6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

My conversation with the parts dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
MurderMode
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My conversation with the parts dealer!

So I decided my aftermarket oil filter and cap were bugging me enough to switch to OEM. I run down to the local Oreillys and tell them what I am looking for. The guy behind the counter tells me "Yeah we have it.". I asked him if it was the one with the filter already in it made by Wix. He answers with "Why yes it is!" I then tell him I don't want that one, I want the OEM cap with the separate Motorcraft filter. He says to me "But this is the one we sell to everyone, even the Ford dealerships." I tell him I don't care it's not what I want, I even explain why I don't want it. He says to me "No, what you're talking about is the fuel system." I didn't know what to say so I just blankly stare at him, then I told him I have done my research and it is in fact the oil filter cap I am talking about. He then says "Hold on, I got something for you." He runs in the back and I can hear him talking to one of the other guys, not sure what was said. He comes back with "You're right, it is the oil system." I said I knew that, and I want the OEM cap and filter. Come to find out they don't carry it. I am not sure if it's an Oreilly store wide not carrying it, or just that store so I call a few others and get the same thing without the hassle of some retard who doesn't know what he's talking about. I then decide to call NAPA and see what happens there. I get the guy on the phone and he says they have it. I ask if it's the Wix filter and he replys with yes. I once again say I don't want it I want the OEM cap. He says this to me "You must have read online somewhere about that old wives tale that you should only use the OEM cap and filter, there's no merit to it.". I inform him that there was even a video put out by Ford with broadcast notices about the filter situation. He states "It's just a marketing ploy.". I tell him he doesn't know because he isn't a mechanic or Ford tech, just a parts guy. He hangs up. I then call the Ford dealership parts department and tell them what I am looking for. That guy tells me they use the Wix ones all the time on the 6.0. I ask him why if there was all the uproar about it. He told me that the new Wix filter fits correctly unlike the old filter of the same style. He said that the video was put out about the old filters and the new ones are good to go. I asked him why wouldn't they put out a notice that the new ones are fine then if they already told people they aren't. He says "I don't know, I'm not a marketing guy.". So that's how it all went down looking for this cap, and in the end I am going to get it for the low price of $27.00 and $24.00 for the filter.

Now it brings up the questions of are the Wix filters good? I haven't heard either way and I can't find anything on it. It seems like a regular replacement filter that works. I am going to OEM regardless, I am just asking so I can be informed.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Go to an international dealer. Every week atleast we see a 6.0 with no start issues and about every second one is because the longer filter with taller cap is replaced by the shorter filter which doesn't allow oil through to HPOP. No start condition for this reason is very common. Especially with new owner with old filters being replaced, they get the right filter but cap is too tall. Stick to your guns.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Wix, in my opinion, is a good company. I have used their products for years, but they missed the boat on the design of the 6.0 oil filter. Maybe there is a re-design that fits better. If they just fudged some dimensions and made another "also fit" it will not have the patent #'s on it. Why take a chance? The Motorcraft isn't expensive or hard to find.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Ok, right off the bat I'm going to apologize. I understand I'm coming into this debate a little on the late side but, I've been round and round on this site trying to find an answer with little luck.

When I bought my truck in Sept., it had the tall oil filter cap on it. I didn't know any better so in Oct. I decided to do an oil change. Bought 4 gal. of Rotella 5W-40 syn. and a Motorcraft filter. I pried the old filter out of the Carquest cap, installed it and added oil. Ran it all winter like that with no problems.

Fast forward to a month or so ago and I took the truck to the dealer for some repairs (not oil related). The machanic tells me I should use a Ford cap, not the Chevy one (his words, not mine) but with no explaination as to why.

Fast forward again to a couple weeks ago and I decide it's time for another oil change. I look up the Motorcraft cap and find it'd going to cost me close to $30.00 without the filter. Instead, I order a Wix filter and cap from Amazon for under $15.00. I buy anothe 4 gal. of Rotella 5W-40 syn. and do my oil chage.

I've been driving it like that for several days now (including a 2 hour trip form where I live out towards Boston) with no ill effects nor operability problems.

