6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

how long do you plan on keeping your 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long do you plan on keeping your 6.0

well I know I've posted a hundred threads on this topic but as May approaches I will finally finish school and have a truck so bear with me lol. I had my mind set on a 6.0 but a friend of a friend has a 6.4 for sale and is willing to give me a great price on it and my friend has vouched that it was taken care of. I'm tempted to take the offer simply because the 6.4 is newer, has a nicer interior, etc. However I don't want to deal with all the DPF crap and theres no way I'm removing it and voiding the warranty. So that brings me back to a 6.0 where I am concerned they will soon be too old. I'm afraid that they will slowly start to phase out by the time I'm ready to get rid of it a couple years from now. (For example, a 7.3 in good condition is still worth $20+ grand but not many people are willing to pay that for a truck that old). I just dont want to spend close to 30 grand on a truck that I'm going to take a huge loss on down the road when I can get this 6.4 for 33 and it would still sell for that in a couple years being that its worth 38 right now. As you can tell I'm probably overthinking this a little but just want some opinions. I dont mean to bash anyone who has a 6.0 they are not old yet I'm just saying in 3 or 4 years they will be 10 years old. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ian123
(For example, a 7.3 in good condition is still worth $20+ grand but not many people are willing to pay that for a truck that old). I just dont want to spend close to 30 grand on a truck that I'm going to take a huge loss on down the road when I can get this 6.4 for 33 and it would still sell for that in a couple years being that its worth 38 right now.
Where did you get these price estimates? In my part of the country you can get a very nice 6.0L for much less than 30K.

There are several people on FTE who have posted mileages of 250K + miles.

I'm not a frequent vehicle trader so I plan to drive my truck for many years and miles to come. I currently have 70K and plan to go to 200K+ unless something changes my mind. That being said, the continued exponential price increase of diesel fuel may change my mind.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I think you are over thinking this. You are going to lose money on a vehicle, best to just face up to it. They are motor vehicles, not investment vehicles. Get what you can afford today without busting your budget.

Personally, I am not one who hopes to get 200k or 300k out of this truck. I get tired of them and lust after the latest and greatest. I'm thinking about 3 more years of reliable service and I will be looking for something new. Reliability is key to me. I don't want something that I cannot trust for a cross country trip, and I don't want something that I have to constantly work on.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
I got the price estimates from looking around on craigslist and local dealerships over the past year (more actively in the past couple months). I have noticed that diesels go for higher prices in my area than in other states, not sure why but I'll tell you I see at least 3 or 4 superdutys just on a drive to walmart which is 2 miles from my house. They are everywhere which you would think would drive down the price

Thanks for the replies so far

Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian123
They are everywhere which you would think would drive down the price

More demand means price goes up. Now if you saw a lot of trucks on the lots that should drive down price, but if there are a lot on the road that means demand is good.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long to keep it ?
I guess it depends on how the vehicle treats YOU.....
which is in direct correlation to how YOU treat the vehicle !!!!

A good running truck is not something I want to get rid of... in fact, I STILL love the 05 Ex even though it's getting long in the tooth -
in the 130k mile range - and even though in perfect shape is starting to look old when parked next to the new vehicles !

Heck, it out carries, out pulls, out runs most on the road, and still gets what I consider excellent mpg.....

come to think of it- I may just give it a new color scheme just to make it new to me

Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
I have 215k on my 2003 and would hope to get about 500k from it. That's more of a financial decision than anything else. I too would love to get something newer, but it isn't in the plan. I use my truck for my livelihood, although I love it, it is still a work truck and I need it to run.

I only have real world experience with the 6.0, nothing with the 6.4. From what I've read I wouldn't buy a 6.4 at all. Read up on this and form your own opinion.

I'm always dreaming of a nicer truck even though I'll be keeping this one, so I'm on autotrader a lot just window shopping. If you're happy with a 6.0 then you shouldn't be needing to spend more than $20k right now. If you're looking at 6.4 then maybe that's why the price is over $33k.

