1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51/52 6v to 12v conversion fix/wire replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Those currents sound really high. Are they at 12v with a reducer? I had the stock factory electric wipers and they drew a measured 3.5 amps with a reducer. I think a more typical value for a heater fan is 5 amps on high speed.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:47 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, they were the readings using my meter from the 12v input source to the volt reducer.
Ran each device separate, then together.
First time I've ever seen the wipers or heater fan work since 1986! LOL

The fan sounded better the 2nd run and the wipers seem to have a bit of wobble in them when they run.
T

Old 05-28-2016, 09:57 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
photos

Main FLickr album for rewire project:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcanis...57663613269459

I finally managed to get a few photos posted, this is still a work in progress tho.

T

Last edited by doublecanister; 05-28-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: forgot sumthin
Old 06-07-2016, 11:57 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
update

hey folks,

hope all are well.

Didn't get much done this weekend, but I did get my fan relay kit in the mail.
Started working on adding that last night.

I'm not sure of this but I think i'm going to run 2 fans, 1 electric, and the belt driven fan.

Actually went to a local car show this Saturday, saw a wide spectrum on car's and trucks with 2 fans, some had pusher fans in front of the rad, some had pullers on the engine side of the rad (some had both elect + belt driven).
It's probably stupid to run both, but i'm not building a race car here, and every time it's ever got close to overheating was from sitting in traffic or after a long ride 55+mph and say going to a drive thru.
I'm going to make this a manual fan, I did get a water-jacket switch(with the kit) but I'll need to make a spot to screw it in, i'm low on access points right now due to running 2 water temp gauges.
So going manual switch for now.

Hopefully within the next few weeks (of Saturdays) I should be done.

Till then!
T

Old 06-13-2016, 12:41 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
about done...

hey Folks,

hope all are well,

I worked on the Truck all day Saturday and got it put back together enough I can about call this thing done!

Ordered a "pusher" fan from Summit, got the 1959CFM one with the S blades for less noise. They had a higher cfm one but it was straight bladed, not sure if it REALLY would have made much difference.

But, I did read that Pusher fans are better as an auxiliary fan and a
Puller fan is best for the Main fan/only fan.

Anyways, so far everything is working as planned, just need to get a radio, install the new fan, get some wiper blades and door locks and fix the brakes and I'll be done for now.

Pictures have been a bit "blah" as far as "ooh isn't this neat" kinda photos,
if anyone would like to see any specifics, let me know I can take some and post (posting on this site is a bit fun tho).

T

Old 07-20-2016, 12:05 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Pretty much done here

hey Guys,

just thought I'd check in, with a status on this rewire.

I've pretty much finished this job THANK GOODNESS!
it was a bit long with only Saturdays as my work day but it's done and everything seems to be working for now.

Actually I just re-wired that 12v to 6v reducer to tidy it up and make it less damageable (since it's home made). But wipers and heater motor work, and I think (minus the radio and speakers) the only other item that needs wire hookup is the cig lighter and it's light.

It's been right dern hot here and even with the ac on in the garage it's been humid to the point of "taking the fun out".

I think my next point of focus is brakes and upgrading to a dual res master cylinder.
I hear for safety reasons it's a good idea and if I can sort it out on the 51 Truck, the 66 Mustang is next!

Well, holler if anyone has any questions but after doing this I was pleased with the Kwik-Wire harness and it's quality.
Heck, I only blew 1 fuse doing this entire job, I thought that was amazing!

Thanks yall for all the help and suggestions, it was greatly appreciated.

T

Old 07-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Glad you got'r done. I've done the 66 Mustang thing too. Three of them.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice work! Love the kitteh.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:46 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
just an update

Hey Folks!

Due to family health issues EVERYTHING got put on the back burner this year (around July) but all that's finally over (Dad got very ill but he's back to his grumpy old self) now!

He's happy with what I did with the re-wire but still bitchn about getting it painted, says I should paint it with a brush! (like he used to in the old days). Mumbled something about "powder puff" paint job kits they used to get.

One thing I noticed with the truck, I may have put the kwickwire headlight relays in the wrong location, for some reason I felt the desire to put them under the hood on the driver side inner fender.

Well, the headlights that are in the truck were there for who knows how many years but I ended up loosing the low beams on the ride home a while back, flip/flopped the 3 relays I have (2 for lights 1 for horn) and got them working.

Not sure if I got a bad relay but it works for the horn and hi-beam but not low beam? I scratched my head on that one but either way, it's not far from the oil breather tube and it gets rather hot under there so unsure if it will affect the electronics, I may need to pull it back into the cab.

Test #2 is going to be a new set of halogen headlights first and another test drive.

Other than that issue, it's been running well, no other electrical problems, will def work on it more in the spring!

Still no radio either but it may be getting bumped to the end of the list, still have a hole in the floor I need to fix...

Well, hope all have a Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / New years!

T