General Automotive Discussion

Is this a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a scam?

My grandmother got a call by a vehicle insurance group called Omnisure Group, LLC which they are out of Chicago IL. They got a marketer that they are using for my grandmother by the name of United Auto Protection, LLC which they are out of St. Charles MO.

I told her when they first called to watch out because it might can be a scam. She went up there to the car dealer ship since she got in an accident and they said that they think this is a gimmick. Because it shows everything that they don't cover and not what they cover.

So I think it is a scam. She supposedly has til MAY 5TH to cancel the contract. The premium they have listed on the paper is about $2,800..

Anyone heard of this group?

I don't feel like going out and hanging some folks right now, don't want to get my clothes dirty yet.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
grumpy hvacr
Senior User
Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Guess I go load up my guns and torturing devices..

Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
I made the mistake of buying one of those aftermarket "Service contract" companies a few years back. Seems they get a bunch of customers, take their money, never cover chit, and disappear. Then another one pops up.

I say get your money back ASAP, and run the other way.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Has she already paid them? By credit card, check, wire transfer?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time to knock some heads together

Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
There is not a single one of those that makes financial sense, even if they are not a scam. They hardly cover anything. Unless the car completely destroys itself there is no way they will ever pay out as much as was spent to purchase the "coverage."

Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Ya Mark and everyone else one of the most profitable and least understood up sold products are those extended warranties, available from $25 computer parts all the way up to very expensive vehicles. Most of them run concurrently with existing factory warranties for at least a portion of coverage time you pay for which is indeed ill advised.

The remaining coverage period it typically so carefully worded at best you're in for a huge battle to have any covered repair costs paid for or reimbursed. Sadly those selling the warranties are good at hiding the facts and claim complete lack of responsibility when/if one of those policy fights begin. After all they just sold it to you, you should have read the fine print...........

I hope the OP's grandma gets her money back---hate to see anyone lose to a scammer.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
She paid by credit card.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:12 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are probably a number of hurdles to jump through to cancel so read carefully, probably involves certified letters and all kinds of good stuff. Document that you did it all ASAP then you'll have a very good case for the fraud charge you are going to have to make with the CC later on when they deny your cancellation.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Manfred what exactly has become of this then---you've not left a lot of info about the events after you discovered your grandma about to be ripped off.

I'm assuming she paid for the policy but has she sought to cancel it from your recommendations or observations it might be a scam? If not why?

I believe there is a three day time period in which to cancel any such purchase but that time has probably lapsed by now. Even so it can be disputed through the credit card's issuing local bank---they'll put an immediate hold on the transaction and/or seek to reverse the charges. Once that dispute is filed and enacted (charges removed from grandma's CC) its then up to the policy seller and customer to work out details.

Chances are if the dispute is filed that scam outfit would simply let it pass, wouldn't contest it and just move along to another victim. I hope this gets worked out---hate seeing anyone getting ripped off like this!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM
wp120470
Posting Guru

One thing I can tell you about that repair coverage insuance is alot of independant garages will not accept it because of the hoops they have to jump through to get their money. When my garage had a customer who had this kind of insurance told me at time of payment to just give them their car and the insurance company will pay the bill, I informed them that No Vehicles are allowed to leave my possesion until the bill is payed in full. The insurance company told me I had to release the car to them to recieve payment. I refused to take a loss on another companies policies. Come to find out the insurance company wasn't going to cover the bill and was trying to get the car back before telling the customer. I will never let another person try that again. I will however let them pay their bill and then the insurance company can re-imburse the person back later. Be very cautious about these company's and get all the information you can on them. In the long run I had to turn the whole situation over to our State Attourney General's Office. Had to file a mechanic's lein on the car and apply for a title because of the laws in my state. Finally worked out something with the owner but the Insurance company never paid up.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Thanks everyone, she canceled it and they refund her money....thankfully. Didn't feel like getting brain batter on my clothes.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
lulu39
New User
I did not get the chance to cancel the warrenty and I paid 3K for things that will not broken down if you do your maintains!! My husband kept telling me that the warranty is a scam and I am so regret that I did not listen to him.... I always though there are something needs this kind of warranty to pay for it....Not At All....it does not pay anything for your car!

I even have to pay the replacement of "CV Join Boots". You will never be able to use the warranty money for your car unless you are breaking down the engine. If you heard anything like below, RUN AWAY!

Auto Assure LLC
6200 Tennyson PKY Suite 200, Plano, TX 75024
or
Omnisure.com

Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Old thread alert...