Sponsored by: Moser

Intercooler protection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler protection?

Just picked up a 2011 F150 Lariat 4X4 Eco-Boost.

Am a little concerned that the opening in the bumper (lower grille if you will) has nothing there to stop bugs and more importantly any rocks or flying debris.

Two schools of thought on my part.
1. Put in a screen or maybe billett lower grill to protect intercooler.
2. Dont do above so as not to create turbulence and affect cooling in intercooler.

What have you folks done and what are your thoughts on this?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Doug2002SS
New User
I had the same concern. I travel a lot on lease roads in northern Alberta that are not in great condition. I added a nice looking Billet grille (black) for protection (looks great as well). Anyway at around 7500km my truck hesitated on the highway and the check engine light was flashing. I took the truck into the Ford dealer. Turns out the Billet Grille was not the cause (faulty solenoid). When I went to pick up the truck the service advisor said I am risking voiding my warranty by having the Billet Grille installed.

Moving forward I am going to keep the Billet Grille installed for protection and remove it when it is heading to Ford for any work.

I can't say I agree with Ford voiding a warranty over this but I am not willing to risk it.

I have a bunch of buddies with the EB engine and the Billet Grille and none of us have had any issues related to grille.

DG

Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks.

I read on another forum a similar comment that also said "Its in the Manual" BUT, I do not find anything in the owners manual about it.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My daily driver supercharged mustang has no intercooler protection and it lays a lot closer to the road and I have had 0 issues. A few dents in the fins but that is to be expected.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDfromTN
Just picked up a 2011 F150 Lariat 4X4 Eco-Boost.

Am a little concerned that the opening in the bumper (lower grille if you will) has nothing there to stop bugs and more importantly any rocks or flying debris.

Two schools of thought on my part.
1. Put in a screen or maybe billett lower grill to protect intercooler.
2. Dont do above so as not to create turbulence and affect cooling in intercooler.

What have you folks done and what are your thoughts on this?
Honestly the concern of bugs can be addressed with a spray bottle of peroxide/water and a hose to wash them off. The peroxide attacks the bugs and loosens them up. There has been talk about a grille changing how the air is introduced which could possibly cause mapping problems.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
There is one fact for sure: a billet grille in front of the intercooler will restrict the air flow, and therefore the cooling.
But I don't believe that the restriction will be great enough to cause any issues for *most* people. I do think though that if you tow, tow over mountains, and/or tow in hot climates, the air flow reduction may be enough to really cause issues.

Besides that, I think the intercooler costs around $250 on Tasca parts - so even if it was ever needed (I truly doubt that), replacing it will not cost all that much, especially when comparing with a $100billet grille (factoring in the odds).

Now add in the risk of losing your warranty coverage on a many thousand $$$ repair, I will leave the gap open.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

My intercooler grill attaches with 4 screws and can be removed in less then 5 minutes. I wouldn't worry about warrenty issues.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by King Ranch
My intercooler grill attaches with 4 screws and can be removed in less then 5 minutes. I wouldn't worry about warrenty issues.
No marks left? (just wondering)

Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

No marks or holes to drill.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
wolf189
Senior User

No marks or holes to drill.
okay, now I'm wondering... what does it screw into if there are no marks or holes to drill?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM
ilmo
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed this over a year ago.
No holes to drill.

Hardware includes grill, brackets and backing strap, u-clips for the screws that insert into holes of the brackets and backing strap, 4 machine screws

Another view of hardware:

Picture of the bracket mounted and screwed into the back strap through the big hole of the truck bracket:

I know that my pics are not the best, but maybe it will give you an idea. The grill and hardware came with instructions and is very easy to install. Only thing I did was to snug up the screws to keep brackets from moving and to get everything lined up. Then I tightened all screws up.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by ilmo
I installed this over a year ago.
No holes to drill.

Hardware includes grill, brackets and backing strap, u-clips for the screws that insert into holes of the brackets and backing strap, 4 machine screws

Another view of hardware:

Picture of the bracket mounted and screwed into the back strap through the big hole of the truck bracket:

I know that my pics are not the best, but maybe it will give you an idea. The grill and hardware came with instructions and is very easy to install. Only thing I did was to snug up the screws to keep brackets from moving and to get everything lined up. Then I tightened all screws up.
yes this is the same one I installed on mine

Old 05-25-2012, 07:04 AM
wolf189
Senior User

yes this is the same one I installed on mine
ahhhhh... looks like a nice setup. thanks for the clarification!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

Comes in black or chrome

Old 05-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Southpaw666
Freshman User
I love the billet grille on mine as well, the open space makes it look unfinished, the grille makes it look "complete". I had my local dealership ask me where to get em, I doubt it could pose much/any warranty issue, I'd bet maybe 15% of the airflow is restricted by the fins at best.

Quick Reply: Intercooler protection?