Trouble with inline transmission filter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with inline transmission filter

Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Elder User

A H DEVELOPMENT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Trouble with inline transmission filter

2001 F350 7.3L 4R100 My inlne transmission filter has always leaked, transmission and filter replacements @ 30K -40K mile intervals. I have tried multiple brands with same result. My reman transmission has atleast 120K miles, mostly light duty. The last time I asked the dealership tech about it he said they are now just taking them off because they are no longer needed because due changes in the transmission servicing, however I would like to keep mine as a safeguard. Both the tech and I agreed that there appears to be a filter failure that allowed fluid through the plastic body. Seems like a pressure problem to me? I have searched and searched to find another magnetic filter that is more heavy duty and maybe with a metal housing. Do not have the money to do a bypass style upgrage with a large capacity filter, like @ BD.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Go Bills !

danskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to behold
This summer, I will be adding a filter.

This type leak on you? This is what i was going to do.
Magnefine 3/8" Inline Magnetic Transmission Filter | eBay

You good do the springerpop mod SpringerPop's Transmission Filter
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Senior User

smithrock is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I threw a Magnefine on mine. Tranny doesn't seem to mind it!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Postmaster

nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.
Just put a screw-on transmission filter and throw a couple of rare earth magnets on the canister.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskool View Post
This summer, I will be adding a filter.

This type leak on you? This is what i was going to do.
Magnefine 3/8" Inline Magnetic Transmission Filter | eBay
These are good filters. Not very expensive either.

If you don't want to do the ebay route, you can get them here: Vandal Alert Automotive Products-Supplier of Products to the Automotive Dealer, Fleet and DIY Market.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Senior User

smithrock is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris View Post
These are good filters. Not very expensive either.

If you don't want to do the ebay route, you can get them here: Vandal Alert Automotive Products-Supplier of Products to the Automotive Dealer, Fleet and DIY Market.
Got mine off Amazon
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Elder User

No one else has had this problem????????
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Elder User

Quote:
You good do the springerpop mod SpringerPop's Transmission Filter

Maybe, but I am concerned because I do not do my own transmission service, and I am sure the tech will have something to say about it and blame any issues on it. For that very reason I am forced to keep my truck running STRONG but STOCK(mostly).

I was hoping to find a direct heavy duty replacement.

Keep posting guys, Thanks!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Go Bills !

danskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to behold
Is the magnefine filters that are leaking on you?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Is the magnefine filters that are leaking on you?

Yes it appears to be the actual body/housing that fails and weeps transmission fluid. I can only think that it can not handle the line pressure. Does not matter what weather temperature or if I am towing or not?

Thanks for the reply
danskool
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
My previous truck (late 99) had several Magnafine filters on it when I had it and I never had an issue with leaks and that was towing a fifth wheel all over the Rockies. I'm very sure I put it through some tough trials and it worked without a hitch. I cannot see them failing because of pressures but something must be going on for you to have issues with them. Maybe Mark K can chime in with some more insight.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Elder User

Thanks for the post ponyboychris.