Sponsored by:

headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlight restoration

Anyone use that wax like stuff on their headlights to get rid of the hazy foggy uv damage on their bronco? Does it work? What kind is good? Is it worth gettin?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I was almost thinkin takin them off and cleaning them with laquer (sp?) thinner to see if that would clean it up

Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dulled acrylic doesn't do well being polished again for very long no matter what method you use. The results will vary depending on the product. Be careful using anything like a thinner simply because plastics are susceptible to softening and further discoloration when exposed to petroleum-based products. Always test in an inconspicuous area before just covering the entire surface with any product.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Big_Rob
Senior User
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
Anyone use that wax like stuff on their headlights to get rid of the hazy foggy uv damage on their bronco? Does it work? What kind is good? Is it worth gettin?
You can buy new headlights for 30 bucks on eBay.... I just used McGuiars polish... $20 worked fine.

Before

After

Old 05-16-2012, 08:59 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
lol....your before and after looks like one of those adds on TV.....not the same light...lol. Just jerking your chain though.

Mine were so bad that those kits would not touch them. I ended up with a new set from Rock Auto I believe.....real happy with them.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
*hint hint* buy a glass set I don't know if they ell them for your guys bronco years but they should make some...

Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Its threads like this that make me miss sealed-beam headlamps. The PAR 46, PAR 56 and rectangular sealed-beams were so simple to change, no gaskets or seals between socket and reflector to leak, no plastic lenses to fade, spider-web or crack, and no contrived adjustment mechanisms. But car makers could jack prices and get us to buy $300.00+ replacement "assemblies" when something went wrong or got old and ugly so away they went.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Its threads like this that make me miss sealed-beam headlamps. The PAR 46, PAR 56 and rectangular sealed-beams were so simple to change, no gaskets or seals between socket and reflector to leak, no plastic lenses to fade, spider-web or crack, and no contrived adjustment mechanisms. But car makers could jack prices and get us to buy $300.00+ replacement "assemblies" when something went wrong or got old and ugly so away they went.
That is why i like my sealed beams I got a pair of show headlights that are clear plastic in the front. They suck for night driving, due to the "reflective" portion being gloss black instead of a chrome type thing. I used them in my ranger for a while before i couldn't stand not being able to see at night. Even thought my 78 is kind of old technology, i find the headlights are actually really bright at night. My Bezels are a bit messed up though so i can only adjust them so much but i got them mostly on the road.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Looks like I got water behind my lens.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
Looks like I got water behind my lens.
Doesn't that mean the seal around the lens to the housing is shot and no longer sealed properly?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:46 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
True.
Might as well get some new ones....with some of them brighter headlights..

Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
From what i can see from Ebay, they aren't cheap..

Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Pat Kolb
Junior User
i used a kit on mine it did help as they were really yellow. I had to take them out of the truck so i could clean out the insides as best as i could. They are not like new but have more light than before. I will replace them with new when i have an extra 300 bucks

Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Doesn't that mean the seal around the lens to the housing is shot and no longer sealed properly?
Either that or the gasket between the lamp socket and the reflector is failing. If the headlight assembly accumulates moisture inside but it evaporates then its most likely the seal between the lens and the reflector. If the condensation stays in the assembly and accumulates to the point of sloshing around, its more likely the gasket at the socket. The reason being that the seal between the lens and reflector leaking will let the cool damp air in at night but the condensation will the either drip out or enough air will circulate through to let it evaporate. If the condensation just keeps adding water to the assembly, its usually because the gasket leaks air when the headlamps are off and the assembly is cold but then reseals when the air warms up or the lamps are on thus leaving the moisture trapped inside the assembly nowhere to go.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Oh that makes sense. I do have a simple question for you though, If you had a sealed beam headlight and a hole got punched in the glass would it still work or is it similar to a lightbulb in a house?

Quick Reply: headlight restoration