1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Valair clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3
Is there one that would be good but still hold up to 400+?vis there such thing as a kevlar organic out there?
I think they could make you an organic with a HD PP that would hold 400.

They discontinued a lot of the Kevlar clutches because people wouldn't take the time to break them in properly.

I wanted to get a Full Kevlar clutch, but they no longer sell it unless you beg them to make it for you.

1k to 1.5k break in period on Full Kevlar clutch.

That means no towing, and no hot rodding for 1k miles....

I'll ask dan about a 400 HP organic.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I am gonna be ordering a Valair clutch for my truck and the one I'm thinking of getting is the one up from stock rated one. It's the NMU70263-01, rated for 350 HP / 800 ft.lbs. torque. I'll not tow heavy very often nor do I have a lot of mods. This should be sufficient or would the stock rated one be ok?
That's the one I have and it's holding up just fine. We'll see if it slips any when I turn up the tuning. I don't expect it to much if any. But yes, it is some kind of grabby. It did get significantly better with time but that's just in comparison to how it was new.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
terryknight
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
always go bigger than what you need

Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The full ceramic clutch is a really good clutch for 400hp daily driving. I've towed with it quite a bit and it tows pretty well, but if your backing up a heavy load up hill with it, it can suck unless you have a 4wd and can use low range to keep from having to slip the clutch. Backing trailers on level terrain isn't much of a problem if you can back a trailer at speed rather than constantly slipping the clutch.

The full ceramic doesn't do the slipping thing. It will let you slip it for a second or two, then you will have to decide if you want it engaged or disengaged b/c it's going to get bumpy if you don't decide. If you try to drive it like a stock clutch, it's grabby and it will retaliate against you by giving you a shake down. If you drive it like a grabby clutch and just stop slipping it, it's smooth and very drivable everyday and in city traffic.

If I had to pick another single disc clutch for my truck right now, it would be the full ceramic again. It has been an awesome clutch and it has about 60k miles worth of 100% abusive driving and drag racing on it. Burnouts, drag racing, even a couple sled pulls on it. 75% of this clutch's life was probably spent doing things we wouldn't recommend on a single disc. Sadly, it's time for it to go now. Stepping up to a full ceramic dual disc.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Thanks for all the insight everybody!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the Valair 400HP organic last year about this time. When I tow it's usually pretty heavy about 14k 5er probably only towed that heavy about 300 miles and about the same miles with a 6k boat. it seems to be working well, still a little grabby with no load though, hoping that will go away with more miles.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
The full ceramic clutch is a really good clutch for 400hp daily driving. I've towed with it quite a bit and it tows pretty well, but if your backing up a heavy load up hill with it, it can suck unless you have a 4wd and can use low range to keep from having to slip the clutch. Backing trailers on level terrain isn't much of a problem if you can back a trailer at speed rather than constantly slipping the clutch.

The full ceramic doesn't do the slipping thing. It will let you slip it for a second or two, then you will have to decide if you want it engaged or disengaged b/c it's going to get bumpy if you don't decide. If you try to drive it like a stock clutch, it's grabby and it will retaliate against you by giving you a shake down. If you drive it like a grabby clutch and just stop slipping it, it's smooth and very drivable everyday and in city traffic.

If I had to pick another single disc clutch for my truck right now, it would be the full ceramic again. It has been an awesome clutch and it has about 60k miles worth of 100% abusive driving and drag racing on it. Burnouts, drag racing, even a couple sled pulls on it. 75% of this clutch's life was probably spent doing things we wouldn't recommend on a single disc. Sadly, it's time for it to go now. Stepping up to a full ceramic dual disc.
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Dan telling me that the full ceramic clutch was not designed for towing, and if you towed with it and dicked it up they wouldn't warranty it. I bought the kevlar/ceramic and so far it's doing a great job holding down the floor in my laundry room I haven't had time to pull the trans and swap it out yet. Running empty is fine but much of a load at all and my poor little stock clutch slips.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Dan telling me that the full ceramic clutch was not designed for towing, and if you towed with it and dicked it up they wouldn't warranty it. I bought the kevlar/ceramic and so far it's doing a great job holding down the floor in my laundry room I haven't had time to pull the trans and swap it out yet. Running empty is fine but much of a load at all and my poor little stock clutch slips.
Not sure. I haven't talked to Dan about that, but I've used it for that and haven't messed it up too bad. LOL. He did tell me one day at a drag race, right after I finished racing that I probably shouldn't be racing with it. I don't think I told him I sled pulled with it.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which DD ceramic are you going with Travis? The solid or sprung hub.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bad12jr
Which DD ceramic are you going with Travis? The solid or sprung hub.
I believe it'll be a sprung hub. Not sure which pressure plate he is setting me up with either. They shoulda gotten it put together today and out the door. Should be here by Friday and in the truck it goes that night. First thing Saturday morning it'll be put to the test on the drag strip for it's first couple miles. LOL I do not recommend anyone break in a clutch like I'm about to. LMFAO

Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
terryknight
Senior User
I believe it'll be a sprung hub. Not sure which pressure plate he is setting me up with either. They shoulda gotten it put together today and out the door. Should be here by Friday and in the truck it goes that night. First thing Saturday morning it'll be put to the test on the drag strip for it's first couple miles. LOL I do not recommend anyone break in a clutch like I'm about to. LMFAO
porlly not the best way. hope she holds

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
When are you gonna put slicks on it and see What it will really do

Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordpride
When are you gonna put slicks on it and see What it will really do
Sometime after it will actually spin both wheels!!! LOL

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
aaaaaah I didn't realize you were a one wheel wonder.

I can get mine to some what hook at 15psi of air on street tires but it gets real lose around 60mph

Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordpride
aaaaaah I didn't realize you were a one wheel wonder.

I can get mine to some what hook at 15psi of air on street tires but it gets real lose around 60mph
I should have a locker in it, slicks, and different traction bars by the world finals this year. I think finals are in October.

Quick Reply: Valair clutch ?