Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tig Welder Question

Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
1951flatheaddave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tig Welder Question

I know you get what you pay for but.....

I was looking at this TIG welder on Ebay and was wondering if anyone had used a type like this:

200 AMP DC TIG INVERTER WELDING WELDER HF ARC STARTING DIGITAL LCD TIG200 | eBay

I really want a Miller Diversion 180 but it will be over $2,000 all said and done and for the occasional once in awhile use. I am not opening a fab shop or planning on using this to make money. Its for my own personal use.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

What do you guys think? If there is something comporable in the middle let me know.

This is one of those I dont NEED it, I WANT it. I dont plan on doing anything heavier than 1/8 or 3/16 with the tig. I have a mig for heavier metal. I would like to learn how to use it because the welds are much cleaner.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Alot of those welders and plasma cutters are made in Italy. I say this because I had a cheap brand plasma cutter that was made in Italy and it worked great. It is is in my buddy's shop now because he gave me a bigger machine that was to big for what he was cutting. I know others will disagree but it will do just about any welding you need to do. If you are already a TIG welder you may want to save up for your dream machine but if you are a newbie I say buy it and learn/improve your skills until you need the fancier machine. My TIG is probably about 25-30 years old and works fine. Do I want a newer machine with all the adjutable parameters, YES, but the money is better spent else where at this point.

I say get it.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Dave you can also look at Eastwood.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
I will check Eastwood out for sure. The way I look at it is I still have to buy the cylinder and cart anyways. I have never tig welded before but when I bought my plasma cutter I was glad I went with the miller xtteme 375, I live it. I don't use it much, maybe once a month, but I never worry about it not working. I just wasn't sure the reliability of these cheap foreign machines.

I agree, money is much better spent in other places right now.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
oldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to all
I did a quick check on google (not good) I'd save up and buy a brand you know you can trust Miller,Lincoln,Hobart etc. and the ones from are probably not bad at all (depending on delivery cost)
Just my opinion of coarse

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
Just checked out eastwood, they have a 200amp tig welder for $900 that seems like a great deal. I could be wrong but I am thinking for the price and the fact this is 200 amp and does aluminum this is a great deal.

The miller I was looking at is 180 amp and was double the price.

You guys think the eastwood one is the way to go?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
dmack91
Elder User
dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.
All of the reviews I have read on Eastwood have been good, but I don't have any first hand knowledge.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
I have used the Eastwood machine and it works well, has the adjustments you need, I'd buy it. From the layout and design, I believe the Eastwood is made by or is a very good clone of a Lincoln. That cheap one is really an arc torch not a true TIG welder, note there is no gas regulator. don't waste your time or money.

Don't buy a cart! It's a perfect welding practice project!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
oldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to alloldmerc is a name known to all
At least you will be able to get consumables,parts and service are good too or their good name would soon be worthless .

Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 AM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
Speaking of consumables....can I get these at a local welding store or are these specific to eastwood?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Aguas
New User
Aguas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just an FYI, you can get the Miller Diversion 180 for about $1800 and the 165 for $1300 shipped from Cyberweld. There is also a Hobart version of the 165 for $1250 or it's available at Tractor Supply.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
I am really torn between the miller 180 and 165, someone suggested looking into the eastwood 200 though. I really want to explore all my options and make the best choice.

Thanks guys. Still not sure what way to go...

Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Like I said, I teach welding, have used the Eastwood. If I was in the market for a TIG tomorrow, I'd buy the Eastwood without thinking about it. If you are going to be doing a lot of out of position welding (welding done while standing or laying down, overhead, etc) you might find a torch with a finger control more convenient than a pedal.
Consumables are standard. You do want a dedicated grinder for tig tungstens tho, don't use one that has been used for any other metal.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
Thanks AX Racer, I have never used one before and just figured that different machines had their own unique consumable parts.

You seem to feel pretty confident about the eastwood, It must be worth it. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM
wallster
Elder User
wallster has a great reputation on FTE.wallster has a great reputation on FTE.wallster has a great reputation on FTE.wallster has a great reputation on FTE.
Dave, I bought a Miller SD180 Syncrowave tig welder about eight years ago and it was a great unit. I was able to weld very light gauge steel and it also had the ability to weld aluminum. After about a year, I found that I never used it. My mig welder is a miller mig 175 and although I can't weld aluminum (unless I adapt a spool gun somehow), I can still weld 20 gauge sheet with it (which is pretty darn thin).
I had over $2K. into the tig (including welding rods, collets, cups, a variety of tungsden electrodes, and a bottle of argon (you'd need a 50/50 mix of argon and helium). The syncrowave was nice because it used a foot control which made starting the weld very easy.
I see these for sale on craigslist occationally so you may want to keep your eyes open on there. I would stick with Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, or Esab because finding consumables for the "off brand" machines is a problem. The Miller Maxstar line is pretty decent too (and smaller to manuever).
Good luck,

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tig Welder Question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.