Low fuel pressure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low fuel pressure

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
F350-6's Avatar
F350-6 F350-6 is online now
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,125
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Low fuel pressure

Well driving home today I happened to notice my fuel pressure was reading 32 psi just cruising down a slight grade. I let off the pedal and it shot up to 38 psi. I stomped on it and it dropped to 9 psi before I let off.

With all my previous fuel pressure issues, I immediately started trying to figure out what was wrong in my mind and planning all my courses of action for when I got home. I was ready to tear everything apart by the time I got home thinking how this was going to be a long night, but I remembered this fellow named Clux who reminded me to check the simple stuff first before I started pulling things apart several years ago when I had a small oil leak.

So if you see Clux wandering around these parts, rep him for me. All of my fuel pressure woes had me jumping to conclusions, but I went ahead and checked for anything dripping first, then checked my pre-pump filter second. One look at the pre-pump filter told me all I needed to know.

I got a bad batch of fuel somewhere and the thing was plugged almost solid. Swapped the filter and fuel pressure shot back up to normal. Pressure was fine this morning, and at some point driving around today. Not really sure when it dropped, but the filter isn't but a few months old. The one before it lasted over a year.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. And for those of you that haven't done the in tank mods, it's worth moving that up on your list of things to do. 5 min. changing my inline filter sure beats having to drop the tank before going to work tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
landmobile's Avatar
landmobile landmobile is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jenkintown, PA
Posts: 492
landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.
My in-tank mod kit and filter arrived from Strictly Diesel today, hope to get it installed tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
DieselCamper01's Avatar
DieselCamper01 DieselCamper01 is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 23,019
DieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud of
Haha! Good job Chris. It is easy to start thinking the worst right away. Congrats on an easy fix for a change.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Shake-N-Bake's Avatar
Shake-N-Bake Shake-N-Bake is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mesa AZ
Posts: 6,048
Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Good story and good advice.
I need to drop the tanks on my trucks....I have two kits in my garage still, just havent gotten around to it yet. I tried to drop the tank on my wife's truck one weekend but I couldn't get the filler hose off of the neck so I figured it was a sign to pack it up and try another day.
Beer-30 started early that day...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
riverrat41's Avatar
riverrat41 riverrat41 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Glen Rose,Texas
Posts: 2,607
riverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Well driving home today I happened to notice my fuel pressure was reading 32 psi just cruising down a slight grade. I let off the pedal and it shot up to 38 psi. I stomped on it and it dropped to 9 psi before I let off.

With all my previous fuel pressure issues, I immediately started trying to figure out what was wrong in my mind and planning all my courses of action for when I got home. I was ready to tear everything apart by the time I got home thinking how this was going to be a long night, but I remembered this fellow named Clux who reminded me to check the simple stuff first before I started pulling things apart several years ago when I had a small oil leak.

So if you see Clux wandering around these parts, rep him for me. All of my fuel pressure woes had me jumping to conclusions, but I went ahead and checked for anything dripping first, then checked my pre-pump filter second. One look at the pre-pump filter told me all I needed to know.

I got a bad batch of fuel somewhere and the thing was plugged almost solid. Swapped the filter and fuel pressure shot back up to normal. Pressure was fine this morning, and at some point driving around today. Not really sure when it dropped, but the filter isn't but a few months old. The one before it lasted over a year.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. And for those of you that haven't done the in tank mods, it's worth moving that up on your list of things to do. 5 min. changing my inline filter sure beats having to drop the tank before going to work tomorrow.
I thought you might have lifted the bed up again and pinched the hose.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 AM
brushfit's Avatar
brushfit brushfit is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 180
brushfit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Well driving home today I happened to notice my fuel pressure was reading 32 psi just cruising down a slight grade. I let off the pedal and it shot up to 38 psi. I stomped on it and it dropped to 9 psi before I let off.

With all my previous fuel pressure issues, I immediately started trying to figure out what was wrong in my mind and planning all my courses of action for when I got home. I was ready to tear everything apart by the time I got home thinking how this was going to be a long night, but I remembered this fellow named Clux who reminded me to check the simple stuff first before I started pulling things apart several years ago when I had a small oil leak.

So if you see Clux wandering around these parts, rep him for me. All of my fuel pressure woes had me jumping to conclusions, but I went ahead and checked for anything dripping first, then checked my pre-pump filter second. One look at the pre-pump filter told me all I needed to know.

