Sponsored by:

Top mounting hardware

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top mounting hardware

So i would have posted this in my project thread but i kind of need an answer sooner rather than later. I need to know the pecs on the bolt that mount the top. the kit fro clips and bolts from JBG is $55 without tax and shipping.. I feel it will be the same else where if it comes in a kit, so my plan is to get the measurements and go to the local Fastenal and see if they have stuff there. I know there is 13 bolts and clips. Once issue i am seeing is the different lengths, the 8 rear ones are short and the 3 top ones are long but what about the middle 2? Are those going to be the same length as the 3 top ones? Really i just need to know the length of them and i could probably just find matching clips i just don't have any bolts to take in with me. I have 4 small ones out of the 8 on the rear and one long one that i got from the junkyard, but it isn't the same size as what was originally there OR the clip is stripped out. Any ideas?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ehh pretty much scratch the whole post... I went to the local Fastenal a moment ago and for $5 i got these

All 8 small bolts that are same thread, 3 washers for said 8 bolts and 5 bigger washers for the upper 5 long bolts. On Monday i am getting the 5 long bolts and the other 5 small washers. Then i am pretty much good to go BUT******* i ran into a new issue. So i got 4 small bolts on there now, i went to try re-aligning the top (it is raining so i can't pull it off) and low and behold there was no hole for a bolt to go into. i have pictures.
This is the driver side front of the small 8

This wasn't easy but while pushing up a little and taking a picture you will see there is no hole below the normal one.

I don't know if this is supposed to be that way and i am pretty sure it isn't. I don't know what that other hole there is for. this is the same for the passenger side one and i haven't had a chance to check the 2 in the far back, i have a bunch of crapola in the back so it is a bit cramped. If anyone has any insight into this i would love to figure out why i can only put 4 bolts in the back right now.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On earth why bother to put more than the four bolts in the "corners" back into it? I mean, you can certainly concern yourself with putting it all back in but if you remove the top on a regular basis its takes for EVER to pull it all every time.

Two of the long ones at the top aft corners where the fiberglass meets the steel roof and the two short ones in the back corners of the bed have been the only hardware in any Bronco of mine since the first time the top was removed... which is usually within a week of taking ownership. Never a squeak, never a leak, never a tweak from any top held with just those four. I suppose of you want to put all the interior trim back in when the top is on, you will need to worry with most of the hardware though.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by greystreak92
On earth why bother to put more than the four bolts in the "corners" back into it? I mean, you can certainly concern yourself with putting it all back in but if you remove the top on a regular basis its takes for EVER to pull it all every time.

Two of the long ones at the top aft corners where the fiberglass meets the steel roof and the two short ones in the back corners of the bed have been the only hardware in any Bronco of mine since the first time the top was removed... which is usually within a week of taking ownership. Never a squeak, never a leak, never a tweak from any top held with just those four. I suppose of you want to put all the interior trim back in when the top is on, you will need to worry with most of the hardware though.
Well, being Washington it rains a lot so it won't be off very often, but the other reason is that it doesn't feel safe. I don't have the top 5 bolts only 4 on the bed sides. IF i had the top 2 and the back 2 i wouldn't be so concerned. And also i don't have any of the interior trim to take of as it sits... I haven't checked the 2 rear holes on the very back yet to see if there even is anything to put a bolt into. If i only miss 3 bolts thats fine, as long as i get the majority so it is safer.

Currently i don't have any leaks unless i spray upward while washing it and i do get a lot of creaking when it flexes but once i get the few more bolts in i think it will be fine.