1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"

When my twin brother and I turned 16, our grandaddy gave us his 1965 F100. Long story short, I've been obsessed with that truck and classic trucks in general ever since. We grew up going to the local car shows with our dad and great uncle and always helped with the maintenance on the daily drivers, but never quite had the means to really build a "hot rod."

Time has gone by and we've been patient. My '65 has given me my fix over the years and I'll always love that truck. We've had a few projects in addition to the '65 over the years, but I have always dreamed of having a '56.

When I was in college, I drove by a yellow '56 on my way home everyday. I stopped in and offered to buy it on one occasion...apparently it had been in the family for a long time and it wasn't for sale. A few years ago I had cash in hand and a ride from my brother to go pick up a green '56...halfway there, the seller called and backed out of the deal. He just couldn't sell his dad's truck. Fair enough. (I watched it get listed multiple times after that...till if finally sold for a little less than I was offering.)

I realize that I'm not a fabricator and that I don't have all the time in the world to learn how to be a master mechanic. Those facts, along with the notion that there isn't a lot of spare money around, have kept me searching for the right truck to build for quite some time.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger.

I wanted as much of an original and unmolested truck as I could afford because I decided a long time ago that I want to get the right stance using down and forward springs and a drop axle. I didn't want someone's abandoned project with a "clip" on the frontend. I knew that body work was something I have no experience with, so I didn't want it to be rusted out. I wanted to build the truck that I want to build and not finish someone else's project. While it would have been nice to get a running project, that drives up the price, and I might have been waiting for 10 more years.

That's why I decided on this truck that has supposedly been sitting in a barn in East Tennessee for a few decades. It was something I could afford and can work on little by little. I have no delusions of finishing this build in the next year...or two years..or maybe 5 years.

I made the 240 mile round trip yesterday to pick it up (I drove up last week to check it out before I made an offer). It was a bit of a chore as the front passenger side wheel was locked up and the rear passenger tire was torn to shreds. Both driver's side tires had air and rolled free. Needless to say, it made for an uneven pull.

A mere $100 of gas later, we unloaded it at my buddy's place for a temporary stay in Knoxville.

My buddy said "this will probably be the furthest you'll ever drive it." I hope he's not right.

While most people think I sound crazy, it was a dream come true to even steer it around the yard as my buddy pulled it behind the land cruiser.

It will have a short stay here.

The reason I'm calling this build "A Family Affair" is because my brother is coming to pick it up and drag it to Nashville in the next couple weeks. He recently moved back to Nashville with his wife and son, just a few miles from my parents. Now that I'm graduating for the last time, I'm hoping to be in a position where I can devote some $$ to my dream with my brother and dad. They are excited to jump into this thing with me and my brother is even giving up half of his garage for now...

The truck isn't perfect, and maybe it never will be. But I'm excited to give it a shot and spend some time with my brother and dad. I look forward to help and encouragement here on FTE.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
A little more information

A few more pictures to get an idea of what we're working with.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 AM
South of BC
Elder User
I believe your dream will come true. First, you are young and have time. Second, you are involving your dad and brother, the good times and memories will be priceless. Be patient, like the truck has been. After all, it's waited a long time for you to come around!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Looks like a good solid base to start with. How did I miss that one?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by South of BC
I believe your dream will come true. First, you are young and have time. Second, you are involving your dad and brother, the good times and memories will be priceless. Be patient, like the truck has been. After all, it's waited a long time for you to come around!
Thanks for the encouragement! that's pretty much how I'm approaching this thing...with a plan and an unfortunate respect for the reality of taking on a project like this.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by raytasch
Probably because it was labeled weird on craigslist!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
I wanted to post a little more about the plan. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to take the cab off of the frame...just because I don't want this to turn into one more dismantled truck that never gets finished...

But again, I think I'm going to have to be patient and at least try to do it half way right, which will probably mean take it all down to the frame.

The plan for now is:

-decide on motor. Leaning towards a 302. I'm thinking of buying a 70's donor truck and using the front end for my '65 (to add discs). We'll grab the motor and transmission and whatever else we need and haul it away.