I got a bad batch of fuel somewhere and the thing was plugged almost solid. Swapped the filter and fuel pressure shot back up to normal. Pressure was fine this morning, and at some point driving around today. Not really sure when it dropped, but the filter isn't but a few months old. The one before it lasted over a year.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. And for those of you that haven't done the in tank mods, it's worth moving that up on your list of things to do. 5 min. changing my inline filter sure beats having to drop the tank before going to work tomorrow.
Yep, mine is still on the bench too!! That is a good argument for gettin it done!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
trekbasso trekbasso is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wellington, Co
Posts: 1,476
trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.
Chris, like you said, with your previous issues it would be hard not to jump to conclusions! Glad it was simple.
Greg, I had to drop mine a second time, and finally got the hoses off of the filler neck. A dull tipped screwdriver and some silicone spray finally got them apart.
I had taken them apart closer to the tank, and didn't get them tight enough when going back in. Leaked a little.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Toreador_Diesel's Avatar
Toreador_Diesel Toreador_Diesel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 10,291
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Same thing happened to me about a month ago....

I got a bad batch of fuel from a Shell, filed a complaint, and they told me to stick it.

Had it not been for the pre-pump filter, I would've been out a set of injectors.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
JT250's Avatar
JT250 JT250 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,954
JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Same thing happened to me about a month ago....

I got a bad batch of fuel from a Shell, filed a complaint, and they told me to stick it.

Had it not been for the pre-pump filter, I would've been out a set of injectors.
would the fuel bowl filter not catch it?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
clux's Avatar
clux clux is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Carhenge
Posts: 10,600
clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Aw, shucks. You give me too much credit.

I don't know what pre-pump filter you're running, but that's the reason I removed the little in-line see through filter and put something way more substantial for my pre-pump. Mine was plugging with wax (gelling) when it would get below 10* back before I did the regulated return.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM
F350-6's Avatar
F350-6 F350-6 is online now
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,125
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
Aw, shucks. You give me too much credit.

I don't know what pre-pump filter you're running, but that's the reason I removed the little in-line see through filter and put something way more substantial for my pre-pump. Mine was plugging with wax (gelling) when it would get below 10* back before I did the regulated return.
I don't think I give you too much credit. You've got a ton of knowledge and are plenty helpful.

And don't worry about the wax thing for me. If it gets below 10 deg. here, I ain't goin nowhere. The fuel can just gell up for all I care. Heck, I plug the truck in when it drops below 40 at night so the heater works faster in the morning.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
clux's Avatar
clux clux is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Carhenge
Posts: 10,600
clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
I don't think I give you too much credit. You've got a ton of knowledge and are plenty helpful.

And don't worry about the wax thing for me. If it gets below 10 deg. here, I ain't goin nowhere. The fuel can just gell up for all I care. Heck, I plug the truck in when it drops below 40 at night so the heater works faster in the morning.
Well, I'm flattered. But sometimes we all just need reminded what we already know. I certainly don't know anything that a hundred other guys here know.

But back to the filter. Those little inline glass filters just don't have much capacity when you do get something bad going on. I can imagine plugging one multiple times on a single tank of bad fuel.

Not for me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM
trekbasso trekbasso is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wellington, Co
Posts: 1,476
trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
Well, I'm flattered. But sometimes we all just need reminded what we already know. I certainly don't know anything that a hundred other guys here know.

But back to the filter. Those little inline glass filters just don't have much capacity when you do get something bad going on. I can imagine plugging one multiple times on a single tank of bad fuel.

Not for me.
So, what do you use for your filter? And any issues with it not able to pull fuel through? I know some have had to use a pre filter pump, but is that really necessary?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
clux's Avatar
clux clux is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Carhenge
Posts: 10,600
clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
I have a Carter lift pump so no I don't have any problem pushing fuel through it.


It's the factory filter from a 2000 Dodge Cummins that a friend of mine was going to throw away because he broke the water drain off it. I tapped the drain hole, put a needle valve in it and hung it on the frame after the pre-pump pump.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 AM
DieselDowdy's Avatar
DieselDowdy DieselDowdy is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Homestead
Posts: 138
DieselDowdy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had fuel issues for a bit I ordered the kit from strictly diesel got it some time last week or so ...first off the quality ........amazing .....and the kit went together really nicely overall I was really impressed with everything about the kit....I can't explain how easy easily this kit went together its almost idiot proof.....
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-Pump Fuel Filter Question bflora 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 28 03-26-2014 06:01 PM
Fuel pump problems F350-6 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 48 02-15-2012 07:07 PM
Fuel pressure problem F350-6 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 29 04-19-2011 10:06 AM
Worst Day for my Truck EVER.... Izzy351 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 39 01-03-2011 09:10 AM
Need help, still air in fuel after in-tank/prepump mods Robert6401 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 49 12-15-2010 08:44 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
1996, 49, 58l, 60, 99, bfife, expedition, f150, f250, fuel, good, illinois, low, pressure, signs, symptoms, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.