be on the safe side
That's what I was thinking. I use BP almost exclusively. Based on posts about bio here I have always looked and this is the first Bio I have seen.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:47 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,018 Likes on 2,201 Posts
I use BP exclusively in all my vehicles. One of my Den leaders is the owner/operator of the station closest to us. It's a loyalty to him kind of thing, not BP. However, I do like having one and only one fuel supplier to go back to if there is ever a question. He doesn't carry bio, but I just called him and asked him about it. He said it was not something he planned to carry until the refining standards and quality control catches up. I tried to press him on it further and he would bite. He laughed a little and said don't run that cheap fuel in that nice truck. He then called me some bad names...really bad names. That's kind of normal though.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 AM
jack_pine
Elder User

Thanks. That's what I love about this place. Someone always has an inside source. As you mentioned it was cheaper as well. So it must be a dealer choice then. I too run only BP when I can (like 95%).

Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM
whitewhale
Senior User
Most stations that I fill up at have the 5-20% bio label somewhere on the pump. Have never been afraid of it. All the BP's in my area have this label. Run it in semi's and pickup's and never had any issues.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The few Guys that have had HPFP issues seemed like they all lived in Illinois and used BIO diesel. I could be wrong though. Me, I will stick with good 'ol diesel.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Straight #2 for me.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 PM
bigtwinharley
Junior User
What is #2 diesel I was going down the road today and seen someplaces had that on their signs

Old 05-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
As far as I know #2 diesel is ULSD, thats Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM
rlm328
Freshman User
Hard not to get a bio mix most places. Where I live it is a gov't mandate.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
All diesel now days is ULSD. ULSD has nothing to do with #1 or #2

#1 diesel is thinner, Won't gell as fast and has less BTUs, so lower fuel mileage.

#2 diesel is the default standard for most diesel operations. But will gel when the weather gets cold. So stations offer both, mostly in the winter months. I'm seeing lots of station that for the summer have places #2 stickers over their #1 pumps. So they can better utilize the pumps. They will switch back come winter.

Bio is pretty hard to find around here in Utah. But I did notice that Flying J has added the May contain 5-20% labels to their pumps this past week. What little Bio I have run has not caused me any problems

Bio has fewer BTU's per gallon, So mileage will not be quite as good as straight #2, But bio has better lubricating qualities. So you may not need to add a lubricating additive (like PM22) when running Bio. They have always cautioned long time straight diesel users who convert to a bio blend to check their fuel filters,. Apparently Bio is a better cleaner and may remove old deposit in the fuel system that could plug your fuel filter.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:40 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Cargo
The few Guys that have had HPFP issues seemed like they all lived in Illinois and used BIO diesel. I could be wrong though. Me, I will stick with good 'ol diesel.
I think your wrong, I have been running Bio for years and have never had an issue.......do your homework before you want to bash something you don't have a clue about......B-2 (2% Biodiesel) has more Lubrication than you will ever need for that HPFP!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:08 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slowmans
I think your wrong, I have been running Bio for years and have never had an issue.......do your homework before you want to bash something you don't have a clue about......B-2 (2% Biodiesel) has more Lubrication than you will ever need for that HPFP!

He's actually right so quit ripping him. On several forums an abundance of those failures are from IL. NOT ALL, but a good portion. But way to rip him.

Quick Reply: BP Bio Diesel