Sponsored by: Moser

Tunes for GAS

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
+1 for 5Star. Wow, seems like alot of threads re: tuners lately. I guess thats to be expected with the price of gas 2x what it should be Chandler, maybe if you and I keep pimping for Mike we can earn like Subway points towards some new tunes or something huh? Tunes can do some for a gas engine, just nowhere near what they did for my 6.0. A 120 hp tune scared the crap outta me
Haha nice Tim. How about Mike coming up the east coast with a mobile dyno and him giving a few of us some live tunes????? Ill keep dreaming!!!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm takin whatever he's givin', lol! Dreaming right with you. I just wish gas wasn't so high I'd like to give my 91 octane tune a run. Someday it will be back down, maybe when the new President takes office?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM
parkgt
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm takin whatever he's givin', lol! Dreaming right with you. I just wish gas wasn't so high I'd like to give my 91 octane tune a run. Someday it will be back down, maybe when the new President takes office?

Since gas prices are due to global supply and demand, plus speculation how will a new president lower gas prices?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by parkgt
Since gas prices are due to global supply and demand, plus speculation how will a new president lower gas prices?
Are you aware of the largest EXPORT from the US in the last year? Yes thats right, gas. You dont think just maybe without an agenda to promote hybrid/electric cars could do something to keep our gas in our borders?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Hey fellas, just remember, general chat is NOT the place for a political battle. Take that to the Club if you want...keep it outta here.
Thanks.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Hey fellas, just remember, general chat is NOT the place for a political battle. Take that to the Club if you want...keep it outta here.
Thanks.
I thought the same, sorry but i just had to defend my statement. Off my soapbox now

Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 AM
SWAT KHAN
Senior User
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Chandler hit the nail on the head.

Couldn't agree with him more.

Please do yourself a big favor and stay away from the canned tuning devices.

If you do have an EB, I strongly suggest you wait until SCT or Diablosport get their tuners on the market. I would not trust Edge (and I have an Edge/Gryphon CTS with custom tunes from PHP).
hey bro,
everybody says contact mike, but how? whats his phone number? if u cant give it to me, where can i get his number? who is he? i have an 02 f150, 5.4l with 110000 miles on it, i want it to wake up alittle bit, and i like the sct livewire and wana get a costum tune, im in alaska and we only have 87, 88.5 and 90 octane, im gonna be moving next year and taking my truck to PA or FL, so do i have to change my tunes when i go there? is it possible?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
5Startuning.com or PM fordmdb

Old 04-19-2012, 09:34 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MCDavis
I run tunes in my '06 from Mike Butler at 5 Star Tuning. He's a site sponsor and a great customer service example. I would suggest you call, email, or send him a PM with your questions:
5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

Overall driveability is the best way to describe what benefits a tune in a gas truck provides. The power increase is noticeable, but not huge. The torque comes in a little sooner, but that's likely due to more aggressive lockup in the converter. Honestly, the reduction in DBW lag is probably the #1 thing you'll recognize if you obtain a tune.

To each their own Parkland. A diesel is an entirely different beast when it comes to prgramming. Much easier to bump the fuel pressure and obtain HUGE gains.
Would I tune a gas vehicle? YES, over and over. WHY? Well the factory does leave something on the table. You can get more aggressive with certain strategies (like TC lockup) where the factory did not, and still do it safely. I have about 12k miles on my tunes...and I love the way the truck runs with them. So much in fact that I've gone from an 87 octane tune which was good, to a 93 octane tune which really wakes up my 6,000lbs beast. Even with fuel prices where they are...the 93 tune will stay. If I'm not cramming my foot down her throat...she returns better mileage on the 93 tune than on the 87 tune...enough in fact to return the cost increase per fill up.

