1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Schuyles
... frankly I hate the FTE app ...
I don't like accessing the forum through the phone app either.
I can view a thread, but to reply or return back to the forum, is a pain and I just close out...
Then at the end of a thread it rolls you into the "next" thread, which is not necessarily in the same forum...

Old 01-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tacson
To get you out of the stagnation you could always sell the project to your neighbor south of Nashville.
But then who will you caravan to shows with?!...one day...

Old 01-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I don't like accessing the forum through the phone app either.
I can view a thread, but to reply or return back to the forum, is a pain and I just close out...
Then at the end of a thread it rolls you into the "next" thread, which is not necessarily in the same forum...
Ding ding ding! I don't know if anyone uses the H.A.M.B. app...but it is so good and spoils you so that the little frustrations of this one are hard to ignore! I use the "Garage Talk" app for this forum and maybe I just need to learn to use it better...

Old 01-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Olboy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your truck doesn’t look bad at all. The first engine I ever rebuilt was a 400 Ford, I was 15. You might consider getting a 400 crank, rods, and pistons for your engine. The 4” stroke will be quite a bit more torquey than the 351M.

With respect to kids, my boy only had 30 words when he was about 18 months old but 3 of them were Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini. By 4 he had watched me race at Daytona, Laguna Seca, The Ridge, Spokane, Calgary, and Edmonton. He even did a hot lap around Race City in his bucket car seat strapped into the race seat of my 911 when he was about 6 months old. At 5 I had him start Go-Kart Racing in a bambino kart at our local FIA track and at 7 he was the fastest in his run group in his cadet kart with a Briggs LO206. This year at 8, he moves up to Junior 1 and he is ready! My daughter will be 5 this year and she is chomping at the bit to start. The key is to involve them in your hobbies and let them pull wrenches too. Don’t be afraid to let them get dirty. Don’t make them just sweep the floor or get beer...

Old 02-13-2018, 07:15 AM
Sergdman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice build, joining for the ride. Keep at it.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Olboy
Your truck doesn’t look bad at all. The first engine I ever rebuilt was a 400 Ford, I was 15. You might consider getting a 400 crank, rods, and pistons for your engine. The 4” stroke will be quite a bit more torquey than the 351M.[left]

With respect to kids, my boy only had 30 words when he was about 18 months old but 3 of them were Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini. By 4 he had watched me race at Daytona, Laguna Seca, The Ridge, Spokane, Calgary, and Edmonton. He even did a hot lap around Race City in his bucket car seat strapped into the race seat of my 911 when he was about 6 months old. At 5 I had him start Go-Kart Racing in a bambino kart at our local FIA track and at 7 he was the fastest in his run group in his cadet kart with a Briggs LO206. This year at 8, he moves up to Junior 1 and he is ready! My daughter will be 5 this year and she is chomping at the bit to start. The key is to involve them in your hobbies and let them pull wrenches too. Don’t be afraid to let them get dirty. Don’t make them just sweep the floor or get beer...
That sounds really cool! Those are great tips. I ended up slapping the 400 in my truck so hopefully i can get it fired up soon.

Originally Posted by Sergdman
Nice build, joining for the ride. Keep at it.
Thanks! I'm in the "I have time, but no money" phase right now...so trying to do what I can .... but it seems like everything requires another $100 part!

Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
So I ended up buying a 400 motor that has already been built a little bit for $300. I decided to just put it in the truck and see if I can't get it going. Finally got it all mocked up and now just need to drill the holes for the mounts and bolt it in. It looks like all my planning will pay off as the shifter and radiator and headers and steering will all fit nicely. Pics aren't uploading via the app of course ...

Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Old 02-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Schuyles
Hahaha! Being a Dad of many kids, I can't help but notice the wet spot on the floor mat! LOL
Was the little guy so excited he piddled?? Cute pic!

Old 02-17-2018, 12:23 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Hahaha! Being a Dad of many kids, I can't help but notice the wet spot on the floor mat! LOL
Was the little guy so excited he piddled?? Cute pic!
Haha luckily NO! Actually, some rainwater got in and I'm not exactly sure where it came from. It's stressing me out! I've gotta get it back in my garage...

Old 03-31-2018, 04:11 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Finally got the motor in the truck. I stressed big time over the placement and engine angle and am happy to see the carb is almost perfectly level and I'm only 1/2" or so from the firewall. I got a new torque converter and we rebuilt the transmission...mated to this engine that has an unknown camshaft...so we'll see how it turns out...haha

Next up is wiring and plumbing. Once I'm done with that, and I get my driveshaft cut down, I might be able to yard drive!

I also got a mustang style gas tank from Tanks Inc. it's an efi tank, but I'm not going efi yet. It has baffles and I liked how it had the sender and pickup on top.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:14 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Some pics of the latest struggles and triumphs.

Attached Images    
Old 09-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Finally got the crossmember out and slid the tank in the frame. Trying to decide how to mount it now...but feels good to get a little closer.

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Fuel tank mostly mounted and lines run. Fired up the engine a week ago for the first time. Runs and sounds good!

Link to video.

Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
About a month past 7 years since I dragged the '56 home...and it moves and stops! While it has taken a lot longer than I wanted it to, I am really happy that all of my planning has worked out so far. A few small leaks here and there, but for the most part, this truck is that much closer to running down the road. I have waited all these years to be able to do more "cosmetic" upgrades .... looking forward to that!

Link to video of first drive.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1956 F100 Build Thread "A Family Affair"