6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New, confused and need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gcapell
Senix, I am actually buying a 2012 Stoneridge and I see that you have one too. I literally am very green when it comes to these diesels. I don't know what you mean by DPF. My worry is that I just shelled out 32k for this truck and it's a crap shot whether it will last for the 7 yr loan that I have it on. People told me to go diesel and that they will run forever. These were Ford people that I met on campgrounds.

Would you be so kind to give this novice a check list of what I should be doing with my truck. I'm not a mechanic and generally need to pay someone to do things. I have the tuner as the previous owner took the 6gun and IQ but left the Ram Air and exhaust. So I bought one figuring that is what the previous owner had and probably I could use. Though even with that I'm too scared to play with it much. I too keep it on level 2 though I don't know if I'm actually getting any better mileage.

I can live with the poor gas mileage as I kind of figured that was what I was getting myself into getting this beast.

I love this truck but a little concerned cause I'm not an experienced owner and afraidvim going to do something not stupid but rather something wrong since I'm a novice. I bought this truck to pull my 5th and I just don't want to get stranded with my wife, four yr old son and two dogs.

Any tips or diesel for dummies cheat list you could hook me up with. thanks man and I really appreciate your input as well as all the others on this post.

Geoff
The DPF is the diesel particulate filter.
It filters the exhaust after the engine, before it goes out the tailpipe. It is ceramic, and when people talk of the truck going into "regen", they are referring of "the regeneration process", when the engine sprays fuel during the exhaust stroke, to bring up the exhaust gas temperatures (EGT) enough to burn the soot away sitting in the filter.

This process can cause fuel to get into the oil.
It also wastes a lot of fuel.

The reason people buy these programmers for these trucks, is that they can disable regen, meaning you just put on a straight exhaust pipe with no filter, and also the tuner can disable the EGR function, where there is a valve that opens and lets exhaust into the air intake, which the purpose is to meet emission regulations.
Wether or not you have to do emission tests where you live will change what path I would recommend.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Senix, I am actually buying a 2012 Stoneridge and I see that you have one too. I literally am very green when it comes to these diesels. I don't know what you mean by DPF. My worry is that I just shelled out 32k for this truck and it's a crap shot whether it will last for the 7 yr loan that I have it on. People told me to go diesel and that they will run forever. These were Ford people that I met on campgrounds.

Would you be so kind to give this novice a check list of what I should be doing with my truck. I'm not a mechanic and generally need to pay someone to do things. I have the tuner as the previous owner took the 6gun and IQ but left the Ram Air and exhaust. So I bought one figuring that is what the previous owner had and probably I could use. Though even with that I'm too scared to play with it much. I too keep it on level 2 though I don't know if I'm actually getting any better mileage.

I can live with the poor gas mileage as I kind of figured that was what I was getting myself into getting this beast.

I love this truck but a little concerned cause I'm not an experienced owner and afraidvim going to do something not stupid but rather something wrong since I'm a novice. I bought this truck to pull my 5th and I just don't want to get stranded with my wife, four yr old son and two dogs.

Any tips or diesel for dummies cheat list you could hook me up with. thanks man and I really appreciate your input as well as all the others on this post.

Geoff
Smotrs runs the 6 gun as well.

What model did you buy (stoneridge)? Mine is the 36 UL I think. I have the dual bathrooms coming in at 14K.

Check list for the truck. Many things.

Follow the severe duty schedule to start with. 5K oil changes and 10K filters. Use only OEM filters made by Racor.

Pull all dipsticks weekly! Always give everything on the motor a visual.

Your use for the truck will be good for it so I would not expect alot of problems with the regen system as working the motor hard tends to have the better running trucks.

Look at all radiator seams to ensure no leaks. Carry a bit of ford gold coolant with you. Only use that or the napa one that has the ford numbers on it.

Get some coolant test strips from napa or ford and test your coolant nitrates. Let me know where you stand on that one.

go to the ford owner website and register. You will need your vin. There you can get all the owner manuals and see the different letters from ford on the truck.

