1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1 wire Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 03:51 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1 wire Alternator

Originally posted by tgregoire
I paid about $25 for a new GM alt. with internal regulator. It's the one with the single wire to the battery and a two prong plug. Just had to put a simple jumper wire (about 3 inches long, not very noticable) from the battery output to the #2 connection in the plug (I believe it was #2, I could check if anyone is interested). Works like a charm and about a third of the cost of the true one wire. Been in my truck for 3 years, no problem yet. I'm also running a 302 in my 53.
Tom,

Could you verify the exact hookup to convert to one-wire? What size wire is used from BAT to #2 connection (and verify that it does run to #2). I have a 80-100 AMP alternator off an 86 Buick Century that has a pulley for a wide serpentine type belt. This alternator is practically new. I don't see why I can't just change the pulley to a V-belt pulley and hook it up as a one-wire. Anyone think otherwise?

Old 05-13-2003, 04:30 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
1 wire Alternator

Tom,

I just had an idea on the battery drain problem with this wiring setup. What if you fed the #2 prong with a 12 volt source that was hot only when the switch was on. That way the field couldn't get "excited" until you turned on the switch, right? Wouldn't that prevent the battery drain?

Old 05-14-2003, 11:40 AM
tgregoire
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 wire Alternator

I used a small wire for the jumper, I'm sure of the gauge off the top of my head but it doesn't require a very big lead. I will look at my setup and post the info regarding the wire size, alt model number and jumper lug.

You could wire the jumper to a switched source, should work fine but I have not had a problem with battery drain....YET.

Old 05-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Glackowitz
Senior User
1 wire Alternator

Just a quick note on installing the jumper.....IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.....1. it holds the regulator in an on state, meaning it is always will shorten its life. 2. when the regulator is on it takes power to run, therefore your battery will drain. 3. its ok to do, because the auto electrical shop will love you..coming in for parts all the time. just ask...I know. bought a 3 wire hooked up the jumper....few days later battery dead, charged the battery back up...fine for a few days then dead again, charged it back up...now not as good due to old battery, ok new battery...now wont charge...alt dead... in for repair and guy asks how I had this hooked up...so I explained it to him.....did I get an earful...well now its a 1 wire and only ran me about 30 plus labor and it looks like new now.

Just My .02

Glack

Old 05-15-2003, 07:46 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
1 wire Alternator

Like I said, buy a chrome 1 wire for 95 bucks or less for a non chrome at a local parts store and do the job right the first time. May cost more now , but what is your time and agravation worth in the long run. I would rather spend my time cruising around in the old truck!

Chrome looks good too!

Old 05-15-2003, 12:00 PM
tgregoire
Senior User
1 wire Alternator

WOW, sounds like you guys have had alot of problems with this setup. Mines been in and working flawlessly for 3 years. Haven't replaced the battery or the Alt. Maybe I'm just lucky.....but with my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

But then again maybe I will just run the jumper from a switched 12v source and that should solve both of the issues that Glack has pointed out.

Old 05-15-2003, 01:29 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
1 wire Alternator

I would get the 1 wire alt. Altinator problems are the worst and you can't drive your vehicle with out one.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:02 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
1 wire Alternator

Would somebody PLEASE verify the wiring hookup for this? Several references have been made to running the jumper wire to the #2 terminal always followed by "I think". I have yet to see a positive statement as to exactly how the wiring is done...

Old 05-16-2003, 08:43 AM
fatfords
Elder User
1 wire Alternator

Vern,
Here is how I did my 10SI and modified the GM wiring harness. The two pin connector on the side of the alternator has a large guage (10 on mine) red wire (terminal #2) and a small brown (20 awg) wire (terminal #1). When looking at the alternator with the pulley forward, the #1 terminal is on the left side and #2 is on the right side of the two pin connector.

The brown wire is deleted. This wire provides the ground to the dash board idiot light when the alternator is not operating.

The red wire is cut off and looped around to the "batt" terminal on the back of the alternator. Be sure you secure the other end (if you're modifying an existing harness). If you are starting from scratch, loop the wire from the connector to the "batt" terminal and then to the battery. A fusible link would be appropriate at the battery.

I remember seeing a pigtail at NAPA that contained the two pin connector and about a foot of wire to extend the harness, if needed. This would be a good place to start if you do not have the connector.

Good Luck,

Old 05-16-2003, 08:16 PM
medicpg
Senior User
1 wire Alternator

Before I beat this thing to death, I am going to go to the yard tomorrow and yank one out of a wreck. I figure worst case I can use it as a core. So what Year GM comes with a 1 wire anyone know? I will need a V Pulley. And then does that wire go to the Pos side of the battery?

Old 05-17-2003, 06:54 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
1 wire Alternator

Medicpg,

I wish it were that simple. There is no GM/Delco alternator that comes as a one-wire. Thus, all the conversion talk here. It's an aftermarket phenomen. You can spend about $35 to buy a kit to convert a three wire to a one-wire or you can try what's been suggested here using a jumper wire.

Old 05-17-2003, 11:32 PM
medicpg
Senior User
1 wire Alternator

Does the wire go to the positive terminal of the battery?

Old 05-18-2003, 06:09 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
1 wire Alternator

Originally posted by medicpg
Does the wire go to the positive terminal of the battery?
The one-wire alternators have just the large BAT wire which goes either directly to the battery or to a common battery post like the starter solenoid.

Old 05-19-2003, 06:47 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
1 wire Alternator

You can buy a 1 wire alternator localy, just go to any good parts shop, most performance and speed shops have them on the shelf. Like I said, $95 will buy a nice chrome one. JC Whitney also carrieds them for the same price. No need to try co convert one over or look for a core.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:15 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
1 wire Alternator

Brian,

There's no need to convert one if you have 95 bucks to spend on a new alternator! You would be surprised what an old retired guy on a budget would do to save 95 bucks (especially since I have three good 3 wire alternators sitting in the garage).

Quick Reply: 1 wire Alternator