Sponsored by: Moser

Limited slip or electronic locking???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob.D
So which rearend would be a better fit for my wife, LS or Elock? I will be ordering a 2012/13 Max Tow, Crew Cab, Lariat, 3.73 for her as a daily driver? She is 80% highway, 80 mile round trip daily. Michigan winters
Theoretically, my answer would be LSD, but as Ford8502 said, you won't have much of a choice with that configuration, e-lock is the only thing offered unless you opt for HD payload which seems very expensive and the ride is not quite as "car like" if you don't need it.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
In a truck with 4WD and:
- open diffs: 2 wheels will drive worst case
- locking rear: 3 wheels will drive worst case

In a truck with 2WD and open diff, you'll have only one wheel driving in the worst case.
A 2WD truck with a locker is similar to a 4WD with open diffs in that two wheels will be trying to push forward in the worst case, just with the 2WD locker, it's two wheels on one axle, with the 4WD open diff it's two wheels on different axles. Depending on the terrain or specific circumstances, one could be better than the other, even the 2WD with locker *could* be better off than the 4WD with open diffs.
The ideal case would be a LS diff in the rear with a locking option, and then a locker in the front. On top of that, I'd have 2LO on my wishlist. Now everything would be covered.
Slightly off topic but a few years ago I had a 2008 Chevy 3/4 Gas 6.0L 2wd with the factory G80/ 3.73 rear end. No stink that truck went better off-road on realatively street oriented rubber than my '08 Crew Cab 4x4 Nissan Frontier with BFG Allterrain's and 2" level/ lift with open Fr & Rear diffs. It was staggering how I never worried about getting stuck with my 2wd Chevy/ G80- locking diff, but always worried when I drove the 4x4 Nissan with open front & rear diffs and Off-road worthy rubber. Weird I know.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rob.D
So which rearend would be a better fit for my wife, LS or Elock? I will be ordering a 2012/13 Max Tow, Crew Cab, Lariat, 3.73 for her as a daily driver? She is 80% highway, 80 mile round trip daily. Michigan winters
Is you're wife going to be off-roading this thing? Because seriously and I'm not trying to be "that guy" but for the real world and safety reasons, especially when driving in rain and what not a simple open rear differential is the "Safest" for 95% of drivers where the vehicle is just an appliance. As with an open differential the vehicle is least likely to fishtail when a wheel slips due to lift off-oversteer.

Just saying, my wife is pretty car savvy and has driven everything from agricultural/ farm equipment to rescue's & fire engines for the Fire dept as well as lifted trucks and claims to be able to "out-wheel" me Off-Road Lol but if I sat her down and tried to explain the difference between a Limited-Slip, an E-Locker, G80, clutch-packed LSD .Vs viscous, Open-diff etc.. all I'm going to get from her is a combination of a lot of snow and deer sittin in front of headlamps.

My point is she will be fine with what ever you end up with so good luck.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Because seriously and I'm not trying to be "that guy" but for the real world and safety reasons, especially when driving in rain and what not a simple open rear differential is the "Safest" for 95% of drivers where the vehicle is just an appliance. As with an open differential the vehicle is least likely to fishtail when a wheel slips due to lift off-oversteer.
I would have identified the LSD as the "safest" bet for most on-road scenarios and 95% of the people, especially in rain, etc. ....
I do not see how fishtailing adds to safety when a LSD could possibly have retained traction in the same scenario. Can you explain?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts
I would have identified the LSD as the "safest" bet for most on-road scenarios and 95% of the people, especially in rain, etc. ....
I do not see how fishtailing adds to safety when a LSD could possibly have retained traction in the same scenario. Can you explain?
With an open rear end, if one wheel loses traction the other wheel is planted and stabilizes the rear of the truck. With a LSD, both wheels can spin and allow the rear of the truck to slide sideways or into a ditch.
Open can be better in some instances. But with a LSD and non aggressive driving, I agree you stay out of more problems.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford8502
With an open rear end, if one wheel loses traction the other wheel is planted and stabilizes the rear of the truck. With a LSD, both wheels can spin and allow the rear of the truck to slide sideways or into a ditch.
Open can be better in some instances. But with a LSD and non aggressive driving, I agree you stay out of more problems.
Traction control should theoretically handle that two wheel spin scenario, right? But I see what you are saying ... I'd still consider LS the safer of the two though when compared to open diff for everyday driving for 90+% of people.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Traction control should theoretically handle that two wheel spin scenario, right? But I see what you are saying ... I'd still consider LS the safer of the two though when compared to open diff for everyday driving for 90+% of people.
If this were the case all vehicles would come standard with limited slip differential, because they make cars as idot proof as possible for the masses. There would certainly be more accidents with the majority if not all cars/ trucks equipped such. LSD helps a skilled driver at 8/10+ of the vehicles ability. Most people would not know how to react when both wheels are getting traction and the rear end of a vehicle wants to swap ends.

This is probably why a lot of exotic & high-end cars bought by un-skilled drivers end up in ditches before they even get their registration in the mail.

