6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No Power/High Boost Problem. P0299 & P0478

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Lowe
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Power/High Boost Problem. P0299 & P0478

No Power/High Boost Problem.

Diagnosing the problem:
Codes P0299, P0403, P0405, P0478 and unrelated (I assume) codes P1876 and P1832 using AutoEnginuty Scan Tool with the Enhanced Ford Expansion.

Symptoms:
are becoming more consistent but not 100% of the time. Low to No power and excessive boost. Position of accelerator has no effect on speed but rather a rapid increase in boost as I press the pedal.

Subject Vehicle:
2005 F350 SWLB 6.0l with 64k miles. EGR disconnect at (3K miles No dash light). VXCF4 Strategy. BONE STOCK with exception of leveling kit, wheels and tires.

Things done to date(** in an effort to resolve problem):
Rad flush and clean (2 times at 55K miles)
Shell ELC
Coolant Filter
Clean EBP tube **
Replace EBP sensor **
Wigged many wires **
Replace fuel filters **
DC 270AMP Alt. ON THE WAY

<O
Data collection: KOEO-- Idle (690rpm) ----Hi Idle (2500 rpm)
Baro(psi)---- 14.75-----14.72 --------14.75
Map(psi)---- 14.72------ 15.33------ 15.33
Map(Volts)--- 1.32------ 1.38 ------1.41
EBP(psi) ------14.8------ 17.4---- 17.1
MAF(volts) ----.08 ------.08-------- .08
VGT(%)--------- 0 ------64.13----- 48.66
MGP(psi)------- 0------- .62--------- .51
MAF(failure mode)- 0---- 1bit------- 1bit
ICP des(psi) ------14.84-- 580.1---- 716.1
MAF(lb/min)-------- .04---.04------- .04
FICM-------- didn’t check---13.0---- 13.5
<O
Comments about maintenance:
<O
I regularly change the oil & filter and run a good synthetic oil. I use nothing but OEM approved filters but have to admit that I haven’t been as consistant at changing fuel filters until now (due to the info on this Forum). I otherwise take very good care of the truck
<O
I have been reading and trying to diagnose the problem for about a week now and thought I’d ask for some help/input

Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
The EGR codes are from the EGR Valve being unplugged

It really need to be Compleatly EGR Deleated or plugged back in even plugged back in with a EGR Deleate

All the sensors thaat contribute to Turbo Look OK EXCEPT MAF

KOEO=Key On Engine Off =record value
Low Idel (truck idel on its own)=record value
High Idel (2500RPM)=record value
Values below are given in this order^^^Left to right
MAF 0 1.44 2.65 0.5 - 4.75 VOLT Mass Air Flow
EP 103 (15) 110 (16) 110 (16) 55 - 607 (8 - 88) kPa (PSI) Exhaust Pressure
These values from Cheezit so they GOOD^^^^^^
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
your EBP looked OK when you took the readings could P0478 be an Old Code/DTC??????????

P0478 EP Exhaust Pressure Control Valve High Input EP sensor, VGT control valve slow/lack of response
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P0299 EP Turbo/Super Charger Underboost EP sensor, VGT control valve slow/lack of response

P0403 EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit Open circuit, short to ground or voltage, EGR valve

P0405 EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low Open circuit, short to ground, EGR position sensor

These last 2 are from being unplugged so plug egr valve back in

Then get some MAF Cleanerr and clean MAF and may need to replace the MAF sensor
Use the MAF Cleaner they sensitive

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
And welcome to FTE

Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Lowe
Junior User
Thanks Benny!

I was thinking MAF or VGT solenoid. I am not sure about P0478 being old but since you mention it I don’t think I reset after the EBP replace and tube cleaning. I’ll do that tonight. Been having trouble with my A.E. scanner and Win 7 and don’t know which or the three to blame. Plan to pick up some MAF Cleaner on the way home to see if it helps. Will post my result. Hope to not have to buy a MAF sensor but am ready to pull the trigger if I have to.. I’ll add that my wife is on my **** to get it fixed so we can go camping (35ft travel trailer) so I am using this as an opportunity to make a few upgrades. Have 4” Turbo back exhaust on order and a few other “safe” upgrades.

Dirk

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Lowe
. Been having trouble with my A.E. scanner and Win 7 and don’t know which or the three to blame. .

