Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oregon Tech Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhopson
Any suggestions for what would be great projects for a new 7.3 owner, no nods to truck yet. This way I can order what is needed.
We will have a small workshop on the FRX as well as a fuel bowl rebuild. Woodnthings may do an AE demo. Best thing to do is call Clay @ Riffraff and follow his recommendations. He has developed a lot of products focused on correcting some weak points on the 7.3. There will be a lot of new owners from here locally so you might pick up some ideas to use later as well.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:07 AM
racincowboy
Senior User
Hey Mark if anyone is interested I have a tru cool trans cooler I will be bringing down with me that someone will get a deal on brand new never used. Sorry if this is not allowed by the mods feel free to delete it.

Is all the shop space tied up by the way? I was hoping to install a new pyro probe pre turbo (instead of post where it is now) and my 6.0 trans cooler all the other stuff can wait or I wll do those at home. One more thing what is all involved with changing the HPOP lines what all needs to be removed to get them changed out?

Old 06-10-2012, 12:12 PM
bluescrew
Elder User
i am also thinking about doing some sort of tuner mod... hopefully the weather is awesome!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will call RiffRaff on Monday. I look forward to all the demo's and anything to help me better care for our new 7.3. I am thinking of a few projects and not sure if I need dedicated shop time, would an exhaust qualify for that? If those pics are from the last event - it looks like bringing food, BBQ, etc.. would be a good idea, BBQ's, etc...

I hope to install a new Inter Cooler and also change my tranny fluid - I would prefer to have someone that has done this before just to be a Q&A resource if needed. I was planning on installing a different InterCooler.

One big question before I come. I have a major shaking/shimmy issue under breaking. It was mfgd in Nov 99 (says the sticker) and have read FTE about the pins that sieze up. It's not consistent but regardless here is my question. Do you know if I can purchase new calipers that have the pin mod and bolt on to this year? Would I also need to change the rotors?

If so then this was something I was going to buy before coming so I can do it down there.

Looking forward to the event.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bluescrew
i am also thinking about doing some sort of tuner mod... hopefully the weather is awesome!
Beautiful today:-)

Originally Posted by jwhopson
I will call RiffRaff on Monday. I look forward to all the demo's and anything to help me better care for our new 7.3. I am thinking of a few projects and not sure if I need dedicated shop time, would an exhaust qualify for that? If those pics are from the last event - it looks like bringing food, BBQ, etc.. would be a good idea, BBQ's, etc...We will have some burgers and dogs, I would do the exhaust on concrete nat gravel.

I hope to install a new Inter Cooler and also change my tranny fluid - I would prefer to have someone that has done this before just to be a Q&A resource if needed. I was planning on installing a different InterCooler.

One big question before I come. I have a major shaking/shimmy issue under breaking. It was mfgd in Nov 99 (says the sticker) and have read FTE about the pins that sieze up. It's not consistent but regardless here is my question. Do you know if I can purchase new calipers that have the pin mod and bolt on to this year? Would I also need to change the rotors?

If so then this was something I was going to buy before coming so I can do it down there.

Looking forward to the event.
Originally Posted by racincowboy
Hey Mark if anyone is interested I have a tru cool trans cooler I will be bringing down with me that someone will get a deal on brand new never used. Sorry if this is not allowed by the mods feel free to delete it.

Is all the shop space tied up by the way? I was hoping to install a new pyro probe pre turbo (instead of post where it is now) and my 6.0 trans cooler all the other stuff can wait or I wll do those at home. One more thing what is all involved with changing the HPOP lines what all needs to be removed to get them changed out?
Lance we will make room in the shop for you, the hpop is pretty straight forward and I have the tools for it.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
One more thing if you have parts to swap post them up and maybe you will have something someone else will need. Don't post prices or general "for sale" parts or the moderators may stop it. I think swap meet parts exchanges are acceptable.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Boss73
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mark
It sounds like you are going to have one heck of a tech day! I am bummed because I can't be there. I will be in Socal visiting my daughters and the grand kids! I will be having fun, but I was looking forward to your event this year. Maybe next year!
You All have fun now!!

Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Boss73
Mark
It sounds like you are going to have one heck of a tech day! I am bummed because I can't be there. I will be in Socal visiting my daughters and the grand kids! I will be having fun, but I was looking forward to your event this year. Maybe next year!
You All have fun now!!
Thanks Ken, we will miss you, have safe travels.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Waltdog
of American machinists

Getting close

Old 06-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
I know, It is going to be a great time!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 AM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
How many and what size RVs are coming. Rv owners will have to decide if you want to park by the shop/ activity, or by the river, peace and quiet.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
DavidE
Mountain Pass
Sounds like a great day!

Mark I will be doing fuel bowl, FRX, HPO hoses, and if time maybe Boots (all from Clay) on my 02 with my in bed camper on. Unless it rains OK being close to the shop for coaching if needed and to see what others are doing when I am done would be great. When is the fuel bowl demo? I should be there late afternoon of day before. Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DavidE
Mark I will be doing fuel bowl, FRX, HPO hoses, and if time maybe Boots (all from Clay) on my 02 with my in bed camper on. Unless it rains OK being close to the shop for coaching if needed and to see what others are doing when I am done would be great. When is the fuel bowl demo? I should be there late afternoon of day before. Thanks again.
Maybe we will use yours as the demo. LOL

Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
DavidE
Mountain Pass
Only a week and a half to go!

Mark be happy to be the demo if that helps. I'll email you to see what tools and equipment I should have with me if you want to do that. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Ha ha, you beat me to it. I was going to volunteer my truck to be the demo truck so I could watch - smile.

OK, here is the deal and I need honest feedback (like that is an issue). I have read, viewed you tube, etc... and although I may be able to do most of these myself - I will need help. Is this project list too big to take on during tech day? We plan on towing our trailer there and staying over if we "fit" in enough and are welcome.

I was hoping to.....
4" Exhaust, AIH delete plug, Ford AIS (all from Clay - thank you)
Examine front rotors/pads and flush the brakes
Connect altenator to battery directly (I saw this somewhere and would like to do it)
Flush the steering fluid (what is a good fluid to put back for 2000 F350 CC)? So I can bring it with me. I am partial to Amsoil for my gasser rig, is it good for 7.3?
Maybe do the sound dampening but doubt it
Discover how others are caring for the paint and detail - I seem to keep getting swirls.

Thanks for the input and I am super excited, can't wait. I planned on bringing tools, enough wire loom and shrink tube to do everyones rig. drain buckets, etc... Is this too over anxious

I hope to have the differentials changed this weekend - I was thinking of Amsoil severe gear something....

Quick Reply: Oregon Tech Day