With an open differential you can almost hold your foot to the floor on slick pavement and the vehicle will still track around a corner, abeit not mover very quickly and seriously spinning it's inside wheel through the turn. With LSD you get snap over-steer and if you don't know what your doing you would have swapped ends.

Personally I would not want to be out on the road with my family if every single car/ truck on the road was equipped with an LSD, it is deffinately a tool for a skilled motorist.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
So I was talking to someone with the chat feature on the Ford website and they said that with the e-lock you need to activate it to get both wheels to spin otherwise one wheel will spin (like Nasty stated) with the LS the traction control basically applies more power to the non slipping wheel and acts like a posi like in the video I posted. The problem I see is that in order to get the 3.73 LS with the 4x4 Lariat you have to take the Max payload and the max tow together...which sucks because I really do NOT want the damn 17" 7 lug rims...they are ugly!

They also stated in 4 wheel low all four tires will spin with power distributed to all 4 wheels.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
So I was talking to someone with the chat feature on the Ford website and they said that with the e-lock you need to activate it to get both wheels to spin otherwise one wheel will spin (like Nasty stated) with the LS the traction control basically applies more power to the non slipping wheel and acts like a posi like in the video I posted. The problem I see is that in order to get the 3.73 LS with the 4x4 Lariat you have to take the Max payload and the max tow together...which sucks because I really do NOT want the damn 17" 7 lug rims...they are ugly!

They also stated in 4 wheel low all four tires will spin with power distributed to all 4 wheels.
The one wheel spin control will eventually distribute power to the wheel with traction, but it does take some agressive wheel spin to activate it.

have you looked into the Detroit TrueTrac?

not sure what the upcharge is for the MaxPayload/MaxTow package is, but you could probably have a TrueTrac installed in the $1000 range or a little less...... Methinks the TrueTrac is far better than ford's Limited Slip.

Works the same way as the Torsen, which is available on the Raptor in the front, and the rangers in the rear .... high quailty and effective.

just a thought.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford has done a lot with their packaging market theory to alienate a lot of customers like me. I'm still ticked at their marketing strategies. The the only reason they put ugly cloth seats in the XLT's is so you'll order the upscale and overpriced Lariat and above. And are power windows really needed when the aero package makes the cab too noisy with a window rolled down at speed? I could go on and on. Bottom line is that other than not having the six speed transmission my 06 5.4L XLT with L/S differential does quite well. It doesn't get quite as good of fuel economy as the new trucks get, but the difference in the cost of a new truck and my 06 will buy a lot of gas. I prefer the L/S without being required to get the Max-Payload Package on all models. But Ford isn't listening to their customers and their customers aren't talking with their wallets. If we don't buy, Ford will listen.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
Ford has done a lot with their packaging market theory to alienate a lot of customers like me. I'm still ticked at their marketing strategies. The the only reason they put ugly cloth seats in the XLT's is so you'll order the upscale and overpriced Lariat and above.
I see where you are coming from, but to be honest you are putting your opinions out there as though they are facts for everyone.

there ARE those of us that would not want leather, even as a zero cost option. As to the lariat, even if i wanted all the other doo-dads, i would still not buy one because cloth is not an option.

i'm more mad that the XLT's don't give you a credit for removing the carpet, but they will up charge you if you add it to the XL or STX. Sure, i can order it with vinyal, but it is the same cost as carpet.

I do agree that leather should be an option at the XLT trim level, at an up charge, for those who want it. But honestly some people actually like cloth.

If we don't buy, Ford will listen.
What would be buy? no one else makes a truck.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
Ford has done a lot with their packaging market theory to alienate a lot of customers like me. I'm still ticked at their marketing strategies. The the only reason they put ugly cloth seats in the XLT's is so you'll order the upscale and overpriced Lariat and above. And are power windows really needed when the aero package makes the cab too noisy with a window rolled down at speed? I could go on and on. Bottom line is that other than not having the six speed transmission my 06 5.4L XLT with L/S differential does quite well. It doesn't get quite as good of fuel economy as the new trucks get, but the difference in the cost of a new truck and my 06 will buy a lot of gas. I prefer the L/S without being required to get the Max-Payload Package on all models. But Ford isn't listening to their customers and their customers aren't talking with their wallets. If we don't buy, Ford will listen.
What is the aero package? Never heard of it. I must disagree with you sir on some points. The F-150 offers 10 trims. All needs can be met with the F-150 line-up. All other truck builders do this, should For be different? Ford has taken the game a step further.

If the F-150 can't or won't meet ones needs, the F-250 dang sure will.

But I will agree with sir, the lack of LSD as a mainstream option kind of ticks me off too.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Is the E-Lock not still a LSD, but offers the ability to lock both rear drive wheels? My Dad's Superduty operates that way.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The e-lock is an open diff with a locker. I personally think its an outstanding idea. As stated before, most of the General public with an LSD would be dangerous on the road.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So is the FX4 with the locker an open diff when in 2WD and 4X4 unless you engage it? Or is it a LSD? Now Im confused.

Quick Reply: Limited slip or electronic locking???