This is only my thinking ... your mileage may vary ... look for a late model 6.0L ('06 or '07) that has high mileage. It is absolutely possible to find something like that with a decent interior. With the high mileage you'll get a better price. You are buying a used truck so expect some work to be inevitable. A lower cost truck can help with the repairs, as against one where you've maxxed out your finances on the purchase and have nothing left for repairs, which can be pricey on any full size pickup with a diesel engine.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Well I'm not sure what you consider high mileage but I've been only looking at stuff under 100k miles because I figured that would keep the bank willing to give me a long enough term to keep my payments low. The 6.4 I'm looking at is an 08 with 88,000 miles CCLB lariat fully loaded for $33k and it is the only 6.4 I will consider buying (because I'm getting such a good price). Any other comparable 6.4 in my area goes for closer to 40 grand. As for 6.0s theres plenty but the one I specifically have my eye on is an 06 king ranch with 87,000 going for $28,500. Personally I dont think I would pay more than 27 for it

Old 04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
A true friend would NEVER sale a friend a 6.4!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Well I guess some bias is to be expected since this is the 6.0 forum lol

Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
i think i would travel to another state to buy one if your state is higher. i paid 22k for my King Ranch LB CC Dually with a gooseneck ball, headache rack, and grill guard and it only had 76k on it

Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
I have 112K on my '03 and plan on keeping it until it dies. I paid about 28K for it back in the fall of '06 when it had 62K miles on it. My truck before this one was a '87 F-150 with the 300 ci straight six and I had around 175K miles on it and kept it just shy of 20 years. It was starting to have some issues but the biggest reason I got rid of it was that my knees are shot and I couldn't hold the clutch without a lot of pain any more...

With proper care any truck should last about as long as that one, and once it's paid for you can bank the payments towards a new truck if so inclined. That way you could go out and pay cash for the new one and start saving up again...

Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I look at it this way. I got my 2005 6.0 Crew cab lariat for $8500 with 200k on it. It's in great shape cosmetically, and I've put about $1500 into it making it reliable and the way I want it (exhaust, tuner, egr delete, herculined bed, tool box, misc repair parts including used turbo). It is reliable enough I've driven it on a few road trips of around 1000 miles and drive it daily to work. I've done all the work myself which saved a ton of money (FICM re solder, changed the turbo to a low mileage used unit, bedliner, exhaust ext...).

After all my hard work, learning experience and 10K investment I've got a great reliable truck that would be hard to replace for the money I've got into it. I expect the 6.0 to keep going another 200k as it doesn't use any oil and still has tons of power.

On the off chance the motor does let go in the future 200k, as long as the body isn't rusted out I plan on finding a 5.9 Cummins to rebuild and swap in...

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

I'am with Dcat i will keep my truck till it or me is done. I've had it sense it was new and have 40,000 in it so i want my moneys worth it still looks new ,pulls anything and will out run most anything and parked beside new stuff doesn't look dated.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like stated, it's a motor vehicle your going to lose money on it.

The money you put into it, like extras, or whatever is money I believe I'll never see again, because people don't seem to care what's done to it, it seems a lot of them like to build it up theirselves.

I'm on craigslist alot and eBay and I buy and sell many things, cars, boats, atvs, dirtbikes. Usuall things that don't run and I fix them. That's about the only time I can make profit off of something.

But also, i get bored of looking at the same thing for a while, so I usually sell and take a hit unless I find someone who's looking to pay for my asking price.

I paid 12k for my 06.

After putting all the motor work into it, new tires, etc so fa the best offer I got was 10kcash. I just put it on craigslist to test the waters

Also dont be afraid to travel to look at a truck, I once drove 6 hours to look at a truck that he said was a gem, ha, let's just say it was not.

It's really about the seller and how realistic he or she is, everybody puts a value on their stuff.

Quick Reply: how long do you plan on keeping your 6.0