Anyway, there's my $.02. Enjoy!
Originally Posted by SWAT KHAN
hey bro,
everybody says contact mike, but how? whats his phone number? if u cant give it to me, where can i get his number? who is he? i have an 02 f150, 5.4l with 110000 miles on it, i want it to wake up alittle bit, and i like the sct livewire and wana get a costum tune, im in alaska and we only have 87, 88.5 and 90 octane, im gonna be moving next year and taking my truck to PA or FL, so do i have to change my tunes when i go there? is it possible?
Hey bro, link to Mike's site given in my previous post.
Shotgunz gave you the info too.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Steve Koozer
New User
5 star tuning

Well after one week of running a 5 star tune for my 2012 scab 4x4 5.0 yote on the 87 Perf tune I can say that the boys at 5 star know what is going on when it comes to tuning a gas engine and drive train. Mileage wise I am down a bit from the stock settings but I have been hitting the go pedal hard just to see the look on the faces of other guys driving other trucks when leaving the lights. No it is not the be all end all of power increase though there is some, but driveability and proper down shifting when you mash the pedal is there when you need to pass on the freeway. I am going to be making a 400 mile run tomorrow and returning on Sunday night so I will have a good Idea how the Eco tune for 87 is going to compair to what I was getting stock. So far I am very happy with the Perf tune and I suspect I will be in the same frame of mind with the Eco tune. Pen and paper and fuel recipts will tell the true tale over 800 plus miles of highway driving.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by Steve Koozer
Well after one week of running a 5 star tune for my 2012 scab 4x4 5.0 yote on the 87 Perf tune I can say that the boys at 5 star know what is going on when it comes to tuning a gas engine and drive train. Mileage wise I am down a bit from the stock settings but I have been hitting the go pedal hard just to see the look on the faces of other guys driving other trucks when leaving the lights. No it is not the be all end all of power increase though there is some, but driveability and proper down shifting when you mash the pedal is there when you need to pass on the freeway. I am going to be making a 400 mile run tomorrow and returning on Sunday night so I will have a good Idea how the Eco tune for 87 is going to compair to what I was getting stock. So far I am very happy with the Perf tune and I suspect I will be in the same frame of mind with the Eco tune. Pen and paper and fuel recipts will tell the true tale over 800 plus miles of highway driving.
Soooooo...... what are the results?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Steve Koozer
New User
Soooooo...... what are the results?

Well now that I have been able to run the eco tune for a while I am quite impressed. My highway driving mileage has improved by about 10% but the real kicker is my in town driving which is for the majority 50 mph max freeway driving with 40 mph driving with stop lights for the last 4 miles getting to work. I have seen an increase of 20% on my regular commute to work day in and day out which speaks volumes for the tune on this truck. The up shifts are sooner to increase the mileage but when I need to kick down to pass the downshifts and gear selections with the tune are about perfect. Even in eco the truck is much more driveable than what it was in its stock form.

The money I spent with Mike at 5 star is the best money I have spent yet on any truck I have owned and I am not just talking about saving money on fuel but how the truck runs and drives every day

So for Mike and all at 5 star tuning one thousand thumbs up from me

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Chillman15
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Steve Koozer
Well now that I have been able to run the eco tune for a while I am quite impressed. My highway driving mileage has improved by about 10% but the real kicker is my in town driving which is for the majority 50 mph max freeway driving with 40 mph driving with stop lights for the last 4 miles getting to work. I have seen an increase of 20% on my regular commute to work day in and day out which speaks volumes for the tune on this truck. The up shifts are sooner to increase the mileage but when I need to kick down to pass the downshifts and gear selections with the tune are about perfect. Even in eco the truck is much more driveable than what it was in its stock form.

The money I spent with Mike at 5 star is the best money I have spent yet on any truck I have owned and I am not just talking about saving money on fuel but how the truck runs and drives every day

So for Mike and all at 5 star tuning one thousand thumbs up from me
20% would be worth the prices of admission! Coongrats that is an awesome increase. I had pretty much written it off since the MPG stayed roughly the same but 20%! Wow that is great. Worth thinking about again! Thanks for the info!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:23 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Just FYI guys. Mike is having a Memorial Day Sale

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-day-sale.html

Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Chillman15
Freshman User
Thanks... That is great to know. I sent Mike an email with what I am looking for in a tune. Wait and see what he says.