What am I missing? What is so bad about the aftermarket filters and caps? I get it that Ford has put out some sort of video, but it sounds like marketing B.S. to me.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:07 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Marketing BS? Have you seen the video? Look how poorly the copycat filters fit. Size matters.
Motorcraft Power Stroke Diesel Filter Comparison 2.0 - YouTube

Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by atomicglock
What am I missing? What is so bad about the aftermarket filters and caps? I get it that Ford has put out some sort of video, but it sounds like marketing B.S. to me.
The problem with mixing and matching caps and filters is that if the filter doesn't seal correctly and lets unfiltered oil into the HPO reservoir, eventually you'll tear the filter screen and either damage the pump or the IPR screen. It's not an overnight thing, it's just like changing fuel filters every 10k instead of every 15k, over time it builds up, and it runs fine right up until it doesn't anymore.

No one can guarantee that any aftermarket cap works with any filter except what it came with, so when guys buy used trucks and unknowingly throw a shorter Motorcraft filter into a taller cap, they're unintentionally screwing themselves by using a factory part that would have fit, right up until someone threw away the factory component and put in a non-conforming replacement. The truck will probably run normally for awhile, until it just doesn't start one morning.

There's probably no problem with matching a Wix cap and a Wix filter, but if the truck was spec'd for a certain cap and filter design, why would you put in a different cap to shoehorn in a filter that otherwise wouldn't fit? It's $30 for the correct cap to use the correctly spec'd filter with ensured fitment. When you figure that you could be tearing up a $200 valve, paying for the cap doesn't seem quite as bad anymore.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
For the oil filter cap, go to Ford dealer and buy it... they have a reduced price on them for people that have trucks that were installed with non-OEM caps by previous owners and other oil/lube shops.... or ask for fleet pricing.

For buying OEM oil filters, just buy them at Walmart... Motorcraft brand for $19.00 and your good to go and there is a Walmart in every town and you do not have to stock up or pay for shipping when buying on-line.

As far as fuel filters, I get mine from my local International Truck dealer across town and buy 3 or 4 at a time (due to the drive). They are 1/2 what the dealer charges. You only want an OEM/Racor made fuel filter (same company that makes the oil filters for International and Ford).

The key for the fuel filters is the white "Aqua-block" membrame on the outside of the large HFCM filter which is water seperation feature of the filter... this is what makes it "patented"!!!

WIX and other "will-fit" filters for the oil and fuel look the same, but are not OEM... regardless of their Marketing claims. BTW, a Framm oil filter is OEM and is made by Racor and repackaged in a Framm box... so that one is OK when at Walmart.

Racor designed the fuel and oil housings for International and Ford and only their filters will fit 100% and filter 100%... so it's your call what you use... but if you look on-line and know what to look for (fuel filters) you can get OEM for less money than what the dealers charge.

Noone ever said owning a diesel was cheap!!!

Good luck,

Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
pmoney1983
Senior User
Its does NOT matter if it is literally an OEM cap from ford. What matters is that the height is the same as an oem oil filter cap with the same threads!!!! I bought mine at O'Reillys. Took it to the ford dealership and it was the exact same size and threads. Just make sure you get the one that is shorter in height.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:02 PM
pmoney1983
Senior User
Do the reseach on this forum about the oil filter caps. You will find that every question you are asking has been asked and answered. It will save you time.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Sorry for the double post.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
atomicglock
Senior User
Ok guys, thanks. Honestly, this is the first I'd heard anything about it. I just figured the mechanic was blowing smoke up my you know where.

Jim - Thanks for the video. I'll check it out when I get home. Youtube is blocked here.

Texastech and others - I've already installed the Wix filter and cap in my truck. If you guys think thats not a good thing, I'll change it now. Otherwise I'll wait and do it this fall during my next scheduled oil change. One question though. Do I have to buy a new cap each time I replace the filter or is the Motorcraft one reusable? I'll go with whatever you recommend, since you seem to know a lot more about this that I do.

Beachbumcook - When I bought the oil filter, I also ordered a Wix brand air filter and fuel filters. You're saying these are no good? How about the air filter? Is that good to go?

