6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM
axel66
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Critterf1, it does still have the ebp sensor and I had it out to make sure it was clean, other then that I am not sure how to test it

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm subscribing......can't do a link cause I'm on mobile, but the thread "help, need a turbo on vail pass" is mine...I'm having the EXACT same problem. Check out my thread..

Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by axel66
Ok, with KOEO on the one wire I have five volts then go to the middle wire I have about 1.4 volts. From what I understand that should be five volts still, correct? If I'm doin the pressure test right I am getting no pressure at all while idle.

Your Not getting the whole Storey the 5 Volts is just the V-REF signal its good to know that the vref signal is getting there though

• The PCM sends a Vref of 5.0 volts
to the engine sensors except for
CMP and CKP which generate
voltage through the collapse of a
magnetic field.
• The PCM uses 5 volts as the
reference voltage to maintain
consistency throughout all
operating conditions.
• The Vref is conditioned by the
sensors then returned to the PCM
for use in determining the fueling

strategy.

You need to test the signal return and compare the voltage you get to the scale in the sensor overveiw in the 6.0L Bible

The best way is to get a scangaugeII or AutoEnginuty with ford bundle and test at KOEO and Low Idel and again at High Idel. I suppose you could do with a DVM but you will need a helper at High Idel

Do to the fact the sensors need to be within 0.5psi of each other might be tuff to use a Volt reading with a converting from scale. And maybe you could just compare the volt readings to get an Idea But Im Not shure if each sensor modifys the volt readings the same or equall since there ALL pressure sensors I think they each work the same but not shure

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Bump. My truck has consistently continued the issue over 1900' in elevation. Has the issue been resolved axle? I'm replacing my engine, and the people I ordered it from said that there is an adjustment procedure for the vgt. Has anyone heard of this. I'm wondering if I just had my chain yanked.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:57 PM
axel66
New User
run6.0run, no my issue has never been solved, just kinda been dealing with it cause i cant seem to get any answers. I am at or over the 2000 feet elevation most of the time and it seems if i am pulling a hill it will do it if I dont gear down and its almost lugging a bit, if it starts to do it I just put my foot into it untill it gears down then it stops and runs great again.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I'm wondering if its a maf issue. I thought I read something in diesel power, it was one of the diesel power challenge trucks, and they had a boost fooler to combat an issue that sounded like what we are experiencing.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 PM
axel66
New User
Would yours stop if you got it down a gear too? Was it only at higher elevations? How can you adjust the vgt? Mine did it with the stock turbo and I was sure it was a turbo issue so I put in the powermax and it still continued. I had a green cold air intake when it started then went back to stock and now have a banks and it has done it on all three. Maf makes sense though.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Would yours stop if you got it down a gear too? Was it only at higher elevations? How can you adjust the vgt? Mine did it with the stock turbo and I was sure it was a turbo issue so I put in the powermax and it still continued. I had a green cold air intake when it started then went back to stock and now have a banks and it has done it on all three. Maf makes sense though.
There is NO WAY to Manualy adjust the VGT Its electronicaly controlled by the sensors Listed Below

05+trucks dont have a MAF Not shure about 04

You have to get the Operating Values for sensors Below take the reading at KOEO & Low Idel & High Idel

BARO
MAP
EBP
Maf sensor too if you have one

My Bet is on one of these sensors being Bad

You need a gauge that reads Live Data

Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Performance machine told me that I could adjust the vgt. I told him I'd like to know how if so. He said he would put a write up on it with my engine. I think they're full of it. But, I never had the issue on a stock turbo. But I had to drive with my stock one broken ( i was half way up vail pass and i went ahead n pulled the grade, loaded) and wasn't sure that when the old one broke, it didn't mess something else up. I've only seen this issue with the power max. I thought my issue might be related to the powermax with a manual trans. Btw, what is the sensor that's on the air intake plumbing before the turbo, I always thought it was the maf.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by run6.0run
Btw, what is the sensor that's on the air intake plumbing before the turbo, I always thought it was the maf.
It IS the MAF sensor (as well as IAT #1). The only 6.0L engine that doesn't use a MAF is a later-build '05 model year. For '06 and '07 the MAF sensors returned.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I need to get out my old diesel power mags and find the article that mentioned the turbo prob. I remember that they said this guys truck was having issues in the high elevation(they were in Colorado) so they added something, can't remember what it was. Axel, have you had your truck in any lower elevation and been able to replicate the popping? I live at 900' and my truck never has done it here. Only around 1900' n above.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by m-chan68
It IS the MAF sensor (as well as IAT #1). The only 6.0L engine that doesn't use a MAF is a later-build '05 model year. For '06 and '07 the MAF sensors returned.
Theres some great Info there^^^ You Schooled me again Mike
I thought 05+ none used Maf Now I know the whole story

So another way to tell would be to verify the sensor itself after the Air Filter

6 wires sensor would be MAF/IAT

2 wire IAT Only

Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
PMM told me they called Garrett and Garrett said that there had been a couple issues and they said something in the vgt would get messed up in transit. I can't remember exactly how it was explained to me, but when I get my engine, and whether the info about it is, or isn't with the engine, then I will call them back and get more info. I haven't yet, but maybe a call to Garrett could help.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
But yes, it stops when I get the truck back into the power range. It pops when it's bogged

Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BLADE35
There is NO WAY to Manualy adjust the VGT Its electronicaly controlled by the sensors Listed Below

05+trucks dont have a MAF Not shure about 04

You have to get the Operating Values for sensors Below take the reading at KOEO & Low Idel & High Idel

BARO
MAP
EBP
Maf sensor too if you have one

My Bet is on one of these sensors being Bad

You need a gauge that reads Live Data
Blade, you guys would know more about what the numbers should be than I would. But now I know how to post YouTube links. Next time I'm in a position to replicate it, I will get the ae out n record those numbers in live data in real time. Of course, I need a drivetrain first. Lol

Quick Reply: Need help