6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Pop N Lock PL8250 Installation Clarification.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
I wasn't that impressed with the bracket. It took some shimming and tweaking to make the lock work to my liking. Not quite plug and play. But since then it has been flawless, so no complaints so far.
It must have been binding? I read about that, with earlier installs. They included 2 washers with mine to eliminate that. I just mentioned that above.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:13 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine's a 2016 truck bought at the end of 2016. Don't know about earlier install issues. Mine would engage the lock about 3/4 of the way instead of fully engaging it.

Maybe my kit was old or something. It did come with some washers, but it still took some tweaking to make it lock to my satisfaction each time the lock was engaged.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Mine's a 2016 truck bought at the end of 2016. Don't know about earlier install issues. Mine would engage the lock about 3/4 of the way instead of fully engaging it.

Maybe my kit was old or something. It did come with some washers, but it still took some tweaking to make it lock to my satisfaction each time the lock was engaged.
What did you end up doing to modify it to work properly?

Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't remember exactly. I played with different washer combinations and bent the bracket a little from what I recall.

Kind of a trial and error process. With the plate off the tailgate you can hit the button and watch how far the actuator moves the lock.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:22 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
So I'm finally getting around to installing my pop and lock. I had a question earlier that I didn't see answered, so I'll ask again. Hopefully someone can answer.

I read that the proper color wires are violet/gray and gray/tan on the passenger side. With that connection, the single press unlocks the drivers door only, and a double press unlocks all doors which would include the tailgate (part of the second press to unlock).

But I have my truck set to unlock all doors with the first press. If I use the same wires, the violet/gray and gray/tan, will the tailgate still unlock, or does Ford use different color wires to the passenger doors for the second click? I doubt it and imagine it's controlled by the computer, vs dedicated wires for one click vs two click unlocking.

Anyone know for sure? Can you test for me if you hooked up to these wire colors, but are currently using the two stage unlock...

thanks!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:45 PM
digitalshooter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steveg_nh
So I'm finally getting around to installing my pop and lock. I had a question earlier that I didn't see answered, so I'll ask again. Hopefully someone can answer.

I read that the proper color wires are violet/gray and gray/tan on the passenger side. With that connection, the single press unlocks the drivers door only, and a double press unlocks all doors which would include the tailgate (part of the second press to unlock).

But I have my truck set to unlock all doors with the first press. If I use the same wires, the violet/gray and gray/tan, will the tailgate still unlock, or does Ford use different color wires to the passenger doors for the econd click? I doubt it and imagine it's controlled by the computer, vs dedicated wires for one click vs two click unlocking.

Anyone know for sure? Can you test for me if you hooked up to these wire colors, but are currently using the two stage unlock...

thanks!

On my 2013, I connected on the passenger side. Don't remember which colors but I use stage 2 setting for all other doors and the tailgate to unlock. I changed to stage 1 in the settings and yes all doors and tailgate lock and unlock with one click.

I use stage 2 because I feel I would wear it out as much as I lock and un-lock.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:12 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Here is the door lock diagram and the colors.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:00 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Holy crap, ask and you shall receive! Larry, thanks. Looks like you have the same truck as me except for the LB. I do see you have the Titan tank. I'm thinking about putting the 50 gallon in mine. I have some questions I'll PM you about if you don't mind.

But back to the topic at hand, I see from the wiring diagram that my assumption is correct, only the Violet/Gray and Gray/brown(tan) are used, so it's computer controlled. Sa-weet!

Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

But back to the topic at hand, I see from the wiring diagram that my assumption is correct, only the Violet/Gray and Gray/brown(tan) are used, so it's computer controlled. Sa-weet!

to save wires, and additional weight/hardware on electrical parts, things like these solenoids have only two wires..

when powered voltage/ground the relay triggers one way (push)
when powered ground/voltage it triggers the opposite way.. (pull)

thats how door locks work..

Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Holy crap, ask and you shall receive! Larry, thanks. Looks like you have the same truck as me except for the LB. I do see you have the Titan tank. I'm thinking about putting the 50 gallon in mine. I have some questions I'll PM you about if you don't mind.

Feel free to PM. It may take a few days to answer as I will not have access to a computer for maybe a week. I fly out tomorrow morning for a month visit to Thailand.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
to save wires, and additional weight/hardware on electrical parts, things like these solenoids have only two wires..

when powered voltage/ground the relay triggers one way (push)
when powered ground/voltage it triggers the opposite way.. (pull)

thats how door locks work..
Yup, I read that. Kind of cool...Anyone know which is which for lock/unlock? Would save me a bit of testing to know which is which. Maybe the wiring diagram tells me that, I need to look at it carefully.

And Larry, thanks! Have a good trip.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:38 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Does anyone know the wire size of the truck wiring we are tapping into? I'm going to use PosiLocks and want to buy the right size. I'm talking about the violet/grey and grey/brown wires on the passenger side. I figure they are around 18 or 20 gauge, but I'm hoping someone knows.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:36 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
I got mine fully installed this past weekend. In a word, AWESOME! My goodness I can't tell you how much I missed having a power lock on the tailgate. I already had the actuator in the tailgate, from earlier this year, but I ran the wires under the truck, into the cab, and then connected on the back of the large connector at the passenger side kick panel.

Works great!

Attached Images