Dirk

Say it isnt so LOL

Before you buy a new MAF Sensor might be a good Idea to check MAF with a DVM

Been Bit by a Bad Scanner B4 the only thing I would Question is the sensor Operating Values

They could be OK Just a DVM would Help Confirm IMO

Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Lowe
Junior User
Clean the MAF really good with MAF cleaner and re-installed. Additionally I wiggled the wires on the VGT solenoid. Cleared all codes and checked the MAF numbers/values and they are same as noted in original post (.8 & .4). Drove the truck and it puffed Blue smoke pulling out of the drive.. NEVER EVER done this before.. Drove it a few miles and run the crap out of it and she ran good boost never moved past 28 or 29psi. Got home checked for codes and nothing.......... yet. I plan to drive it work tomorrow will keep you posted.. The Blue smoke is got me worried though. I'll have to do some digging to see what I can find. Any Ideas?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
AZKID47
New User
I may have a similar situation occurring with my 2008 F350 - loss of power and no boost. My dealer has been working with the Detroit Tech Group, after struggling for two weeks not knowing what to do, and Detroit is telling them to replace the EGR sensor. Apparently the temperature was registering extremely high and as a result the computer is being told to cut down on fuel flow to put the engine in "preservation" mode. Sensor is supposed to be replaced today and vehicle road tested.

According to the dealer "they have never seen anything like this before". Doesn't seem like the codes that get generated have helped much in the diagnosis of my issue and it also seems the local dealer was holding off on contacting the Tech Group. As a result the customer suffers with extended time in the shop.

Has anyone had any issue with getting codes from a dealership? I'm not being told what has been found.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Lowe
Junior User
<!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves>false</w:TrackMoves> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <wontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <wontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <wontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority9; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]-->
Originally Posted by BLADE35

Before you buy a new MAF Sensor might be a good Idea to check MAF with a DVM

They could be OK Just a DVM would Help Confirm IMO
How would you recommend check-in em with the DVM? Should I pull the pig tail and check the terminals with unplugged KOEO or ? ..

I wanted to add that last night I was cycling/actuating the VGT open and close with the A.E. Scan tool and at Idle when I toggle to closed i noticed very little difference in the VGT duty cycle.. Maybe from 65% to say 72%. If I wasn't watching the duty cycle values then I would have never known there to be a difference at least not at idle. I didn't get to drive it this morning because I carpooled with my Smoke-In Hot wife this morning I think I still have a problem though cause I was reading about the blue smoke and came across LOTS-O info about unplugged EGR resulting in derated boost...

Well I wont lie.. I didn't plug my EGR back in yesterday (as you recommended ) mainly because my little 6yr old boy was after me to play catch (ran out of time).. So Like I said.. I ran it yesterday HARD and the boost was hitting 28 to 29PSI with EGR unplugged. Will plug EGR back in today and run again to see if My boost TRIES to exceed 28/29psi and will post results.

Dirk

Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Lowe
Junior User
Just waiting on parts at this point. Ordered new MAF sensor which I have concluded is the problem. Should be in my hands Monday the 21<SUP>st</SUP>. While I was at I ordered the Fuel Pump spring upgrade, new CAC boots from Dieselsite, new DC alternator, and a 4” turbo back exh with Cat delete/test pipe. .. Will post the results after install new MAF.

Dirk

Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
<STYLE> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </STYLE><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves>false</w:TrackMoves> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <wontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <wontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <wontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml>

How would you recommend check-in em with the DVM? Should I pull the pig tail and check the terminals with unplugged KOEO or ? ..

Dirk

To check with a DVM you MUST LEAVE EVERYTHING PLUGGED IN and BackProbe the Connector

Funney you asked this as I helped someone else check with a DVM B4 and for the Life of me couldnt figure his readings out Looked like a Bad Sensor well he Just unplugged the connector from the Sensor so he could test it

BUT once you unplug the wire harness from the sensor your NOT TESTING the Sensor anymore if youn unplug it

Basicaly ALL Sensor Information is Communicated via a Volt Reading most sensors are given a V-Ref signal and the sensor changes that Value and returns the Info to PCM Via the Volts readings

I just Got a Code for SGII to read the MAF Sensor works Great do you have a SGII (ScanGaugeII) you can plug this code in and read MAF Sensor Slick as a whistle

If not you can use a DVM and Backprobe the connector and Take Volts reading But becareful as the MAF sensor also Includes the IAT1 Sensor too so must make shure your testing the right Pins

If you dont have any Gauges I would sugest a SGII to start with 160.00 from Autozone or SGII Dealer I have 25 diffrent gauges loaded in I keep an eye on all the time and If I have a Concern in a specific area I can change a Code to check whatever out.