Do me a favor? Check out Rock Auto. They list one made by Dorman that seems to be the short type for under $15.00. If you guys say that's the right one, I'll order it up today. Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
You are right about it being a marketing thing- just the angle is different. Raycor worked with International on the original design of the filter, patented it quickly and got contracts with International and Ford as the ONLY supplier for both companies. When the AfterMarket companies started manufacturing, the patent holder cried fowl and made them stop (you can read about this on-line, just google the patent numbers). The aftermarket responded by redesigning their filters instead of paying license fees. These re-designed filters simply don't fit correctly. And the issue comes up with right filter-wrong cap which causes even more problems. As mentioned above, Fram is the only AM company to simply pay the money and sell the filters, if you check their filters the patent #'s are stamped right on there just like the Racor.
It's an interesting twist that I avoided Fram filters for many years because I thought they sometimes "farmed out" manufacturing to other companies and I could never be sure what quality of filter was in the box (I did like the non skid paint though). Wix was always a favorite because of the reliable quality. I am someone who has cut open many used filters to see what's in there so these opinions are based on what I found. Now, in this application at least, the Wix is a no-go and the Fram gets a thumbs up.
It's possible all the AM companies wil make a suitable filter in the future by paying the licensing fees or maybe the patents will expire? but right now the Racor/Motorcraft/International and the Fram with the proper cap is the only option.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 PM
MurderMode
Senior User
I am now back to OEM and it actually feels different. My idle RPM's are lower, it runs smoother, it's a little quieter and its quieter. As of now it seems like a good purchase.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 PM
MurderMode
Senior User
I mean it's a little quieter and secs smoother.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atomicglock
Ok guys, thanks. Honestly, this is the first I'd heard anything about it. I just figured the mechanic was blowing smoke up my you know where.

Jim - Thanks for the video. I'll check it out when I get home. Youtube is blocked here.

Texastech and others - I've already installed the Wix filter and cap in my truck. If you guys think thats not a good thing, I'll change it now.
I would change it now. To me that's sort of like asking if I should stop smoking now or maybe wait a bit, or if I should start wearing my seatbelt from now on or maybe just do one or two more trips without it.
Otherwise I'll wait and do it this fall during my next scheduled oil change. One question though. Do I have to buy a new cap each time I replace the filter or is the Motorcraft one reusable? The motorcraft cap is reusable. When you get a new oil filter it'll come with a new o-ring. Lube the o-ring with a little motor oil and slip it on the cap before tightening. I'll go with whatever you recommend, since you seem to know a lot more about this that I do.

Beachbumcook - When I bought the oil filter, I also ordered a Wix brand air filter and fuel filters. You're saying these are no good? How about the air filter? Is that good to go?
There's an International truck dealer in Springfield MA and they will have all the stuff you need to maintain this engine, usually for a lot less than a dealership will. However, if you purchase regularly from a dealership and develop a relationship with the parts dept you can find that you do quite well some times. Especially when you factor in their ability to share their computer screen with you as you search for parts, and shipping costs too.
Two quick examples spring to mind. I have gotten my brakes, calipers, pads etc for less than I could have shipped from Tousley Ford. I paid the same for my air filter as it was priced on dieselsitefilters.com and I didn't have to pay shipping.

Also, use google to find any other truck dealers in your area. Many times there are cummins dealers, or regular truck shops that carry all the stuff you want. I travel all over New England for work and I have a few saved in a folder on my GPS. I try to buy in my home state of NH when I can, at Liberty Truck in Manchester NH, as they are helpful and tax free .

Do me a favor? Check out Rock Auto. They list one made by Dorman that seems to be the short type for under $15.00. If it says its made by anyone other than Racor, or Motorcraft, or Ford, or perhaps International than search no further .. it is wrong. All the ones I just mentioned are actually made by Racor and then put in a different box for the respective company. If you guys say that's the right one, I'll order it up today. Thanks again.
There's one of the active members on here called BigKen that I believe works at the Ford dealership in Greenfield MA. Might be worth trying to do some networking too.

Quick Reply: My conversation with the parts dealer!