Sponsored by: Moser

Eco-boost durability

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Feedguy
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eco-boost durability

Spent an evening with a friend celebrating a birthday. Lot of chevy guys there. One an employee of a chevy dealer. Started bad mouthing ecoboost durability, supposed talk of locked up turbos and other smack talk about complexity.
Anyone who has the ecoboost what are your thoughts on the durability? I have an 04 with the 5.4 and although I really like the power it has not been a perfect experience. Cam phaser. The young lad wanted me to justify my ownership of the Ford. I gave him one reason. Chevy's are ugly. Fords are not. Pretty hard to win that one! I couldn't care less what kind of machinery is under all that ugly. Let me know how the ecoboost is working. I would like one of those hot rods someday.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Works fine for me. I have 3,500 miles on it now with no problems.

Seriously, my wife drives a 2003 VW Passat with the 1.8T turbo engine - when we bought that car new almost 10 years and 100K miles ago, people were saying similar things. The thing still runs great with no problems whatsoever.

I say let them talk, and drive their low power or gas guzzling (and ugly) Chevy's!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:24 PM
06sd4x4
Freshman User
Ecoboost durability

Have had mine for 12 months - 12,000 on odometer with zero problems. I love it - I agree the Fords look great; Chevy's look like s**t! He's talking smack to you about the motor.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Just rolled 11,000 blissful miles. Since I've owned my ecoboost, driving anything else is simply a let down. This engine is fun, fuel efficient and reliable. The ecoboost program has brought Ford to the next level across it's entire product line that employs the technology.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hum I don't know about the Chevy's being ugly.... I owned an '08 3/4 ton gas 6.0L for the better half of two years, only got rid of it because it couldn't get better than 11-12 mpg despite being a good solid motor. I also liked the way it looked and always got complients on that truck too. Personally I like the Chevy dash/ interior on the '07 + trucks, very easy to use and the quality/grade of the materials used were top shelf for sure. My 3/4 ton Chevy was also smoother on the highway than my '11 1/2 ton F-150 just for comparison.

I also think the overall design of the Chevy is more conservative than bling-bling like the Ford which I prefer. While the front end on our '09+ Fords are handsome they don't look tough in my opinion, I also hate the huge and goofy tailights on my '11 and all '09-'12 F-150's why they have to be so big and obnoxious is beyond me. The main reason I got an F-150 was because the '11+ Motors where just plain superior to anything else on the market, and at the end of the day I could care less what a truck looks like as long as the motor/ drivetrain are good.

In my opinion the only ugly truck still availible is the Toyota Tundra, that truck has a face only a mother can truly love. In fact I've rented a Tundra 5.7 and the motor is fantastic. The problem with the Tundra is it has an awesome motor wrapped around an ugly truck.

The Ram is probably the best looking truck period but quality and attention to detail are spotty when you look at them closely. Also the entire coil-sprung rear-end was the real deal-breaker for me. I use my truck 90% time for heavy payloads and not necessarily towing so a coil-sprung rear end would be a huge disadvantage for my needs.

I probably would have been in another Chevy when I was looking for a truck last year but dealing with GM at the dealership level or corporate is always like pulling teeth. Also I felt GM should have had some better offerings as far as motors by now in the game. Their 5.3 is equivelint to Fords 4.6 3v motor and the 6.2 eventhough it is a beast is close to Fords 5.0 or 3.5 EcoBoost in terms of power but drinks more gas and is only availible on the higher trims.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Pool Runner - very sorry that I have to say this - but ALL current Chevy trucks are just butt ugly.

Ram looks cheap, Chevy looks ugly, and F150 & Tundra both look good IMO. F150 is more capable than the Tundra - hence my choice.

Again, apologizing in advance ...

Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flixden you like the look of the yada's man you need glasses?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
flixden you like the look of the yada's man you need glasses?

I like them too. If Ford stopped building trucks tomorrow, I'd have a Tundra next go around.

My dad owned new GMs all of his life and they all broke bad with about 70-80K miles on them. The dealer was more than happy to take his hard earned money but never backed him like a good partner should.

The Rams remind me more of a die cast metal truck than a real truck.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ecoboost engine is being introduced in the same manner as the Triton engines. Both were installed (tested) in cars before being put into the trucks. Still, the engine really hasn't been available in the F150 long enough to be sure about durability.

Anecdotal reports from the Internet indicate no major wide-spread issues with the engine. So far, the biggest issue seems to be owners expectations. Ford marketing has made people think they'll get "V8 power with V6 economy" at the same time. This simply isn't going to happen. When you tap into that V8 power, you get V8 mileage... and it sure is fun!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
gup
Freshman User
Had five Suburbans/Yukon XLs in a row before trading a 2007 on a 2011 XLT SCREW Eco-Boost last May. Will turn 39,000 mies this weekend. Had to get a reflash because of the dumping boost issue. Also had to get used to the different sounds (or lack of) this rig makes. It sure is quiet which I like. My next truck will be another Ford SCREW Eco-boost. I like it that much.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just turned 8000mi with mine and im still smiling from ear to ear! It pulls my 32' camper without even breaking a sweat. The engine might not sound like a mean V8 but when the turbos spool up while driving around and towing the camper it is music to my ears!!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
From what it looks like to me around here is that nobody has any serious mileage on them to be certain how well they will hold up. What about using them everyday towing a trailer with heavy loads? Just like my 6.2, we really just don't know yet, not enough with a lot of miles out there.
If you use it as a daily driver you probably won't have major issues, I think those will come when you work it hard and put a lot of stain n the turbos day in and day out. The Ecoboost do sound cool when you drive next to one and you can hear the turbo spooling up. Not sure if any one else has driven next to one with the windows down, way different then hearing your own truck. You can get right next to the engine by the front wheels, especially when the driver knows what you are doing.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
I like them too. If Ford stopped building trucks tomorrow, I'd have a Tundra next go around.

My dad owned new GMs all of his life and they all broke bad with about 70-80K miles on them. The dealer was more than happy to take his hard earned money but never backed him like a good partner should.

The Rams remind me more of a die cast metal truck than a real truck.
i was joking theres nothing wrong with the Toyota's. i just can't support a co. thats not American based. i want the trickle down of profit to trickle down to my brother's and sister's! i am kinda in love with this country and if that offends you well sorry and get over it. just a proud member of the retired us armed forces!
OP sorry for the tread jacking

Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
i was joking theres nothing wrong with the Toyota's. i just can't support a co. thats not American based. i want the trickle down of profit to trickle down to my brother's and sister's! i am kinda in love with this country and if that offends you well sorry and get over it. just a proud member of the retired us armed forces!
OP sorry for the tread jacking
Don't feel bad. I think Tundras are ugly too.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
Pool Runner - very sorry that I have to say this - but ALL current Chevy trucks are just butt ugly.

Ram looks cheap, Chevy looks ugly, and F150 & Tundra both look good IMO. F150 is more capable than the Tundra - hence my choice.

Again, apologizing in advance ...
He he no apologizing necessary sir, that's why we are all entitled to our own opinions. I'm going to catch heat for saying but I actually like the way the Nissan Titan looks. Even the 5.6 V8 is a beast of a motor and damn reliable too! It's just the interior looks like its from the 80's and drive-train choices and options are spartan.

Could of had a top of the line Titan 4x4 X-Off Road or whatever they call their FX4 equivellent, crew cab, 8' box, leather, Nav, sunroof etc.... New for less than my '11 5.0 2wd super cab F-150 but the '08 Frontier V6 I had was an absolute POS I vowed never to own another Nissan again.

Quick Reply: Eco-boost durability