SGII best deal going IMO

Did you get the wire upgrade with the DC Power Alternator??? those are SWEET UNITS

Old 05-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Lowe
Junior User
Thanks Benny.. Guy’s like you and Bis are what help make the wheels go round.. Literally.. I, like many other members, am extremely grateful for the help and guidance you provide. This forum is worth more than anyone could ever imagine. I cannot say thank you enough and will try to do my part via helping contribute. fficeffice" /><O></O>
On the topic: I don’t have a SGII but rather the AutoEnginuity with the advanced Ford package. Between the scan tool and a little trouble shooting, and info from this site and help from you, I do believe the MAF is bad. I do plan to check the MAF with the volt meter this weekend to see if the DVM is any different than the AE scan tool. If in the end it’s not the MAF then I guess I have a good spare J.. <O></O>
I am pretty stoked about the DC Alernator (270) and I did get the cable kit.. Looking forward to installing it and my other new toys next weekend. Need to start my new list of “Next updates” including a set a gages. I'll post my update next Wednesday at the latesest.

Dirk

Old 05-19-2012, 03:13 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
No Power/High Boost Problem.

Diagnosing the problem:
Codes P0299, P0403, P0405, P0478 and unrelated (I assume) codes P1876 and P1832 using AutoEnginuty Scan Tool with the Enhanced Ford Expansion.

<O
Data collection: KOEO-- Idle (690rpm) ----Hi Idle (2500 rpm)
Baro(psi)---- 14.75-----14.72 --------14.75
Map(psi)---- 14.72------ 15.33------ 15.33
Map(Volts)--- 1.32------ 1.38 ------1.41
EBP(psi) ------14.8------ 17.4---- 17.1
MAF(volts) ----.08 ------.08-------- .08
VGT(%)--------- 0 ------64.13----- 48.66
MGP(psi)------- 0------- .62--------- .51
MAF(failure mode)- 0---- 1bit------- 1bit
ICP des(psi) ------14.84-- 580.1---- 716.1
MAF(lb/min)-------- .04---.04------- .04
FICM-------- didn’t check---13.0---- 13.5
<O
Guess I was just skim reading to fast again Disregaurd that SGII Bit

Your AE with the ford Bundle is Great to use best thing going for us Backyard Guys

And I do agrree MAF is Bad Reading

here is the Operating Value that you would see with a Known Good MAF Sensor
MAF
KOEO=0
Low Idel= 1.44volts
High Idel= 2.65volts
MAF Sensor Range= 0.5 - 4.75 VOLT Mass Air Flow

So your 0.8volts MAF across the Board is BAD for shure

one thing that could affect MAF Reading would be a Plugged Air Filter.

But your MAF Numbers never changed so I dont think this is because of an Air Filter.
Im thinking your right on track installing a New MAF Sensor

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Lowe
Junior User
Okay.. I recieved my new MAF today and well.. I Missed something.. The small sensor is the OLD MAF and the larger more rectangle sensor is the new replacement. Should I have also ordered a new air-box out? If so what is the part #?? Or better yet did I order the wrong MAF?? The wiring harness includes a plug for either sensor so if I had the correct Air-Box out it shoudl work.. Please help a brother out...

Old 05-21-2012, 09:58 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Looks to me like the New MAF Sensor is the 03-04 style

and to be honest I didnt know there was 2 diffrent ones

The Big MAF sensor looks like one on my 03 and on an 03 MAF sensor it also has the IAT1 sensor within it

So the New MAF wont work for you at all that sucks

Do you still have the OEM Air Filter and OEM air filter Housing????

Could the New MAF be for a Gasser???

Hang on I will check some parts numbers

What is the very TOP Picture of????

Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
So far all I found was this

MAP SENSOR 03-04 "3C3Z-9S428-BA - Ford SENSOR ASY
"

Im not shure but this makes me think you need a diffrent MAF sensor for an 05+

Quick Reply: No Power/High Boost Problem. P0299 & P0478