Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Awitte58
I hear ya! -19 right now, wind chill -46

It says in the title Bill! Reno 911. lol

Still hilarious tho!

Happy Hump Day errrbody!
The coldest I saw gauge drop to was -18°F, the wind chills were -45° here. Today is the first day the office was open all week, but I worked on my uncles farm all day Monday and Tuesday. They had all kinds of problems with water lines freezing and breaking and also getting tractors and trucks buried in the snow. (Not to mention they have 3 cummins trucks. 1 was in the shop with the transmission out, another one got stuck in the snow, and then died they ran the batteries dead trying to restart it. The last and oldest cummins kept going along with my old PSD. At one point my cousin said, "All joking aside, I do think these Fords have always done better in the snow for some reason." I rather enjoyed hearing that after all the flack they give me, lol.) We had 6" of snow on the ground before this storm came along. It dropped another 14" on the ground then the wind started blowing and that's when it got bad. There were 3 foot tall drift formations in the fields that looked like ocean waves. It was beautiful outside even though it was so cold. Its finally warmed up to 12° here today, but we are supposed to get a little more snow tonight through Friday.

EDIT: The old Dieselsite 203° thermostat definitely paid for itself the last couple of days. I had plenty of heat where that cummins could barely defrost the windshield.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Not to ruin it but that's fake lol. It was on a TV show
It says in the title Bill! Reno 911. lol

Still hilarious tho!

Happy Hump Day errrbody!
I thought it might be....and I don't know what the heck Reno 911 is! I don't watch much TV.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
The coldest I saw gauge drop to was -18°F, the wind chills were -45° here. Today is the first day the office was open all week, but I worked on my uncles farm all day Monday and Tuesday. They had all kinds of problems with water lines freezing and breaking and also getting tractors and trucks buried in the snow. (Not to mention they have 3 cummins trucks. 1 was in the shop with the transmission out, another one got stuck in the snow, and then died they ran the batteries dead trying to restart it. The last and oldest cummins kept going along with my old PSD. At one point my cousin said, "All joking aside, I do think these Fords have always done better in the snow for some reason." I rather enjoyed hearing that after all the flack they give me, lol.) We had 6" of snow on the ground before this storm came along. It dropped another 14" on the ground then the wind started blowing and that's when it got bad. There were 3 foot tall drift formations in the fields that looked like ocean waves. It was beautiful outside even though it was so cold. Its finally warmed up to 12° here today, but we are supposed to get a little more snow tonight through Friday. EDIT: The old Dieselsite 203° thermostat definitely paid for itself the last couple of days. I had plenty of heat where that cummins could barely defrost the windshield.
Wow that's cold!! How do you like the 203* thermostat? I just ordered one today. I keep reading good and some are skeptical.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:56 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Wow that's cold!! How do you like the 203* thermostat? I just ordered one today. I keep reading good and some are skeptical.
I'm curios as well, x2

Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't answer for Phil, but I know I really like the one I had in my old truck. It makes a real difference when it's really cold out like that.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I can't answer for Phil, but I know I really like the one I had in my old truck. It makes a real difference when it's really cold out like that.
Out of curiosity, where does the needle ride on the guage?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Out of curiosity, where does the needle ride on the guage?
You'll find that every gauge will ride in a different place for the same given temp. My OBS came factory with a 203* t-stat since it's a '95. At 205* coolant temp, the gauge is right above the N...

Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
You'll find that every gauge will ride in a different place for the same given temp. My OBS came factory with a 203* t-stat since it's a '95. At 205* coolant temp, the gauge is right above the N...
I hear ya, roger that.. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I thought I was going to have time to finally install my Amp Research steps on my Super Duty this weekend. Wishful thinking it turns out. My phone just got lit up and I have two 7.3 oil coolers and a heim joint fix on an OBS clutch master rod to do this weekend now. FML. LOL $$$$$$$$

Old 01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The coldest I saw gauge drop to was -18°F, the wind chills were -45° here. Today is the first day the office was open all week, but I worked on my uncles farm all day Monday and Tuesday. They had all kinds of problems with water lines freezing and breaking and also getting tractors and trucks buried in the snow. (Not to mention they have 3 cummins trucks. 1 was in the shop with the transmission out, another one got stuck in the snow, and then died they ran the batteries dead trying to restart it. The last and oldest cummins kept going along with my old PSD. At one point my cousin said, "All joking aside, I do think these Fords have always done better in the snow for some reason." I rather enjoyed hearing that after all the flack they give me, lol.) We had 6" of snow on the ground before this storm came along. It dropped another 14" on the ground then the wind started blowing and that's when it got bad. There were 3 foot tall drift formations in the fields that looked like ocean waves. It was beautiful outside even though it was so cold. Its finally warmed up to 12° here today, but we are supposed to get a little more snow tonight through Friday.

EDIT: The old Dieselsite 203° thermostat definitely paid for itself the last couple of days. I had plenty of heat where that cummins could barely defrost the windshield.
Yeah it was crazy cold! I am pretty happy that the storm around here only brought 4" and cold weather. Glad to hear your truck put them cummins to shame! LOL

I am enjoying the high of 20 degrees today! Supposed to be freezing rain tonight and tomorrow...

And then this weekend back up to 37 degrees.
If you dont like the weather in the midwest...just wait a minute.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:31 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
As for the T-stat I love it. I used to have to put cardboard in front of the radiator whenever it got down to 20° since I idle a lot on the farm. But now I never have too. I carried a piece along just in case since this was the first time being this cold since I put it in.
Travis is correct on the gauge, but I went from maxing out on the 'N' to maxing out on the 'A', but under normal driving it rides on the 'M' now. I actually have to turn the heat down in my truck now.

Another thing I've noticed is for my truck there seems to be a power increase with the higher operating temperature.

Yeah it was crazy cold! I am pretty happy that the storm around here only brought 4" and cold weather. Glad to hear your truck put them cummins to shame! LOL

I am enjoying the high of 20 degrees today! Supposed to be freezing rain tonight and tomorrow...

And then this weekend back up to 37 degrees.
If you dont like the weather in the midwest...just wait a minute.
I must be down wind from you, we have the same weather forecast.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another thing I've noticed is for my truck there seems to be a power increase with the higher operating temperature.
I noticed the same thing when I put the 203* in my '96. It seemed like it really liked being a little warmer.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I need a better thermostat in the ol V10. I ended up putting a piece of cardboard on my grill just so the steering wheel would be derfosted by the time I drive the 8 miles to work lol. I did put a new thermostat in also. Between the both of em, I can finally be comfortable

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread