1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is the FRx mod needed with the Hutch mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Chipworkz
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the FRx mod needed with the Hutch mod?

So I am getting ready to do my hutch and harpoon mods to my tank. Since the hutch mod should get most if not all of the air out of the fuel system, is it still necessary to do the FRx mod too? I know that the FRx isn't only about air in the fuel but also fixes the dead head issue.

My main reason for asking is I have an e99 truck so some grinding is needed but most importantly, I live in California and need to get my truck smogged every two years. From what I have seen, the FRx mod wont pass smog.

So is just doing the hutch mod good enough?

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I've done it. It will make it smoother, I would do it. As far as smog, I put covering over the lines like wiring, looks stock and know problem yet. Do you have the powerstroke cover on the engine. It covers the riffraff name at the fuel bowl, if thats the one your using. Great set up.

Chet

Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Chipworkz
Tuned
Yes I have the cover still. So you did the hutch mod and the FRx still made a noticeable difference? Did you have to take off the up pipe to do the grinding or were you able to do it on the truck?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I did it on the truck. I used a drill, not a good easy way. Air grinder would be better. More RPM's and better bit. I have sence updated it to late 99. Fits great now. Plus I couldn't get the line on the drivers side under the turbo to fit. I had to run it over the top on the e99 setup. With late 99 it fits great. No I haven't done the in tank mod yet. Its on the list. Some guys have had bad o-rings that caused air in the system, with fuel knock also. Once replaced, all was well.

Chet

Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
You may get lucky and not have to grind at all. Roland and I installed a Riffraff FRx on my e99 and we never picked up a grinder. The rear fitting was close, but in no way needed any attention.
The angle of this pic doesn't show the gap between the baby's butt and the fitting, but there was plenty of room to spin the wrench. I'm sure if your truck does need a bit taken off that a dremel and a few mins is all that it will take.
I also ran the line under the IC pipe & over the top of the intake tube.

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Chipworkz
Tuned
Thanks for the Pic, I was thinking that connection was on the back of the head between the firewall.

My big question is still if the FRx mod is needed if the hutch mod has already been done? The description talks about mainly giving the air a return path instead of going through the injectors. It also says "By using our kit and eliminating the air in the fuel system you will experience smoother, quieter idle, less cackle, and better throttle response among other things."

My understanding is that the hutch mod removes the air in the system so if there is no air, is the FRx mod still needed?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll try..I did both and noticed a difference after both. The in-tank mods prevents air from entering the system,my truck was running out of fuel while showing a quarter tank,and very noisy(cackle),after the tank mods it will run down to empty(shouldn't do that though),and is much quieter,the FRX however serves a different purpose. Number six injector fires just before number eight therefore starving number eight and making it noisy from lack if fuel since it was at a dead end(fuel rail),Ford put a long lead injector in the number eight spot trying to get a little more fuel to it,the FRX opens the fuel rail up so number eight always gets fuel...if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me..Phil

Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I only have the FRx right now and like it. Some day I will get to the tank mods. I like the idea of fuel flowing "threw" the heads and past the injectors while running. Its just how it should be.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Chipworkz
Tuned
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I'll try..I did both and noticed a difference after both. The in-tank mods prevents air from entering the system,my truck was running out of fuel while showing a quarter tank,and very noisy(cackle),after the tank mods it will run down to empty(shouldn't do that though),and is much quieter,the FRX however serves a different purpose. Number six injector fires just before number eight therefore starving number eight and making it noisy from lack if fuel since it was at a dead end(fuel rail),Ford put a long lead injector in the number eight spot trying to get a little more fuel to it,the FRX opens the fuel rail up so number eight always gets fuel...if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me..Phil
Thank you, I was hoping that someone had done both to know how they worked together. I understand about the dead end issue and know that the FRx is a good idea just for that reason. I will probably go ahead and still do the FRx mod but I will be doing the in tank mods this weekend. My biggest reason for maybe not doing it was the smog issue here in Cali. I would hate to get a Grumpy inspector that was just looking for something to fail a person on. I will get the covered option that Clay offers to help hide the lines though.

I am going to have the truck torn apart this week anyway since I am also doing the water pump, radiator and 6.0 cooler so now will be a good time I guess. Anyone need some good used parts?

Thanks again to everyone with their input.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by schlepprock250

I have heard the number 8 gets starved a few times now. When I built my FRx I ran the primary lines from the fuel bowl to the back of the heads and the return lines off the front of the heads. Makes both sides identical and since the motor is angled back the air in the heads should theoretically run to the front of the motor. So I used the stock fuel feed line to the passanger side head and made up a new line to the drivers side head.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Thats some cool sh&^ right there, SnowSeeker...Making your own FRx, how'd you connect it to the return line?

OP...where you located?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Thats some cool sh&^ right there, SnowSeeker...Making your own FRx, how'd you connect it to the return line?

OP...where you located?
Don't want to sidetrack this thread. Everything of mine can be seen here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...and-stuff.html

Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Chipworkz
Tuned
I am in the Los Angeles area.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
JMHO here but I put the FRX on mine before doing the in-tank deal & to be honest if my brake line that runs along the frame behind the tank hadn't rusted out I probably never would have messed with the tank. The FRX did exactly what Clay said it would & I believe every 7.3 should have one or a full reg. return.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If you do the hutch mod then I would buy a pickup foot from dieselorings.com. More then likely yours is broke off like the rest of ours that did the mod also.

Quick Reply: Is the FRx mod needed with the Hutch mod?