Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carb Recommendation Please (economy) Good for mild modds

Hey

Phil Here,

I was wandering if anyone has a carb recommendation (name Brand)
for a 400 Engine Block (stock currently)

I pulled my carb off today and found out its a waste of space knock off 4bbl carb.

It's a Carter

Anyone know any good carburetors for fuel efficiency/Power/Mild Modifications?

I think its better if i just trash the old carb..... It is no better then a stock carb in my opinion.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a Carter AFB if that's what you've got - Edelbrock's carbs are actually a knock-off of the AFB. I think Carter did some contract manufacturing for OEMs too, though. So it could possibly be a stock carb design. Not that there's anything wrong with a well-functioning stock carb.

On a tame engine the brand of carb won't matter. Edelbrock carbs are the easiest to tune. Holleys have more bells and whistles. The old Autolite 4100 carbs are supposed to be easy on gas and make good power.

Honestly, unless the carb you've got is warped, worn out, or otherwise cratered you'd be better off rebuilding it and using the money you would have spent on a new carb to get it tuned on a dyno (or some sort of O2 sensor). And making sure the ignition system is 100% spot on. A new carb would probably need to be tweaked a little, too, if you're looking for maximum mileage/power.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc
There's nothing wrong with a Carter AFB if that's what you've got - Edelbrock's carbs are actually a knock-off of the AFB. I think Carter did some contract manufacturing for OEMs too, though. So it could possibly be a stock carb design. Not that there's anything wrong with a well-functioning stock carb.

On a tame engine the brand of carb won't matter. Edelbrock carbs are the easiest to tune. Holleys have more bells and whistles. The old Autolite 4100 carbs are supposed to be easy on gas and make good power.

Honestly, unless the carb you've got is warped, worn out, or otherwise cratered you'd be better off rebuilding it and using the money you would have spent on a new carb to get it tuned on a dyno (or some sort of O2 sensor). And making sure the ignition system is 100% spot on. A new carb would probably need to be tweaked a little, too, if you're looking for maximum mileage/power.

well either way it is a pretty new carb cause i can still see a semi mirror reflection like i said before it cannot be so old also a 75 ranchero does not have 02 sensors or cats if i recall. my exhaust is duel piped with mufflers on both sides. They sound stock cause my engine roars from the exhaust pipes at a certain speed/idle rate but over all is to silent on the interstate. Some times my ranchero exhaust get so silent with the radio off on the interstate i be thinking it was electric and get nerves. If i cannot here exhaust i am nerves to even drive it... I don't drive electronic cars.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually when my bronco goes quiet i am more concerned of the motor no longer functioning or running out of gas...

Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 AM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Usually when my bronco goes quiet i am more concerned of the motor no longer functioning or running out of gas...
HAHAHAHHAHA hey man strange things creeps drivers out like my mom say something wrong with her Ford focus every once and awhile talking about a weird sound i was like i don't here crap! LOL i drove it to and fro long distances never heard nothing!

we are all paranoid about our vehicles

Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ya pretty much. Towing can get pretty expensive.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 AM
chamblizi
Senior User
Ya pretty much. Towing can get pretty expensive.

HA i refuse to be the guy on the side of the road I See More Chevy's found on the road dead along with 90's made foriegn cars and kia's in the 2000 and up on the road dead then ford.....

Ford is not to death prone... Chevy's are more death prone recently on area's like I-5

405 and the strip that goes into kent where the k mart is..... But i will tell you this There are More Ford Users pulled over by cops then there is chevy. XD

So i can legally say if we die we die in a parking space with pride lol

Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Haha true. I don't see many broken down cars but if i do they are normally foreign cars or i see a few pickups.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Dont throw the Carter away.....I will take it!!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Going once! going twice! SOLD to the man in the blue suede shoes . If i am not mistaken i think he is going to rebuild it. Not sure though.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Originally Posted by njneer1
Dont throw the Carter away.....I will take it!!!!

i put the carb in the shop for repair cause i did not feel like rebuilding it.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
Going once! going twice! SOLD to the man in the blue suede shoes . If i am not mistaken i think he is going to rebuild it. Not sure though.

yeah i just thru the thing in my friends shop so he could rebuild it... Little parts give me a head ache lol

Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 PM
agaristo77
Freshman User
Originally Posted by chamblizi
If i cannot here exhaust i am nerves to even drive it... I don't drive electronic cars.
there's an electric car that races at PIR that pushes about 450 hp. direct drive. no transmission.

it'll do a 10 second 1/4 mile at 129mph.

It uses a modified 9" Ford rear.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by agaristo77
there's an electric car that races at PIR that pushes about 450 hp. direct drive. no transmission.

it'll do a 10 second 1/4 mile at 129mph.

It uses a modified 9" Ford rear.
That wouldn't be the White Zombie would it? That sucker is FAST... Look it up it's damn cool. We learned a bit about it in my old high school auto tech class.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 PM
chamblizi
Senior User
That wouldn't be the White Zombie would it? That sucker is FAST... Look it up it's damn cool. We learned a bit about it in my old high school auto tech class.
ehh i have no clue what you two are talking about but i can tell you this... When i was 8-13 I Remember the ShockWave the jet powered truck... she is a big fuel hog world famous.. When she blows off smoke it would cover the whole track warming up.

Quick Reply: Carb Recommendation Please (economy) Good for mild modds