Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Flowmaster 817345 cat back stainless steel exhaust kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Flowmaster 817345 cat back stainless steel exhaust kit installed

I bought the Flowmaster 17345 aluminized cat back exhaust kit about 4 years ago. In that time the tailpipe rusted through at the lowest part and it also rusted so bad at the exhaust tip area that the polished tip that was included fell off and went missing, presumably, in a ditch somewhere. I could have just replaced the tail pipe and tip but the rear muffler hanger also rusted completely off and was not supporting the muffler. This caused the outlet pipe of the muffler to shear flush with the canister. There was not much of a way to repair it except to weld on a new outlet pipe. By the time I got a new tailpipe, exhaust tip, muffler hanger and welded on a new outlet pipe it was not much cheaper (plus all the time looking for parts) than an entire kit.

I knew I wanted a stainless steel replacement kit but also didn't want to spent a fortune. The 817345 kit had a great price point but I was hesitant to purchase another Flowmaster system. I was never really happy with the hangers and clamps of the 17345 kit and in fact the low quality of the hangers is what finally did it in. However, other kits were just too expensive and I really did like the sound of the 70 series muffler that was in the aluminized version. So after seeking the advice of everyone here and receiving positive comments I decided to give Flowmaster another shot and purchased 817345 from Street Side Auto. They had the lowest price by far and I was able to Google a 10% off discount code on top of that. My grand total with free shipping came to $301.49. (In the past few weeks since I ordered their price has gone up and I can no longer find the 10% off discount code). Street Side Auto quickly filled my order and in a few days my kit arrived in excellent shape.

After unpacking it and looking over the parts I was very pleased that I decide to get this kit. The first thing I noticed was the rear muffler hanger was all very well made with 1’” wide band type clamp as well as the standalone clamps where the same type. The hanger looks like they will hold up much better than the cheap one that is included in the aluminized kit. The tailpipe hanger appears to be the same as the one in the aluminizied kit but it may or may not be made from better material.

Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  223.1 KB

The tail pipe and muffler are of course all stainless steel and should stand up better to the rough salt filled winters we have.

Name:  pic2.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  184.1 KB

The polished stainless steel exhaust tip is the same as the one included in the aluminized kit but it should last a very long time.

Name:  pic3.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  184.1 KB

Installation was straight forward (after I got all the old stuff out) and shouldn’t pose a challenge to most anyone handy with a wrench. I didn’t bother trying to save any of the old parts and went at it with a saws-all and a metal cutting blade. It take all of 10 minutes to remove everything except the short extension pipe in front of the muffler from the cat extension pipe. That took me about an hour to separate everything. Installation was about another hour to get everything lined up and adjusted. I did have an issue on my initial test drive with the muffler inlet side coming disconnected so make sure you really tighten up the clamps. I will most likely have everything welded but for now I’m using the provided clamps.

I am very pleased overall with the kit and it is well worth the price premium over the aluminized version. I wish I would have spent the money 4 years ago - I would have saved myself money and grief in the long run. Not only would I have got a kit made with better parts and material that could have held up much longer but I would have also received Flowmaster’s lifetime warranty if something did fail. The aluminized version only includes a 3 year warranty. Now, though, I won’t have to worry about buying another kit again.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. It will save others from a bad outcome. I may add a new setup like this one day and I am a smarter consumer now. How do you like the sound? Is it much louder than stock?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
I haven't had a stock exhaust in over 4 years since I replaced it with the aulminized version so it's hard to remember. I do recall really liking the sound over the stock exhaust and I still enjoy it. The muffler (70 series) between the two kits is the same design but made with different materials so it should provide similar sound.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Great report

Reps sent.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am debating getting one of those as well. I have a 3 valve motor though so my kit would not be the exact same. I currently just have a Flowmaster 50 welded in place of the stock muffler. I am completely happy with the sound but the guy who installed it did not do a good job on it, the tailpipe rotated upward about 1"+ and it seems to now collect water when it rains. The guy who installed it was a 1 man shop, and actually was hauled away to jail for something drug related.

I really like the way my Flowmaster 50 sounds but I am worried if I get this kit it will be more quiet that I would like it to be.

The reason I am contemplating this kit is because the STAINLESS version is cheaper than what local shops are asking for just a your typical aluminized custom bent cat-back.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Krewat
Great report

Reps sent.
Thanks for the rep Art!

