Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another hi torque starter ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another hi torque starter ?

Does any one have this starter on the trucks?
Is the price to cheap to be good.
NEW FORD 7.3 LITER POWERSTROKE DIESEL STARTER Higher Torque! - NEW NIPPONDENSO STARTER

Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
It looks identical to the DB electrical starter. I loved mine for quick starting but I kept breaking them. I went back to OEM

Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
It looks identical to the DB electrical starter. I loved mine for quick starting but I kept breaking them. I went back to OEM
So are hi torque starters overrated?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
I loved the way it starts but it would last about 3 months past the Warrenty then give up the ghost.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
Ok thanks. Thats not good for me espeically when i have to ship it frpm Hawaii.
Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This place here claims to have the original Nippondenso

100 NEW Nippondenso 12 Volt 13 tooth Starter: Starters &amp Starters

cheaper too

Old 03-29-2012, 04:28 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
It says it's a 4kw, so is that more cranking Power then stock?
Look good and for 35.00 you can get a 5 year warranty.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM
lhud
Elder User
I too dealt with the 'knock-off' starters from DB Electrical - they are made in China. The real Denso starters are made in Japan and will run you around $400. I purchased the 'real thing' and do not worry with my starter anymore. Unlike many folks my truck is used mainly for work on the road and can't tolerate the chance of being stranded on the road somewhere other than home.

Good luck,

Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 PM
gary-dee
New User
Originally Posted by lhud
I too dealt with the 'knock-off' starters from DB Electrical - they are made in China.
I had just gotten a DB last week and put it in over the weekend - Got about 4 starts out of it before it died - glad I didn't leave the driveway. Says right on the starter "Made in China".

I was able to run to NAPA and grab one of their replacements for $135 ($66 core) - RAY 2446770 - Box says made in Mexico - at least it has a 3 year warranty and is available locally.

Side by side - they appear exactly the same.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 108 Posts
If you buy a Nippondenso "style" starter, or one that says it is Nippondenso or Denso and costs less than $389, you are getting a Chinese knock-off unit. Some will last, but my experience with 3 of them is that 66% will NOT last.

I finally went with a Mitsubishi starter from Nations Auto Electric, which is the starter they claim to run on their own personal 7.3's. Been running for over a year with no trouble. They also said to avoid any of the denso "style" knockoffs, even though they have them and sell them... they just do not hold up reliably.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I have a 'real' Denso starter in my dually. Its a 5.2HP gear-reduction starter and makes the truck start silly-fast. I'd have to look, but I'm sure I have 100k miles since I installed it. Worth every penny (~$400???). After 3 napa units, I was OVER IT and bought the Denso.

My DB experience was also poor. That said, I will sell you a brand-new DB starter for $100 shipped.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM
gary-dee
New User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
After 3 napa units, I was OVER IT
DB quoted $443 for the "real" Denso (225000-8420) - sounds about right.

How would one find a true Denso starter locally? Don't think the "dipsy doodle" auto parts stores have them.

What trucks came with these starters from the factory... or did they? I believe the number I crossed for the NAPA rebuild was for an Excursion... Except for possible space restraints, you would think that all the later 7.3's would have come with this unit in any F series.

My truck is non-business and only get used about every other day or so, until we pull the toy-hauler every month or so. Still, there is nothing as frightening like hearing a "click" when you miles away from home... I may have to dig into the pocket a bit deeper - going back to my non-gear reduction starter would be like going 3 steps backwards!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I just might have the only good thing to say about the db starter, well it's my initials! Jk! I do have one in my truck and have been having real good luck with it. Does that mean it wont break on me tomorrow? No, of course not. But I can definitely see where some would want a better succes percent what is seen around. Only because I've never had to replace mine do I not have a problem with it. The day it leaves me may be different. However I did go through about 4 supposedly new mitsubishi starters from nappa. Finally a starter went out on a company truck and I put mine on it and got reimbursed through the company. Only way I could get my money back. That's when I ordered the db starter.

Another contributing factor to why my starter may be holding up is cause of my weak compression. Never really thought about it till today!
Keep us posted!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like your typical parts store lifetime warranty starters...

I have replaced 4 starters on 5 powerstrokes in 1.5 million miles...

Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by gary-dee
DB quoted $443 for the "real" Denso (225000-8420) - sounds about right.

How would one find a true Denso starter locally? Don't think the "dipsy doodle" auto parts stores have them.

What trucks came with these starters from the factory... or did they? I believe the number I crossed for the NAPA rebuild was for an Excursion... Except for possible space restraints, you would think that all the later 7.3's would have come with this unit in any F series.

My truck is non-business and only get used about every other day or so, until we pull the toy-hauler every month or so. Still, there is nothing as frightening like hearing a "click" when you miles away from home... I may have to dig into the pocket a bit deeper - going back to my non-gear reduction starter would be like going 3 steps backwards!
I forget who I bought mine from, but it was online somewhere and I had it shipped to me in Philly - where the last NAPA starter got changed in their parking lot... Luckily, the 6spd means I have the option to park on a hill or get a push start so I can at least drive myself to the autoparts. I think it was NAPA starter no. 2 my co-worker forced me to drive his new megacab cummins to go get the starter. He sure was proud.

I did have to clearance the cross-member on both trucks to get the Denso-type starter in. I guess thats kind of an important detail!! A couple of minutes with the big grinder made room for it.

Quick Reply: Another hi torque starter ?