-auto trans with floor shifter

-suspension/frame:
-down and forward springs in front
-sid drop axle
-drop leaves in the back, move the hanger if necessary.
-sway bars
-not sure on the rear end. Probably 8.8 or 9 inch.
-power disc brakes (maybe rear drums, maybe not, depending on rear end)
-manual steering
-I'd like to keep the tank in the cab, but we'll see what the experts say
-stock front and rear bumpers

body/interior (we'll get to that later...but in my mind...)
-use all the stock emblems
-stock tailgate with chains
-Undecided on one piece side glass
-stock mirrors
-original style bench seat

Ok, enough of the dreaming....

Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic story! And great barn find too....wish my interior and doors looked that good on mine!

Congrats on the new project!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Thats my question to Ray!!! . I search CL almost everyday just out of curiousity to see what is in the state and I used to live in North Knoxville (Powell) so go figure. Looks like a good friend. Next weekend in Pigeon Forge is the place you ought to be. F100's, all to see, parts, and ideas, and stars to be. A play off of the Beverly HillBillies Theme song obviously.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tacson
Thats my question to Ray!!! . I search CL almost everyday just out of curiousity to see what is in the state and I used to live in North Knoxville (Powell) so go figure. Looks like a good friend. Next weekend in Pigeon Forge is the place you ought to be. F100's, all to see, parts, and ideas, and stars to be. A play off of the Beverly HillBillies Theme song obviously.
Haha! Oh I'll be there! I've been going for the last few years since I moved to Knoxville for law school. I'm actually gonna park my '65 in there so be on the lookout! My dad is coming out from Nashville too. Not sure if my brother's wife is gonna let him out of her sight...she's due with their second child in three weeks!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nighthawk756
Fantastic story! And great barn find too....wish my interior and doors looked that good on mine!

Congrats on the new project!
Thanks! I'm really excited. Just wishing I had about 5k to get started on everything! Patience...patience...

Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schuyles
Thanks! I'm really excited. Just wishing I had about 5k to get started on everything! Patience...patience...
Yeah, patience is a hard thing to come by when you have a new project that you want to get started on. I had to make myself be patient too....helps you make better decisions on which way to go also.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Congrat's nice truck to start with. When I go out the the grage for a smoke and beer, I sit in my chair and just stare at my truck, It scare's the heck out of my wife cause she think'd I'm planning to spend more money, lol.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Schuyles

The plan for now is:

-decide on motor. Leaning towards a 302. I'm thinking of buying a 70's donor truck and using the front end for my '65 (to add discs). We'll grab the motor and transmission and whatever else we need and haul it away.

-auto trans with floor shifter

-suspension/frame:
-down and forward springs in front
-sid drop axle
-drop leaves in the back, move the hanger if necessary.
-sway bars
-not sure on the rear end. Probably 8.8 or 9 inch.
-power disc brakes (maybe rear drums, maybe not, depending on rear end)
-manual steering
-I'd like to keep the tank in the cab, but we'll see what the experts say
-stock front and rear bumpers

body/interior (we'll get to that later...but in my mind...)
-use all the stock emblems
-stock tailgate with chains
-Undecided on one piece side glass
-stock mirrors
-original style bench seat

Ok, enough of the dreaming....
One thing to think of on that donor truck is the trans. If you get a FMX and want a floor shift your options are going to be severely limited. I am going though that right now.

On most front disk brake kits I have seen for the front axle look out for this. If you order the full size truck wheel pattern you get 12" (11.75") front disks, the smaller size wheel patterns are 11" disk brakes.

On the side glass I personally like the wing windows they make a huge difference with out AC as my 52 will never have AC.

If your bench seat springs are trash you can do like I did and put in a baseboard and cut seat foam out of a newer truck. I went with late 70's dodge for there real thick foam that is usually un-torn because the factory style seat cover has a cover, layer of foam then another cover, the back seat upper back cushion because it was the thickest I could find and had the right shape. Had to trim one edge of both down some.

I wanted mine simple like yours. I didn't pull the cab off, but everything else came off. Then I can do the rest of the stuff I want in stages.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ADOR
One thing to think of on that donor truck is the trans. If you get a FMX and want a floor shift your options are going to be severely limited. I am going though that right now.
Lokar carries them. Both case mount and tail shaft mount. Was/am shopping for one myself for the '53 Crestline I have.

Quick Reply: 1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"