6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rancho's out - Bilstein's in - Even worse than I thought...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
Rancho's out - Bilstein's in - Even worse than I thought...

So, last week I posted about my first tow with the new truck and 5th wheel. Stock Rancho's faded after about 200 miles of towing and it was like I was driving Uncle Buck's car. The back end of the truck was on a pogo stick the rest of the trip home. So, I took the advice of many here including BigSarge and ordered some Bilstein 5100s. As I took out each of the four stockers, I compressed them and put them on the picnic table. I wanted to see if it was as bad as BigSarge showed in his video. Well, I got done installing #4 Bilstein and put all my tools away. I went in and got a beer to celebrate a job well done. Cleaned up. Then I remembered the shocks on the picnic table. When I went outside I couldn't believe what I saw. All but one was still 100% compressed! BigSarge's in the video were ever so slowly creeping out. Three of mine had no rebound at all! I guess he got a good batch... LOL. Oh, and better yet, my truck only has 850 miles on it....

Here's a pic after 1-2 hours of full compression.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
So, last week I posted about my first tow with the new truck and 5th wheel. Stock Rancho's faded after about 200 miles of towing and it was like I was driving Uncle Buck's car.

"I'm Buck Melanoma, Moley Russels wort"... Love that movie..

The back end of the truck was on a pogo stick the rest of the trip home. So, I took the advice of many here including BigSarge and ordered some Bilstein 5100s. As I took out each of the four stockers, I compressed them and put them on the picnic table. I wanted to see if it was as bad as BigSarge showed in his video. Well, I got done installing #4 Bilstein and put all my tools away. I went in and got a beer to celebrate a job well done. Cleaned up. Then I remembered the shocks on the picnic table. When I went outside I couldn't believe what I saw. All but one was still 100% compressed! BigSarge's in the video were ever so slowly creeping out. Three of mine had no rebound at all! I guess he got a good batch... LOL. Oh, and better yet, my truck only has 850 miles on it....
I was reluctant to switch out my FX4's with another set of Rancho's after seeing how crappy the factory shocks were but I'm totally satisfied with the 9100's. If Bilstein would make a black 5100, I'd have given them a second thought. The 5100's I had on my 2000 got tore up by the salt (PA winters) and looked pretty bad... Just keep something on them if you're in a salt area, otherwise you'll be fine.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. so now take her for a drive and tell us what you think.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM
System
Prolocutor
You read my mind. Go for launch in 5-4-3-2-.......

Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
System
Prolocutor
Ok, I live in a rural area. Within 1 mile I have everything from fresh pavement to dirt roads. Just did a loop and hit all kinds of conditions. The truck is 100% improved. Now, I have to say I was worried. Most people loved these shocks, but I did read some reviews that said the 5100's made their truck ride like a dump truck. Funny thing about products being good or bad is it's all opinion. I'm not one of those guys who bangs his chest and says, "hey, a truck should ride like a truck" when someone asks how to make a vehicle ride better. I'm all about comfort. So, my worry was, not to say that anyone who loves 5100's was wrong, they just like a different feel. Well, after my ride I can say, I COMPLETELY agree with those who love them. These things are awesome. Ride is smoother, less bouncy, and more controlled without feeling overly firm which was my worry. I was going to put my Ranchos on craigslist since the paint is all still pretty and all. But, after coming home from my ride and finding 3 still 100% compressed, they are going in the trash.....

Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM
jmcquarry
Senior User
I put the Bilstein 5100's on in December, towed a fifth wheel a couple weeks ago from Arizona to Dallas, could not be happier. However, not real happy with the leveling kit that was installed, maybe installing a Carli Pin Top 2.5 and if so, bye bye Bilsteins and hello King shocks, may have some slightly used 5100's for sale in the near future!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Raymow
Freshman User
Ok, I live in a rural area. Within 1 mile I have everything from fresh pavement to dirt roads. Just did a loop and hit all kinds of conditions. The truck is 100% improved. Now, I have to say I was worried. Most people loved these shocks, but I did read some reviews that said the 5100's made their truck ride like a dump truck. Funny thing about products being good or bad is it's all opinion. I'm not one of those guys who bangs his chest and says, "hey, a truck should ride like a truck" when someone asks how to make a vehicle ride better. I'm all about comfort. So, my worry was, not to say that anyone who loves 5100's was wrong, they just like a different feel. Well, after my ride I can say, I COMPLETELY agree with those who love them. These things are awesome. Ride is smoother, less bouncy, and more controlled without feeling overly firm which was my worry. I was going to put my Ranchos on craigslist since the paint is all still pretty and all. But, after coming home from my ride and finding 3 still 100% compressed, they are going in the trash.....
This is all good to know, I posted a while back if any body had any issues about the 2012 cheap Rancho shocks and I didn't get much reply, because I am not happy with mine at all, I now have 2500 miles on my truck and I think it is definitly getting worse thanks for the info but I am still debating the 5100 or 4600

Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Fontana
Senior User
I had the same idea when I switched to 5100's. The stock shocks were not worthy of saving or trying to sell. I tossed them in a dumpster. The Bilsteins improve the ride quality beyond expectations. I am completely satisfied.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by Raymow
This is all good to know, I posted a while back if any body had any issues about the 2012 cheap Rancho shocks and I didn't get much reply, because I am not happy with mine at all, I now have 2500 miles on my truck and I think it is definitly getting worse thanks for the info but I am still debating the 5100 or 4600
Your post was probably passed because of all the activity from BigSarge's video. He kinda started a Bilstein purchase frenzy. Bilstein was several weeks back logged with rear shocks. I think many people did them by 2 because of the high demand that I think was due to this forum.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I become less and less impressed with the FX4 Rancho "branded" shocks every time I read these types of threads.
On principle, I would go with Bilstein.

Seems there is little discussion on the basic 4x4 stock shocks.
I almost want to upgrade mine simply to see what I'm missing out on.

Last edited by kper05; 03-21-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: edited, these threads not this thread...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by jmcquarry
I put the Bilstein 5100's on in December, towed a fifth wheel a couple weeks ago from Arizona to Dallas, could not be happier. However, not real happy with the leveling kit that was installed, maybe installing a Carli Pin Top 2.5 and if so, bye bye Bilsteins and hello King shocks, may have some slightly used 5100's for sale in the near future!
Save your money and just get the Ford snow plow prep package springs. $85.00 and they level the truck perfectly. My truck actually sits a bit higher. I wonder if I could put some taller tires.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
whats all this i hear about leveling? isnt the truck level stock? or are we just being picky (to what extent?) also, anyone have fox shocks? im pretty sure im dumping the ranchos sooner than later. bilstein or fox???

Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
System
Prolocutor
My truck with the snow plow prep has a small rake which is how it should be. Having a truck 100% level is fine if your a soccer mom and never load it or tow. If you carry some weight and it's level to start with, the front end will be ready to launch when loaded. My 09 250 was dead level from the factory. Even my aluminum sled trailer would dip the back end and make it look overloaded. I had to swap in the 350 blocks to keep it level when towing. Looked better empty with a rake too IMHO.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
whats all this i hear about leveling? isnt the truck level stock? or are we just being picky (to what extent?)
F250 sits about level stock.
F350 has a taller block in the rear so it sits nose low.

I am looking to lift my F250 a couple of inches.... I plan on adding the F350 blocks and a leveling kit... done= lifted and level.

Originally Posted by jmcquarry
Which leveling kit do you have ??
I am looking to buy something next week.... sounds like I may not want the brand you have....
_

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Guess I never noticed as none of my trailers are more than 10k lbs and i dont bog down my bed with stuff

Quick Reply: Rancho's out - Bilstein's in - Even worse than I thought...