Originally Posted by cbzdel
I am debating getting one of those as well. I have a 3 valve motor though so my kit would not be the exact same. I currently just have a Flowmaster 50 welded in place of the stock muffler. I am completely happy with the sound but the guy who installed it did not do a good job on it, the tailpipe rotated upward about 1"+ and it seems to now collect water when it rains. The guy who installed it was a 1 man shop, and actually was hauled away to jail for something drug related.

I really like the way my Flowmaster 50 sounds but I am worried if I get this kit it will be more quiet that I would like it to be.

The reason I am contemplating this kit is because the STAINLESS version is cheaper than what local shops are asking for just a your typical aluminized custom bent cat-back.
I'm not familiar with the sound of the FM50 so I really can't compare them. I do like the FM70 sound. It's distinct without be annoying and has a nice growl but not overly loud.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
In you guys opinion, is the stainless option worth it? I live in WA, we dont have road salt here, but it is very wet haha... Just trying to decide if I should save my money or go all out..

Can you possibly post a pic of how the tip exists the truck??

Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up. My friend has a 70 series on his chevy 350 and it sounds GREAT. I like how my Gibsons sound but sometime i wish my truck was louder...hmmmm

Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by cbzdel
In you guys opinion, is the stainless option worth it? I live in WA, we dont have road salt here, but it is very wet haha... Just trying to decide if I should save my money or go all out..

Can you possibly post a pic of how the tip exists the truck??
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <wontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <wontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <wontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority9; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> In my opinion it's worth it at least with the Flowmaster kit. Besides being made with 409 stainless steel over aluminized steel the stainless steel kit includes better hardware and a lifetime warranty vs 3 years for the aluminized kit. The price premium was about $70 ($230 for the aluminized vs $300 for the stainless steel) when I bought my kit but prices have gone a bit higher now ($230 vs $420). I would say it well worth it if you have salt laced roads but still a good value even for those that don't have to deal with it.

Here are a few pics of the exhaust exit (ignore the mud). Keep in mind you can adjust the tail pipe angle and the tip location.

Name:  installpic1.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  236.0 KB

Name:  installpic2.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  290.0 KB

Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by acf6
Nice write up. My friend has a 70 series on his chevy 350 and it sounds GREAT. I like how my Gibsons sound but sometime i wish my truck was louder...hmmmm
I really like the FM70 sound too but, to me, it's not loud by any means. You think the FM70 is louder than the Gibson?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Monster-4
I really like the FM70 sound too but, to me, it's not loud by any means. You think the FM70 is louder than the Gibson?
If your v10 is anything like his 350, then yes. His truck has that perfect growl noise i think should come from a truck. He said mine sounds pretty nice and throaty

Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

This is my exhaust. it quiets down alot when its warm, but you can still hear it idling (if its not too loud around the truck haha)
Cold Ford 5.4L - YouTube

Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Well with the firing order of the V10 it sounds a lot different than a V8 so it would be hard to compare. I do think the FM70 gives my truck a nice growl that's distinctive. My Dad says he can always tell it's me coming up the hill that is near their house.

EDIT: Nice video. I'll try posting one tomorrow of my exhaust.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
I came back to this post and forgot all about posting a video. I'll try to do that some time. In the meantime I cut open my old aluminized FM70. It should be the same design as the stainless steel one.

Inlet side:

Name:  Inlet.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  258.8 KB

Cross section looking toward inlet side.

Name:  Inlet cross.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  246.1 KB

Outlet side:

Name:  outlet.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  219.0 KB

Cross section looking toward outlet side:

Name:  outlet cross.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  223.4 KB

Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM
boi_hawks
New User
Great info on FM...

Thanks for the information on the FlowMaster. The one question I have is, besides the sound, how did it do for you overall with performance? Right now I'm running the stock exhaust on my '08 F250 V10. The resonator in this thing is a POS and keeps going out and vibrates like there is no tomorrow. Been replaced twice under warranty but keeps breaking down so its time to go custom. I've heard FM generally helps because less restriction, but I haven't found much on this from V10 owners specifically.

I like a nice sounding engine too, but my bigger concern is towing! I'm being told by a friend to get a FM, but he is a Chevy owner, needs all the help he can get ! Any feedback as to what the FM did regarding engine performance would be great.

Good information and I like the pic's...thanks.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 817345 cat back stainless steel exhaust kit installed