Scott

Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Gcapell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Senix, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Been away most of the week. My Stoneridge is the 2012 37RB. I too have the two bathrooms. Ours also has the bunk room with the loft which is key since I have a 4yr old boy. I actually have it on order so I won't get it til June. Really looking forward to it.

I bought my 2008 Ford F350 6.4 to tow the 5th. I don't know how well the previous owner serviced the truck. It's very clean and has all the upgrades including a DVD Factory installed entertainment system so whoever owned it before me wanted all the goodies. I'm thinking that due to the high mileage that maybe he was a boss or something and drove mostly highway miles. I'd like to think that anyway but who really knows.

I was told by a Ford dealership that most of the injector problems were on the dumps and others who did not regularly maintain their vehicle.

I just need my truck to not blow up and leave me with a 15k bill. I've only put 3k miles on it since I bought it two months ago. I plan on oil changing it every 5000 miles. I also use the fuel injector cleaner that I put into my gas tank every other fill up. That stuff is costly too. Like 10 bucks but hey its better to be safe then sorry.

I appreciate the advice you and Parkland have been giving me. I'm so new to all this stuff but eager to learn more.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 PM
senix
Super Moderator
You will do great with that truck

Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just need my truck to not blow up and leave me with a 15k bill. I've only put 3k miles on it since I bought it two months ago. I plan on oil changing it every 5000 miles. I also use the fuel injector cleaner that I put into my gas tank every other fill up. That stuff is costly too. Like 10 bucks but hey its better to be safe then sorry.

I appreciate the advice you and Parkland have been giving me. I'm so new to all this stuff but eager to learn more.
Hey I'm pretty sure senix knows more than I do, but theres a few ideas I'm going to add, ....

1. Read a bit about fuel injector cleaners, make sure you know what exactly you're putting in there. Lubrication in the fuel is the major concern in these newer diesels. I add lubricant EVERY fill, and it doesn't cost 5$ each time. If you have a DPF on the truck or not, will change what additives you can add, so remember that when reading advice.

2. If the truck is getting parked for a few days, a week, or more, go fill it RIGHT up, like I mean, right full, so that theres barely any air to expand or contract and suck moist air into the tank. I always keep mine right full, and theres literally ZERO downside to doing this, if you ever go to use it, it's full.

3. With oil changes, try to use a bit of judgement, when I had a DPF and EGR running, my oil was terrible, runny, and clumpy before 5000 miles, so I started changing it at 3000 miles. Now that I deleted the emission stuff, after a few oil changes, it still looks new at 3000 miles when it used to look really crappy and smell like fuel a bit.

4. Don't forget the fuel system. Learn a bit about it, and take care of it. When you say 15,000$ bill, that would be a fuel system failure. Changing the fuel filters ever 2nd oil change is common practice it seems, although I know of at least one 6.4 engine that didn't get a fuel filter change till 100,000 KM's (60,000miles) and never had an issue..... Don't really know what to say, but I change mine every 10,000km's (6000miles) for the heck of it.

5. Be aware that forums such as this consist mostly of people that either "mess around" with their trucks, or have issues and are looking for input. So although it might look like a lot of people are having trouble, there are a lot of guys driving around as we speak that don't bother posting issues on the internet.

6. These trucks might be a little touchy and temperamental compared to older generations of diesels, but there are also plenty of guys that never take care of them, just don't give a crap, and still get a healthy lifespan out of them. Don't feel like you're driving a time bomb. If something blows up, it blows up; any vehicle could potentially die on the side of the road, even a brand new one. Just take care of it, know it's weaknesses, and enjoy it.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Gcapell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both of you have been tremendously helpful. Thank you both. As far as the additive I've been using a product called Diesel Kleen. Every other fill up. But I try and keep my truck close to filled all the time if possible

Happy Easter and thanks again for your friendly advice.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Parkland is too kind. I haven't posted much as I am on travel but just take your time and read the tech folders. I have used diesel kleen in the past as well.

Best thing you can is to read the manuals and the tech folders on the site.

Then pop that hood and start checking out that motor. Check fluids weekly, pop the hood at fuel stops when towing all basic stuff that i would do for any of my vehicles.